Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You guys are doing it AGAIN! Asking questions about the "what, how, and whys" of the attributes assigned to God by the self-serving men that perverted the ancient writings. You may as well ask about the details of what Atlas was standing on as he held up the Earth.

Here, this will help to spare you much of this--Take it as a given that most of what is written in that book can't be counted on as legit because of the corrupting additions and deletions that occurred (that you ALL are already aware of) over the previous centuries.
Wait, weren't you the guy telling us that numbers matter when determining the truth of religious belief? Let's see how many people believe in the orthodox Christian theology being discussed here compared to your vague neo-gnostic version of the religion. I think I know which one will win that vote - and yet you want us to reject the obvious all time-winner in favor of some failed minority offshoot of the religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Wait, weren't you the guy telling us that numbers matter when determining the truth of religious belief? Let's see how many people believe in the orthodox Christian theology being discussed here compared to your vague neo-gnostic version of the religion. I think I know which one will win that vote - and yet you want us to reject the obvious all time-winner in favor of some failed minority offshoot of the religion.
Oooops! Everyone gets caught up in their own perspective...I didn't think about it from the Atheist side of the debate.

You certainly have a valid point there KC...and I understand that you would look for the most effective use of your snark, criticisms, and insults. It was not reasonable of me to expect you would pass up the literal Bible with all it's juicy over-the-top stories that have been inserted...it certainly is the biggest bullseye for you guys to shoot at! What ever made me think you WOULDN'T devote the most time and effort to it?

OTOH, it might be biting off more than you can chew...little teeny-tiny Atheism against Gigantic Orthodox Christian Theology. You're gonna have to hope for a "David and Goliath" rerun. Kinda ambitious...but I admire your tenacity.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
He had to ask because God is Almighty, Satan isn't.

John 8:44 mentions Satan's beginning as the Father of the lie.
You didn't answer my direct question....perhaps it is because you can't.

Provide scripture where this statement, that you made, can be found:

He created angels and some of them chose to disobey God, Satan being the first. When he disobeyed God, that's when he became Satan. It's all in the Bible for all to read.

Show us all where it says the angels disobeyed God including where satan disobeyed as the first and then was named satan after that point...afterall, according to you it is all in the bible for us to read...so please provide the scripture where it states this.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You didn't answer my direct question....
Avasa makes rather a habit of that..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM

It is in this way God is omnipotent:

Being the Source and Essence of EVERYTHING...God has the power of EVERYTHING.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It is in this way God is omnipotent:

Being the Source and Essence of EVERYTHING...God has the power of EVERYTHING.
Hmmm...that is actually an opinion/assumption...not a PROVEN FACT...you are aware of the difference are you not?

And please spare us the god is king claptrap....delusion of the masses does not make opinions/assumptions either proven or true.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Avasa makes rather a habit of that..
I am well aware of this and like so many other religious folk who spout nonsense that is not even contained within the bible...I felt it my duty to call her out on it.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
I felt it my duty to call her out on it.
Brava!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
He didn't create Satan. He created angels and some of them chose to disobey God, Satan being the first. When he disobeyed God, that's when he became Satan. It's all in the Bible for all to read.

God is going to get rid of Satan. That's also in the Bible.
It is also in the Bible that God enjoys evil. Note Job.

Why would God get rid of something He enjoys and created for His pleasure?

Ephesians 3:9
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 3:8-10
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Colossians 1:15-17
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Regards
DL

Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...that is actually an opinion/assumption...not a PROVEN FACT...you are aware of the difference are you not?

And please spare us the god is king claptrap....delusion of the masses does not make opinions/assumptions either proven or true.
First of all---there is no such thing as a "PROVEN FACT"...just what we think is a fact at any given time...and may find out later is not...like the many "PROVEN FACTS" that have been found to be erroneous. So "proof" ain't all it's cracked up to be to begin with.

There is as much evidence for "God Exists" as there is for "No God"..."No God" isn't a "PROVEN FACT" (by your standards) either...so why should "No God" be the preferred choice?

I know you never liked my premise of "fairness"...that posits, when an "either-or" decision is required, absent what would be considered "proof", other factors are logically to be considered. It is in that way an ad populum argument can be considered as a deciding factor. Again..."fairness" is key.

In Summation: Based on a "fair assessment", considering all factors..."God Exists" is the current "standard" until such time "proof" either confirms or shows otherwise.

As an end note..."God Exists" HAS been "proven" to my standards. Acknowledge the existence of the Universe...with all it's creative, controlling, and sustaining power...and you have acknowledged the existence of God. Read "MysticPhD" and you will learn TRUTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality