Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,327,616 times

Advertisements

Maybe marriage is a man-made institution and not derived from "God". And maybe monogamy is biologically impossible.

We are mammals, and less than 3 percent of mammals are monogamous. If that!

And speaking of biological evidence, it has long been widely known that humans possess certain characteristics normally of non-monogamous species. For instance, a monogamous species is also monomorphic, that means that both males and females are the same size. Polygamous species, however are dimorphic, the male is larger than the female. This, obviously, is how we humans are.

Also there is a reason why males constantly reproduce sperm and females are born with a finite number of eggs. This defines our sexual and social behavior.

So, again, maybe monogamy/marriage is a man-made delusion.

Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon etc. etc...were polygamist, and with good reason. There is absolutely no basis for thinking monogamy is a requirement of Jehovah, Allah or Zeus. None!

However, monogamy makes inheritance, taxes and other legal matters easier to control and process. Which is why it's the norm and the law in western society.

Do not be confused with what you feel in you 'heart'(love) and 'sex'(biology). One has nothing to do with the other. Having sex is about fun and feral passion. Making love, or being in love, on the other hand, is about taking stock of and cherishing another person. I've done both, and there is a difference.

BTW, I'm married, and the reason why I haven't cheated or spread my seed on my wife is b/c I love her and would rather hurt myself before hurting her, and b/c......I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard.

Peace!

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 06-29-2007 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Do not drink and type!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Maybe marriage is a man-made institution and not derived from "God". And maybe monogamy is biologically impossible.

We are mammals, and less than 3 percent of mammals are monogamous. If that!

And speaking of biological evidence, it has long been widely known that humans possess certain characteristics normally of non-monogamous species. For instance, a monogamous species is also monomorphic, that means that both males and females are the same size. Polygamous species, however are dimorphic, the male is larger than the female. This, obviously, is how we humans are.

Also there is a reason why males constantly reproduce sperm and females are born with a finite number of eggs. This defines our sexual and social behavior.

So, again, maybe monogamy/marriage is a man-made delusion.

Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon etc. etc...were polygamist, and with good reason. There is absolutely no basis for thinking monogamy is a requirement of Jehovah, Allah or Zeus. None!

However, monogamy makes inheritance, taxes and other legal matters easier to control and process. Which is why it's the norm and the law in western society.

Do not be confused with what you feel in you 'heart'(love) and 'sex'(biology). One has nothing to do with the other. Having sex is about fun and feral passion. Making love, or being in love, on the other hand, is about taking stock of and cherishing another person. I've done both, and there is a difference.

BTW, I'm married, and the reason why I haven't cheated or spread my seed on my wife is b/c I love her and would rather hurt myself before hurting her, and b/c......I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard.

Peace!
Wow. I don't know what to say.

Wow.

Let me make sure I have this straight.

Monogamy just makes legal issues easier to deal with.

Love and sex are disconnected.

But you haven't cheated(sex) on your wife because you love her.

Am I the only one who sees the issues here??

Again....Wow.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,182,481 times
Quote:

PHM glad to see your still around!
So does that mean if you or someone else with this opinion could justify you were full feeling your fun needs and it really wasn't cheating "JUST SEX"?
I think my husband would have a REAL hard time selling me on this one and I'm positive he wouldn't accept this from me either.

Forgiving is one thing forgetting is ANOTHER!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Wow. I don't know what to say.

Wow.

Let me make sure I have this straight.

Monogamy just makes legal issues easier to deal with.
I should have said Marriage, but yes, it does make legal issues a lot easier to deal.

Quote:
Love and sex are disconnected.
Absolutely!

Quote:
But you haven't cheated(sex) on your wife because you love her.
Correct. My wife is not into the whole biology thing. And since I love her why hurt her.

We are really fighting against biology and against our own evolutionary development. In some sense, it's a struggle of mind over matter.

50-80% of males cheat. 50% of females do too. Divorce rates are at 40-50%.

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.

25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.

Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significently higher than for other faith groups, and for Atheists and Agnostics.

Are we fighting against biology? Indeed!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
PHM glad to see your still around!
So does that mean if you or someone else with this opinion could justify you were full feeling your fun needs and it really wasn't cheating "JUST SEX"?
I think my husband would have a REAL hard time selling me on this one and I'm positive he wouldn't accept this from me either.

Forgiving is one thing forgetting is ANOTHER!!!
Thanks wildberries.

Whoever has this opinion probably shouldn't be married, unless you're into the whole swingers thing.

And forsaking all others, be faithful only to [him/her] so long as you both shall live?"

But if you took these vows, then you should at least try and live by them. But I'd be lying to you if I told you it wasn't a struggle. At times I feel my wedding band is a magnet instead of a deterrent.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 AM

646 posts, read 1,608,328 times
I agree with PHM, and do not see a contradiction.

It is possible to have sex with somebody without loving them. It is possible to love one person, and have sex with another.

For that, I am monogamous because it simplifies life a lot, and I see that as a good thing.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I agree with PHM, and do not see a contradiction.

It is possible to have sex with somebody without loving them. It is possible to love one person, and have sex with another.
But the question is would you FORGIVE your spouse. I'm sure as adults we can all agree we have had sex with out meaning. It's different once you take your vows and commit to each other. Marriage wasn't meant to have sex or make love to all others also!

I just don't understand the affair thing if your marriage is over it's over why hurt each other in this way. For the most part I think people don't have the family values that it takes to keep a marriage together.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
But I'd be lying to you if I told you it wasn't a struggle. At times I feel my wedding band is a magnet instead of a deterrent.
I'm sure it's more your charming personality!!
I think men are living in a more sinful sexual world then we were 15-20 years ago. Some of the stuff I see young girls doing my dad would have whipped my butt! If my mom didn't beat him to it!!
Women want to be like men and do what men have done for so many years love and leave them. I think for some women the greatest challenge is a married man, but must remember like the " BLACK WIDOW" women like to conquer also!!

When I was in high school I had a girlfriend that only liked married men her philosophy was that she knew he would never fall in love with her. She liked having a "SUGAR DADDY"!!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I'm sure it's more your charming personality!!
I think men are living in a more sinful sexual world then we were 15-20 years ago. Some of the stuff I see young girls doing my dad would have whipped my butt! If my mom didn't beat him to it!!
Women want to be like men and do what men have done for so many years love and leave them. I think for some women the greatest challenge is a married man, but must remember like the " BLACK WIDOW" women like to conquer also!!

When I was in high school I had a girlfriend that only liked married men her philosophy was that she knew he would never fall in love with her. She liked having a "SUGAR DADDY"!!

Oh, do I agree. Even sister, cousins and best friends love to conquer. Believe me, it's a struggle!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 PM

401 posts, read 684,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Of course this affects religious and non religious people alike but I'm wondering how people might perceive this from a religious point of view.
As a Christian I would not be required to forgive cheating, we are actually allowed to get a divorce if our spouse cheated. But if forgiveness can happen it is a good thing to a certain point. Forgive once and you are a great person, forgive twice and I really wonder about you, forgive three times and you are addicted to your spouse and need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality