Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times

Advertisements

Although I am a Christian this does not offend me.
I cannot stand icons and statues that are supposed to represent Yeshua...
MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 04:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
sun queen wrote:
Quote:
How does the aclu know it is a picture of JESUS? Seems to me they're just trying to make noise for the sake of being heard. Did u know the legal system in America is based on Biblical principles? If u say no God in court then u say no to law and order.
Now you know we can't let those comments just slide by. I would imagine that it's one of those paintings that we're all familiar with which is just a representation of how people imagine Jesus. I won't even get into the issue that the common image we're all used to looks more like someone from Sweden than someone from the Middle East. Also, it's not true that our legal system is based on the Bible. Can you show me a law anywhere on the books that makes it illegal to worship false idols or to put another god before THE God? Of course not. All nations have laws regarding stealing, murder and some of the other behaviors that are considered in the Bible. That's because they're common to all religions and even nations that aren't religious.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
I don't like the ACLU and I don't think they're all for "equal" rights as I've heard before but I think they might have something on this one.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SLIDELL, La. -- The American Civil Liberties Union in Louisiana says Jesus has no place in Slidell City Court.

The ACLU has asked court officials to remove his portrait from the lobby within a week or face the possibility that the organization will file a lawsuit to force the issue.

Joe Cook, the Louisiana chapter's executive director, said several people have complained to the ACLU about the picture, and one has filed a written complaint, prompting the organization to intervene.

ACLU Wants Jesus Picture Out Of Slidell Court - News Story - WDSU New Orleans (http://www.wdsu.com/news/13544127/detail.html?qs=1;bp=t - broken link)
Soon we will see in the news: "ACLU suing to shut down every Christian church". or how about "ACLU wants pastors who say homosexuality and abortion are sins to go to prison for life".

The ACLU is THE most irresponsible and dangerour organization in the UNited States today. Not only that, the ACLU has long lost its purpose of fighting for civil rights. These guys are now wholly and fully controlled by anti-American and anti-Christian forces (namely George Soros and Michael Newdow).

Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Oh and the ACLU is so anti-Christian and pro-any other religion they are OK with University fo Michigan installing Muslim foot baths for students while the ACLU is opposed to Bibles or prayer in public schools... as long as the prayers are CHRISTIAN prayer.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
The ACLU would be a good organization if it always did things the way they were originally intended. Taking the Jesus picture down is something that needs to be done. Especially in a courtroom. The problem with the ACLU is that it seems to pick and choose only the battles that create big headlines. Not only that, but I think the ACLU has certain enemies that it likes to mess with. I do know that Christians seem to be harassed by the ACLU, but at the same time so does the majority of the white race. The ACLU could be a very good organization but to me they seem more of a publicity organization than a charitable one. Of course, being an atheist, I think they have fought more for the things I would like to see than most Christians would, but I just don't appreciate the manner in which they do it.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Agreed, take it out. It's pretty common sense.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Just in, It stays up for now! Amen, another win!!

FOXNews.com - Jesus Portrait in Lousiana Court Will Stay Up Despite Outcry From ACLU - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
So it's not just a picture of Jesus the words below the portrait that say:

"To know peace, obey these laws."

Now, to me, that either says Jesus endorses the court of Slidell, or it says that if you want justice you had better be Christian.

That's pretty scary.

Imagine you walked into a court with a picture of Mohammed (hypothetically) and a sign saying the same thing? If you're a Christian might you wonder if you'll be treated fairly?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
If you want to see religion in court go take a look at Iran or Saudi Arabia. Both are God-based governments where God's law reigns in court. Their judicial systems are based upon the ten commandments and the laws of the prophets.

If after seeing those courts in action you still want a judicial system like that then I'll take what you mean seriously. Until then I will assume that your desire for your religion to reign supreme not just in your life but in the lives of everyone else whether they want it or not, is a poorly imagined fantasy without a basis in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality