Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
You asked for historians who had written about Jesus as a person who existed on earth and I gave it to you...whenever it was written...it IS THERE. He was a real person on the earth.
Have you ever done any research on the 'writings' of the aforementioned historians? I suggest you do so!

Quote:
it is impossible to PROVE that God exists because it is something you experience in your heart.
You are correct, that's why it's laughable to an atheist when a theist says "I KNOW god exists". You don't know it at all...you just believe it to be so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:

There is some archeological proof of much of the historical truths in the Bible: kings, nations, etc.
....and how does that prove that the bible is true or that your god exists? You know dude, I lived in London for many years, quite near to Baker Street, where Sherlock Holmes lived. If Baker Street exists...does that prove that Holmes must have lived?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Well now, that's exactly what I'm saying isn't it? In order to have the evidence you first have to believe. That's not evidence is it?

You are correct, that's why it's laughable to an atheist when a theist says "I KNOW god exists". You don't know it at all...you just believe it to be so.
Miracles are evidence of God and they are not based on belief. Father Pio's miracles were documented, and his are just a fraction of the many documented modern miracles that happened because he was the instrument of God. This is not a belief, but a fact based on evidence. Read all about him, his stigmata and the evidence.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...lic-saint.html

I choose to believe in the truth, as the center of the Bible proclaims.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-bible.html

Look at the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. He was resurrected from the dead by God. This is the truth and not a belief because it is a fact that some people simply choose to ignore. The Apostles were witnesses, and the Apostle Peter became the first Pope. Anyone can choose to ignore the evidence. The evidence of Father Pio's stigmata, and other modern miracles performed by God through him and many others like him. How can a blind girl without pupils see without a miracle from God? This is not a belief or a myth, this is evidence of a fact and the truth.
Atheists should prove otherwise.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...in-images.html

Last edited by sun; 06-24-2007 at 12:58 AM..

Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Miracles are evidence of God and they are not based on belief. Father Pio's miracles were documented, and his are just a fraction of the many documented modern miracles that happened because he was the instrument of God. This is not a belief, but a fact based on evidence. Read all about him, and see his stigmata and the evidence.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...lic-saint.html

I choose to believe in the truth, as the center of the Bible proclaims.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-bible.html

Look at the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. He was resurrected from the dead by God. This is the truth and not a belief because it is a fact that some people simply chose to ignore. The Apostles were witnesses, and the Apostle Peter became the first Pope. Anyone can choose to ignore the evidence. The evidence of Father Pio's stigmata, and other modern miracles performed by God through him and many others like him. How can a blind girl without pupils see without a miracle from God? This is not a belief or a myth, this is evidence of a fact and the truth.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...in-images.html
Oh don't get me started on the Shroud of Turin!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 AM

[quote=sun;940578]
Quote:
Miracles are evidence of God and they are not based on belief. Father Pio's miracles were documented, and his are just a fraction of the many documented modern miracles that happened because he was the instrument of God. This is not a belief, but a fact based on evidence. Read all about him, his stigmata and the evidence.
Investigations

He was subjected to several investigations. Fearing local riots, a plan to transfer Padre Pio to another friary was dropped and a second plan was aborted when a riot almost happened.[63] In the period from 1924 to 1931 the Holy See made various statements denying that the happenings in the life of Padre Pio were due to any divine cause. At one point, he was prevented from performing all his priestly duties (such as hearing confessions), except for saying Mass, and even that was to be done in private.

The founder of Rome's Catholic university hospital concluded Padre Pio was "an ignorant and self-mutilating psychopath who exploited people's credulity." [59] In short, he was accused of infractions against all three of his monastic vows: poverty, chastity and obedience.[60][61]

In 1923, he was forbidden to teach teenage boys in the school attached to the monastery because he was considered "a noxious Socrates, capable of perverting the fragile lives and souls of boys."

Pio of Pietrelcina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Look at the burial cloth of Jesus Christ.
I have.......and so have scientists......it's a fake!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Zeus WAS a God to the Greeks ! As an atheist I try to respect people's beliefs in whatever as long as they don't interfere with my being. As far as I am concerned if people genuinely believe in Tree Spirits, the Easter Bunny or God ( whatever name they give him or her) they deserve the same respect ( or disrespect if you are the intolerant type). It is churlish to claim that one unproven deity or "mythological" creature is somehow superior or truer than another. If it makes people happy and give them comfort, that is all that matters. Just because millions of people believe in one god as opposed to a dozen from a remote tribe does not make their belief system any the less important. Myths form part of people's belief system so in a way you could say they are intrinsically linked to each other.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 AM

110 posts, read 777,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Zeus WAS a God to the Greeks ! As an atheist I try to respect people's beliefs in whatever as long as they don't interfere with my being. As far as I am concerned if people genuinely believe in Tree Spirits, the Easter Bunny or God ( whatever name they give him or her) they deserve the same respect ( or disrespect if you are the intolerant type). It is churlish to claim that one unproven deity or "mythological" creature is somehow superior or truer than another. If it makes people happy and give them comfort, that is all that matters. Just because millions of people believe in one god as opposed to a dozen from a remote tribe does not make their belief system any the less important. Myths form part of people's belief system so in a way you could say they are intrinsically linked to each other.
Well said! This is exactly what I believe also.

One could also define "myth" by saying a myth is any story or legend about a deity or person or animal that the speaker doesn't happen to believe in whereas if it's something the speaker does believe in, then the same story or legend is either "part of the canon" or "scripture"!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:41 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Have you ever done any research on the 'writings' of the aforementioned historians? I suggest you do so!

Plad (if I may be so bold as to call you that)

NO ONE can convince you to believe anything that you do not want to believe. Even if it does exist. Many people swear the Holocaust didn't happen dispite all the evidence in the world.

The absence of proof is not proof of absence!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
I agree that Zeus was a god to the Greeks! He was, and maybe is. Some people consider the rocks and trees to be gods as well...that is an individual choice.

When referring to Christianity the religion itself can be very much like a myth! Religion being the act of doing things!

However, true Christianity is deeper then that...it has nothing to do with religion. It has nothing to do with the "good" that you do AND it has nothing to do with the "bad" that you do. A pastor could burn in hell and a murderer could go to heaven. It's all about weather you have accepted Christ as your Savior, and if your relationship to Him is real or fake, false, pretend. It's all about grace that God gives us because he loves us not because of anything that we do. And, it's all about our response to that grace and love that has been given to us.

p.s. I'm a dude-ette

Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Plad (if I may be so bold as to call you that)
Of course you may. It's a lot better than what most people call me!

Quote:
NO ONE can convince you to believe anything that you do not want to believe. Even if it does exist. Many people swear the Holocaust didn't happen dispite all the evidence in the world.

The absence of proof is not proof of absence!
I agree to an extent but for a person claimed to have been as important and influential as JC, abscence of evidence is, for all intents and purposes, evidence of absence.
It makes absolutely no sense that there would be no writings about JC in his own generation. There is no definitive evidence of a specific Jesus of Nazareth who preached and was crucified by Romans.

What does one accept as evidence? Most historical figures are based on their accounts by contemporaries. The existence of Julius Caesar is quite reliable in that he left writings. His death led to a Roman Civil War with battles recorded. Julius was known by the Gauls, the Greeks, and the Egyptians.

The same applies to Octavian, Nero, Constantine, and Theodosius. Cyrus and Xerxes of Persia were well documented by Persian and Greek historians and even in the Book of Daniel in your bible.

In the case of JC, he left no writings. The only accounts claiming to know him were the Gospels which were written by those who wanted to believe in him. Roman historians only mention that there were people who believed in JC. The Romans meticulously recorded the execution of rebel leaders, trouble-makers, rival Emperors, rebellious native kings, or over-ambitious generals. They spread the news of such executions to serve as warnings Examples were made of Vercingetorix of the Gauls, Boadica of the Icenii, Antonius and Cleopatra, Pompeii, and Queen Zenobia of Syria.

We should be questioning why the Romans did not make JC into another example but they fail to even mention it in official records. All of this makes the existence of a human JC a bit "suspect."

IMO, JC's divinity is clearly myth. It appears to have been copied from perhaps a dozen older virgin born god-men stories who died and resurrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality