Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

One of the strangest concepts in religion is the idea that God tests human beings to determine the strength of their faith. This isn't just any ordinary test where you get an A or an F or something in between, this is much more serious. You may recall that God tested Job according to the Bible and inflicted terrible suffering on him even though it was said that Job was a good man. What kind of a loving God would create humans and then put them through mental and physical pain? I honestly can't understand why anyone who's religious would accept this point of view. Why would anyone worship a God who toys with his creations and subjects them to the most sadistic punishments just to see how they'll react? Do any of you believe that your personal trajedies and difficulties in life are actually a test by God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:53 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Nope, I don't consider it a test by God. But I believe we all do have adversity in our lives, and that is pretty much a given in a fallen world.

Because if there was no adversity it would be Heaven.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
No, I don't think God tests us. I am afraid that phrase is way overused . We are responsible for what decisions we make in our lives, even when these decisions turn out to be disasters. God gave us this choice or free will at the beginning. We can ask for his guidance, but we have to make the final choice and pray that it is the right one. Anything bad that comes my way is not a test from God ,it is the action of myself or others. I don't blame anything on God

Old 06-24-2007, 06:15 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,894 times
montanaguy, I can understand your confusion on this subject. As a new follower of Christ, sometimes I wonder about why I go through rough periods in my life. The way I understand it, when Satan was confronted in the Garden, he was allowed the ability to roam the earth, seeking those he wants to bring down with him. However, the Spirit of the Lord also reigns over the earth, hence you have the idea of good and evil battling one another.

God doesn't tempt us or toy with us or subject us to sadistic punishment. He does allow things to happen though but within limits. If you remember the story of Job, he told Satan he could torment him but was not allowed to kill him. It is a difficult concept to grasp but I would have to say that the trials I face in my life really do build my faith, strengthen me in my walk and increase my love for the Lord each day. Why? Because I know I serve a God who wants me to be the best I can in His service to Him and to those around me. He wants me to be as much like Jesus as I can and He knows I won't get there by just letting life come to me as I want it. Our integrity and our spirit is strengthened every time we go through a trial and I know that He loves me AND that He is with me, helping me to get through it.

I'm probably not as articulate or as knowledgeable as others in this forum but that's about the best that I can describe it. Blessings to you.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,494 times
Montana, if you want to create a unique and beautiful vase out of clay, how would you go about doing that?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:37 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Nope, I don't consider it a test by God. But I believe we all do have adversity in our lives, and that is pretty much a given in a fallen world.

Because if there was no adversity it would be Heaven.
I completely agree with this. Not all adversity is sent by God, sometimes we bring it on our selfs, but it is allowed by God. As long as we live here in the fallen world like spunky said we're all going to have our trials to go through, but at least I know I have the Lord to help get me through what ever comes my way.
Isaiah 43:2 "WHEN you go through deep water and great troubles, I will be with you. WHEN you go through rivers of difficulty you will not drown. WHEN you walk through the fire of oppression you will not be burned up the flames will not consume you".

Notice the verse says WHEN not IF and oh praise God, I have Him to help me!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
I believe that the trials in our lives produce greater faith. They sharpen me and make me more useful to Him.

I have to point out that many people simply suffer the consequences of making a poor decision and call it a testing of their faith. If you spent your money like crazy and end up getting kicked out of your house, it's not a test from God. It's a lack of discipline on your part!

Last edited by jco; 06-24-2007 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-24-2007, 11:49 PM

954 posts, read 812,996 times
Nope! Here in Spain they call it "****-poor luck"....and before I get slammed for using the word "****", it's in your bible.

Last edited by pladecalvo; 06-25-2007 at 12:26 AM..

Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,448 times
God didn't test Job...God allowed Satan to test him...up to a point mind you.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
When my Father had a heart attack, spent two months in the hospital...then died once he was home recovering, my Mother (who also had a heart attack while my Father was in the hospital) asked why god had allowed this too happen to my Father who had been a minister and a faithful servant his entire life.

I pointed out that I felt it had nothing to do with god, it had more to do with the fact that his HMO did not allow his primary care provider to send him to a cardiac care doctor to moniter an already existing condition.

Its that simple. IF there is a god...why would he want to play games with peoples lives? If he did want to play games with peoples lives like that, why would any of you want to spend eternity in heaven with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality