Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm so sorry! Please don't take what I said in offense. I hope your going to okay! But I don't think it's any reason to hate what you were born with. I mean, we all have trouble and pain we have to go through in this life. Everyone bears a burden. No one said it's going to be easy. But you just have to focus on the positives and how you will propel foward. And sometimes that's all you can do. I mean your alive and well, breathing and eating. Everyone here on City-Data that comes to interact with each other have alot to be thankful for. We have time on our hands to do that. There are children around the world starving at night looking for food in the time we sit here arguing with each other. We have alot to be thankful for.
I believe you've made our point pretty clear just by this statement alone...where is the designer in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, my face is very smashed right now. I'm so embarassed. How will I go on?!
Oh, no no no, you're letting theism down. It should be:

"My face isn't smashed at all. In fact I never even hit the pavement. That isn't blood at all it's..ah...something form the Red Sea. In fact he was talking about that satanic rock band and only LIED about it meaning something else. Yes...I know what he meant better than he did.."

Anyway, Lols aside, how you might go on, you might just wait to assimilate the argument before leaping in half - cocked (possibly mixing metaphors there) with some knee -jerk disgreement.

Can't help it...it's what I always think of as a parable of Theist denial about losing debates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Scientists didn't create the human form, so your question is moot.
I ain't too happy right now for the pain involved in a broken toe
Was never much thrilled to have my kids heads be larger than the orfice by which they left me.
I would think men would much prefer not having to accomodate a sack of tissue hanging between their legs....but maybe that is not as much an inconvenience as it seems to be to me
It's like most things in life - there are benefits and drawbacks..especially in cold weather.

The human bod, being derived from a four - legged origin was never designed to walk upright which is why we are plagued with back problems.

Having descended from omnivore primates (since they couldn't be too choosy about what they ate) there are benefits in having to chomp at bits of critter and root in order to obtain sustenance rather than derive our energy from the sun like the angels might. The taste of food is a plus but the problems we get from teeth are an evolutionary drawback, though, thanks to science, not as much of one as it was a few centuries ago.

No, I see evidence of a long and gradual and provable progression but no evidence that anyone (other than a dope) sat down and designed us.

I'd say the IDers lose. They won't of course.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
"Why were we created?"

That question presupposes that something created us for a purpose.
Precisely! The OP notes that we exist and immediately jumps to the unfounded assumption that we MUST have been "created".

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Allenkey writ:
Quote:
You know it's funny you say that. You ever think it was the poor children's government that is the problem?! The government that is not doing crap for them but sure enough is making it pretty comfortable when tourist come! You think that's accidental! It's corrupt! And they are suffering from the greed of their own government! All HUMANS. Not God's doing!! At least Christians are doing their part providing missionaries to come and try to save these children!! Building shelters, bringing food and water, adopting children from these horrible places, bringing the word of God into these children's lives! What EXACTLY are you doing? NOTHING! Sitting on your behinds in front of a computer screen typing away judging and condemning others people that are fighting for the lives of others. Military Service Personnel. Almost half of them are Christian. Fighting for your country!! You see being a Christian is not only about heaven and hell like you THINK. We actually HELP our fellow man around the world. What have Atheist done lately?! Besides spreading hate and evilness? I THOUGHT SO!!
And all credit to the Theists for providing sacks of rice and digging latrines (so long as they are not handing out Bibles as they do it) but that proves diddley about their religious beliefs being true.

As for atheists, many of them do assist in charitable work without dragging the missionary thing along, which is why you won't get many atheist charities - they do not make their charitable vehicle a mobile advertisement for their beliefs.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
You know it's funny you say that. You ever think it was the poor children's government that is the problem?! The government that is not doing crap for them but sure enough is making it pretty comfortable when tourist come! You think that's accidental! It's corrupt! And they are suffering from the greed of their own government! All HUMANS. Not God's doing!! At least Christians are doing their part providing missionaries to come and try to save these children!! Building shelters, bringing food and water, adopting children from these horrible places, bringing the word of God into these children's lives! What EXACTLY are you doing? NOTHING! Sitting on your behinds in front of a computer screen typing away judging and condemning others people that are fighting for the lives of others. Military Service Personnel. Almost half of them are Christian. Fighting for your country!! You see being a Christian is not only about heaven and hell like you THINK. We actually HELP our fellow man around the world. What have Atheist done lately?! Besides spreading hate and evilness? I THOUGHT SO!!
FYI...I'm not an Athiest...and you've made more than a few JUDGEMENTAL ASSUMPTIONS about me (didn't Christ preach against that)...but that is typical CHRISTIAN fare around here at CD...Christians always portray themselves as so much more superior than the rest of humanity but their true colors always show through, just as yours did here in your post.

I've also served in the Military so your holier than thou attitude doesn't hold a whole lot of water with me. There have been plenty of Athiests, Agnostics, Hindis, Budhists, Muslims, etc...serving this country right there next to you buddy...we fight for FREEDOM, not some religious agenda...we fight for ALL to be FREE, not just Christians.

As for serving others (Christians are not the only ones doing this contrary to what you may think or have been told)...when you've personally seen hundreds of children, with their bellies extended, starving for lack of food and water as their mothers cry in agony over their circumstances because the God they were told to pray to will not help them...when you've personally witnessed hundreds of children and adults die from starvation...let's have a conversation...until then, keep your hypocritical comments to yourself because you don't have a leg to stand on with me or anyone else for that matter.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
That's how sick you are. You REALLY think this is all about a debate?! Is that all you Atheist do is debate?! Debate about what?!! Your unbelief?!! WHAT AM I SAD ABOUT LOSING AREQUIPA??!!! Please tell me because I'm sitting here perfectly content with my life and my beliefs. Are you?! Because for someone who doesn't believe in God you sure have ALOT to say about him and religion in particular. Why?! You don't want to discuss religion. It's eminent in your post and your fellow Atheist. Anytime there is a conversation between a Christian and Atheist you people are the first to mock us! Then you expect a causal conversation. It's PATHETIC. And CHILDISH. Your a GROWN ADULT acting like 7-year-old CHILD. GROW UP. If you didn't want religion in your life, The City-Data Religion & Philosophy section is obviously the LAST place you want to be. But ALAS, your here!! Like other Atheist are here for no real reason but to argue about something they stated many times they don't believe in!! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!!!! Somebody call the NAUPD because I am at a loss!!
But you are so calm, educated and reasonable. Why would we not want to engage with you?We might learn something.
Oh...BTW...google atheist charity.....see if YOU learn anything.

Quote:
That's how sick you are. You REALLY think this is all about a debate?! Is that all you Atheist do is debate?! Debate about what?!! Your unbelief?!! WHAT AM I SAD ABOUT LOSING AREQUIPA??!!! Please tell me because I'm sitting here perfectly content with my life and my beliefs. Are you?! Because for someone who doesn't believe in God you sure have ALOT to say about him and religion in particular. Why?! You don't want to discuss religion. It's eminent in your post and your fellow Atheist. Anytime there is a conversation between a Christian and Atheist you people are the first to mock us! Then you expect a causal conversation. It's PATHETIC. And CHILDISH. Your a GROWN ADULT acting like 7-year-old CHILD. GROW UP. If you didn't want religion in your life, The City-Data Religion & Philosophy section is obviously the LAST place you want to be. But ALAS, your here!! Like other Atheist are here for no real reason but to argue about something they stated many times they don't believe in!! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!!!! Somebody call the NAUPD because I am at a loss!!
Please do not fall out of your pram, youngster. You might bruise your face further.

Stick around and you will find exactly why the debate is important and why I devote my time to it as another might devote themselves to a study of Pulsars and another to nematode DNA.

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
We were not created, we physically evolved from God's creation of the physical world, as did all the other animals, plants, etc. Our physical bodies give home to a single point of God's consciousness so that he may enjoy that world.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
And all credit to the Theists for providing sacks of rice and digging latrines (so long as they are not handing out Bibles as they do it) but that proves diddley about their religious beliefs being true.

As for atheists, many of them do assist in charitable work without dragging the missionary thing along, which is why you won't get many atheist charities - they do not make their charitable vehicle a mobile advertisement for their beliefs.
It seems to me that Christ also preached against that...

Matthew 6:3-4
3"But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Christians just love to tell the world of all of the wonderful things they do...and they boast so proudly of their accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality