Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in anything supernatural?
Yes 45 51.72%
No 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I voted yes with the caveat that "yes" really means "maybe". I say this because I have had certain experiences, but I cannot say for certainty that what I experienced is actually what I thought it was. Does that make sense?
Yes it does, actually. I would just tend to say that there is more likely to be a natural explanation. For instance, a remarkable answer to a prayer would have been considered proof of the supernatural power of prayer except that of course I wasn't praying and the event was quite unexpected. In short I was lucky.

I don't deny that some other events not so easily explained are regarded by me as not proven suprnatural whereas others would say 'supernatural until proven natural', but that's the semantic problem of the term.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
A definite, resounding maybe. I just don't know. I know a lot of people have thought they have seen ghosts or talked to dead relatives or had out of body experiences or etc etc... I don't recall ever having experienced the supernatural at any time in my life - but I'm not going to completely discount everyone else's experiences. Do I think there are most likely logical explanations for most things - yes. But I would not rule out the possiblity of forces beyond our understanding.
There are things in my life that seem to have been ruled by fate (maybe to some that would be God) but it could just be wishful thinking. I do think that there have been some signs in my life that have let me know when I am doing the right thing or am on the right path - and while I think that the universe is sending me signs - I know that a Christian would see it as God or Christ - or maybe a person of different faith would see it in the light of their own God or gods, etc.
So, like I said - a resounding maybe!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes it does, actually. I would just tend to say that there is more likely to be a natural explanation. For instance, a remarkable answer to a prayer would have been considered proof of the supernatural power of prayer except that of course I wasn't praying and the event was quite unexpected. In short I was lucky.

I don't deny that some other events not so easily explained are regarded by me as not proven suprnatural whereas others would say 'supernatural until proven natural', but that's the semantic problem of the term.
True. What we attribute certain events to may not be what they seem. I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about, though I won't go into everything as I am uncomfortable talking about some Comanche spiritual matters with non-Comanches. Thanks for your understanding.

In Cache, Oklahoma there is a fairly large Comanche population. Many Comanches, particularly very traditional elders, believe unequivocably in ghosts. There is no doubt in their mind. Cache is one of the old Comanche settlements that started during the reservation period (1867 -1903).

One night, a good ten years ago, I was spending the night in Cache at my friend's house after a powwow. I woke up in the middle of the night and I heard drums and people singing some really old Comanche songs in the woods behind his house. I thought that maybe people were having what we call a "49", but these weren't songs you'd normally hear at a 49 or even a powwow (I'll explain what a "49" is some other time). I also thought that maybe my friend had a CD in. I looked throughout the house and it definitely wasn't coming from the house...it was outside. I looked outside, but saw no one. I went back to sleep.

The next morning, I asked my friend if people were 49ing in the woods last night because I heard a drum and some people singing some old Comanche songs. He said, "No. You heard the ghosts. Sometimes they sing out there. Sometimes they come into the house and move things around as if they are looking at them."

I asked my grandfather about that and he said that yes, I had heard the ghosts. I didn't refute him as I think that it's a possibililty and also out of respect for grandpa. To this day, I wonder if it was indeed the ghosts of Comanches long past gone, alive people singing far from the house and in the stillness of the night the voices traveled, a figment of my imagination or one of those waking dreams. I honestly don't know.

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-20-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Wasn't it our dear MysticPHD who said "There is no supernatural phenomena, only misunderstood natural phenomena." or something thereabouts?

Wise words... Only a fool would say we currently know and understand all that is.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
A definite, resounding maybe.
I should have put maybe as an option. In fact after I did it I realized I wanted to edit the poll a bit, but it was too late by that time.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Wasn't it our dear MysticPHD who said "There is no supernatural phenomena, only misunderstood natural phenomena." or something thereabouts?

Wise words... Only a fool would say we currently know and understand all that is.
That's pretty much how I look at it. If I experienced something that seemed supernatural, I'd probably first assume it was just some facet of nature I had never heard of before, or that man had not yet figured out.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default no way.

If those are Mystic's words, I'd have to agree with him. "Supernatural" means, to me, something that has actually happened, historically or observably, but clearly outside of any actual laws of operation, even if we don't yet understand them.

For instance, I'm willing to bet that we may eventually learn to streamline gravity, warp it, deflect or reflect it so that we can bomb around the universe using those grav. forces of distant planets or suns, temporarily, to slingshot our way around without burning up hydrocarbon rocket fuel. Which is just silly and inefficient anyhow,...

But to suggest that some wizard could arbitrarily snap his fingers and make different things happen without apparatus or processes, make things move about, catch fire, disappear or turn into gold/lead/water/wine?

Nope. Not gonna happen. Not "super - natural". Like the kinds of things attributed to the Abrahamic God.

Last edited by rifleman; 07-20-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This does not have to mean God. It can include karma, reincarnation, spirits, impersonal supernatural forces (like the Tao), magic, and so forth. It can also include the elements of Western religion like God, Miracles, Heaven, and Hell. I'm not voting in this poll to avoid biasing, etc.

I think most atheists here are rational-materialist or metaphysical naturalist (fancy way of saying "No God and also nothing supernatural of any kind.") but I thought I'd put this up there in case I'm wrong.
In the very broad definition of "supernatural" in your post...yes, I most certainly do:
The OTHER-WORLDLY "MOJO" that would constrain otherwise reasonable individuals to devote THOOOOOOOOOOUSANDS of hours of their precious lives to the debate of, entities they don't believe exist and writings they equate to fairytales...is DEFINITELY supernatural.

It is proof-positive that either:
1. They are all missing a few marbles. OR
2. They are being acted upon by some "supernatural type" force.

I see it as #2...thus the "supernatural".

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I've experienced some events that a person might call 'supernatural', but I think there will probably a scientific explanation for eventually.

At one time people used to think the sun apparently moving across the sky was a supernatural event.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I believe in the supernatural the same way I believe in gods....Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality