U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM

2,958 posts, read 987,047 times

Advertisements

Do you honestly believe the creator of the universe and everything in it would subject his own creatures to this eternal torture and anguish?

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall come out and separate the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!" "These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."

"And if your foot offends you, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame than to have two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched where
their worm (conscience) dies not, and the fire is not quenched.

"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame."

"He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil."

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God and who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, ...."

"And a third angel followed them, saying with a great voice, If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives a mark in his forehead or in his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the anger of God, having been mixed undiluted in the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented by fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever."
And they have no rest day or night, those who worship the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."

"And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire." But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Last edited by Melvin.George; 07-30-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,518,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Do you honestly believe the creator of the universe and everything in it would subject his own creatures to this eternal torture and anguish?

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall come out and separate the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!" "These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."

"And if your foot offends you, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame than to have two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched where

"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame."

"He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil." in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God and who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, ...."

"And a third angel followed them, saying with a great voice, If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives a mark in his forehead or in his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the anger of God, having been mixed undiluted in the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented by fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever.
And they have no rest day or night, those who worship the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."

"And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire." But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
I not only don't believe He will...I KNOW He won't.

All that stuff about eternal torment/hell is false additions made by evil men with an agenda of gaining money and power. What better motivator to getting the followers to "toe the line" and, of course, cough up the 10%...plus "dispensation" payments and estate bequests, for the additional shmooze factor. It was all a super-scam con job. But you ALREADY know that Dude!

There ISN'T going to be any torment for anybody...with the exclusive rare exception, of Atheists that keep harping on it on internet forums...they WILL burn. Release it, and let it go, Man!!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I not only don't believe he will...I KNOW He won't.

All that stuff about eternal torment/hell is false additions made by evil men with an agenda of gaining money and power. What better motivator to getting the followers to "toe the line" and, of course, cough up the 10%...plus "dispensation" payments and estate bequests, for the additional shmooze factor. It was all a scam. But you ALREADY know that Dude!

There ISN'T going to be any torment for anybody...with the exclusive rare exception, of Atheists that keep harping on it on internet forums...they WILL burn. Release it, and let it go, Man!!
Actually the whole thing was a plot connived and conjured by the elite of the era. Less than a tenth of a percent of all those alive at the time had the knowhow to write or access to papyrus to put that together...even though they started 40-50 years after Jesus(allegedly) lived and it ended some 150 years later. The Jews wrote it and now they openly reject it.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,518,351 times
Quote:
Actually the whole thing was a plot connived and conjured by the elite of the era. Less than a tenth of a percent of all those alive at the time had the knowhow to write or access to papyrus to put that together...even though they started 40-50 years after Jesus(allegedly) lived and it ended some 150 years later. The Jews wrote it and now they openly reject it.
Over the centuries...MANY have had their turn at it...probably lots we'll never know about.

What better group to coerce than illiterate peasants and slaves?---They didn't need to write anything, really...just tell them it says whatever you want to tell them............. Remember now, you've got to follow these "rules" I'm gonna tell you about...or it says here you'll burn in an eternal fire...you wouldn't want that now, would ya?!!

Bottom line...that hell stuff is all BS. I don't know why you guys bother. Anyone that's gonna believe it...isn't going to stop because of your say so. Save your breath...and your time and effort. I can tell most of you guys are really smart...contemplate and debate something worthy of your intellect...not that garbage.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Over the centuries...MANY have had their turn at it...probably lots we'll never know about.

What better group to coerce than illiterate peasants and slaves?---They didn't need to write anything, really...just tell them it says whatever you want to tell them............. Remember now, you've got to follow these "rules" I'm gonna tell you about...or it says here you'll burn in an eternal fire...you wouldn't want that now, would ya?!!

Bottom line...that hell stuff is all BS. I don't know why you guys bother. Anyone that's gonna believe it...isn't going to stop because of your say so. Save your breath...and your time and effort. I can tell most of you guys are really smart...contemplate and debate something worthy of your intellect...not that garbage.
Yeah right. Bands of strong men roamed the countryside raping, pillaging, murdering and taking what they wanted. There were gangs of cannibals who continued to practice their rituals for nearly two millineums after that. Why do you think they conveniently came up with a symbolic practice which represented the drinking of blood and the eating of flesh?

Everything in both the OT and the New was put there with a purpose.

Be Meek
Turn the other cheek
Walk the extra mile
Do unto others
Love thy neighbor
If sued in court for coat voluntarily give cloak
Love thy enemies
Pray for those who curse and despise you
Be ye therefore perfect

Either do all of that or burn in hell for all eternity. Sounds to me like they were putting a plan in effect which would take care of their own asses.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,220,146 times
Quote:

"He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than the Light, because their deeds were evil."

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God and who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, ...."

"And a third angel followed them, saying with a great voice, If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives a mark in his forehead or in his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the anger of God, having been mixed undiluted in the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented by fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever."

I don't for I know from whence it came...but THE SHEEPLE sure do!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I don't for I know from whence it came...but THE SHEEPLE sure do!
Right now...as we speak the Freedom From Religion Foundation(FFRF) is taking court action against the posting of the ten commandments in a public building in Hawkins county, TN. It's just a few miles from here and I will write my check to support them within a few days. To hell with religion(NPI). During my 76 years it's done a whole lot more harm than good.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,220,146 times
Quote:
Right now...as we speak the Freedom From Religion Foundation(FFRF) is taking court action against the posting of the ten commandments in a public building in Hawkins county, TN. It's just a few miles from here and I will write my check to support them within a few days. To hell with religion(NPI). During my 76 years it's done a whole lot more harm than good.
Religion itself is not a bad thing...if it's kept personal. Unfortunately you have the left wing religious fanatics who think EVERYONE should espouse the same beliefs and values they do...this is wrong and, like you, I will fight it. This is a FREE country and with that freedom comes FREEDOM FROM RELIGION! Each person has the right to believe whatever it is they want to and in whatever god they want to, that's what makes our country SO GREAT...but we also DO NOT have the right to pawn our personal beliefs on everyone else and force them to espouse it...even when I was a Christian I did not do this. Keep your religious beliefs, pictures, icons, rules, commandments, rituals, etc...in the churches where they belong and keep them OUT of the public sector.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,570,333 times
It's a free country to be opinionated (subjective undecided; answers me a question on another forum) with the wrong woman.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Religion itself is not a bad thing...if it's kept personal. Unfortunately you have the left wing religious fanatics who think EVERYONE should espouse the same beliefs and values they do...this is wrong and, like you, I will fight it. This is a FREE country and with that freedom comes FREEDOM FROM RELIGION! Each person has the right to believe whatever it is they want to and in whatever god they want to, that's what makes our country SO GREAT...but we also DO NOT have the right to pawn our personal beliefs on everyone else and force them to espouse it...even when I was a Christian I did not do this. Keep your religious beliefs, pictures, icons, rules, commandments, rituals, etc...in the churches where they belong and keep them OUT of the public sector.
I think you meant to say right wing religious fanatics? The left wing (religious or no) has traditionally been fighting on the side of reason, liberty, freedom, equality and civil rights - the battles for which are usually in conflict with right wing/conservative/Christian principles.

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 07-30-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality