Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,723,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
what is your best reason that makes you believe in god, or not believe in god.???

It would be a belief, with out any reason to have this belief. believing in this mythological god is not reason-able, it is wishful thinking. Wouldn't it be nice if the tooth fairy were real too??????? Santa Claus???? Easter Bunny?????
that's what killed my belief in the god in the old books.. when i was 9 years old i went to bible class, and thats when i relized that these stories they were teaching from these old books were no different then santa claus, easter bunny. or the tooth fairy, or grimms fairy tails..

Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,799,652 times
I sure wish I had figured it out as early on as you guys. Would have saved me a lot of heartache.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,729,707 times
I don't have a specific reason for not believing in a deity, at least not one that's especially better than the other reasons. I don't believe because it's simply not believable to me.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 PM

7,722 posts, read 12,610,099 times
Don't you just love these questions? The best reason I have to believe in God is simply life itself. Take a look at nature. At animals. At human beings and our bodies and what they do. This was no mere chance. And sure as heck the Earth didn't create itself and everything in it. I mean seriously. The answer is quite obvious. Even if I wasn't a Christian, the answer would be obvious.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,734,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Don't you just love these questions? The best reason I have to believe in God is simply life itself. Take a look at nature. At animals. At human beings and our bodies and what they do. This was no mere chance. And sure as heck the Earth didn't create itself and everything in it. I mean seriously. The answer is quite obvious. Even if I wasn't a Christian, the answer would be obvious.
Some of us, having removed all previous religious explanations we may have possessed, are now permanently incapable of viewing the world around us any other way.

Once you learned that the Tooth Fairy was myth, have you ever been able to believe it again, with the same innocence and conviction?

I know I haven't.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,437,871 times
I never believed in Santa Claus. I don't ever remembering believing that a sleigh flew the air. And the tooth fairy to put a quarter under my pillow for my stinky tooth? It was nonsense. And I never saw a large bunny jumping around with a basket full of eggs.

I liked the bible stories and thought they were interesting. Then when I was in college and after much study, I said to myself "this is real!" I suddenly realized that the stories weren't myths or stories, but they were histories and the things that they described that concerned the supernatural were real and really happened. I beleived these eyewitness accounts of the events. I sat in awe. And today after decades since that time I still believe the bible to be real. That the things contained in it is real. The more I test the scripture (the text of the bible) the more truthful I find them. And I still am in awe!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times
Quote:
It is also obvious that the world is flat, that the heavenly bodies rotate about the earth and that the heart is the seat of intelligence.

But those obvious answers are wrong, and it took scientific research to prove it. It is now clear that the earth (with some help from the sun and maybe a passing comet) DID 'create' everything in it. That is what science has demonstrated. The 'obvious' conclusion that a big invisible human must have done it is proven wrong. Get used to it.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,210 times
The same reason I don't believe that Zeus, Quetzlcoatl, leprechauns, tyrannosaurs or bigfoot exist - insufficient affirmative evidence.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,210 times
Quote:
I have to agree there. Life didn't come into being by "mere chance". And the Earth didn't "create itself".

But then, the point seems rather moot since I've never heard anyone, theist or atheist, claim these things.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,952,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
The same reason I don't believe that Zeus, Quetzlcoatl, leprechauns, tyrannosaurs or bigfoot exist - insufficient affirmative evidence.
You don't believe Tyrannosaurs exist or existed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.