U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
 
4,845 posts, read 4,925,751 times
Reputation: 4170
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Actually they don't. There may be a few who say they absolutely know, just like there are christians who say so, but you clearly don't know the definition of atheism.

It's lack of belief in a god or gods.

I'm agnostic....but hey that could change as I keep looking at the evidence.

I read the bible, I see no reason why I should believe that all of it is true more than any other faith.
Well for one thing, Christianity is the only faith that doesn't require any steps or task you have to do to be saved. All you have to do is repent for your sins and believe and confess with your mouth Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. Yes. It's THAT easy to saved and have eternal life.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Buffalo, trying to leave
1,228 posts, read 1,840,179 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Actually they don't. There may be a few who say they absolutely know, just like there are christians who say so, but you clearly don't know the definition of atheism.
I am very aware that Atheism does not preclude a believe in the eternal, but let's get serious, without any deity there can't be a Heaven or a Hell.

Quote:
Few? Surely you jest. Dying is death...that's why they call it dead.
I wouldn't describe what I did as a joke, more a mockery of the lie that is Atheism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Detroit/South Korea
465 posts, read 260,186 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well for one thing, Christianity is the only faith that doesn't require any steps or task you have to do to be saved. All you have to do is repent for your sins and believe and confess with your mouth Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. Yes. It's THAT easy to saved and have eternal life.
Umm no it's not. You actually have to believe that jesus is the son of god in the first place. I don't, and I'm not gonna force myself to believe something that doesn't make sense to me, just out of fear.

If god was there, he knows if I'm genuine or not, so what's the point of "believing" just to save my behind?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Detroit/South Korea
465 posts, read 260,186 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I am very aware that Atheism does not preclude a believe in the eternal, but let's get serious, without any deity there can't be a Heaven or a Hell.
You presume that there has to be a heaven or hell.

And actually Buddhism has no belief in gods, and they believe in heaven and hell.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 867,359 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well for one thing, Christianity is the only faith that doesn't require any steps or task you have to do to be saved. All you have to do is repent for your sins and believe and confess with your mouth Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. Yes. It's THAT easy to saved and have eternal life.
Actually what he says is "It's My Way Or The Hiway"

Just another thing which rules it totally iilogical since 80% of all the humans who ever lived on the planet didn't believe in him:

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
 
454 posts, read 240,860 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While I agree with the premise that religion is pretty much a complete waste of time, I believe that meditation and such things have a profound effect upon health and well being. Thoughts are things and they can create reality. Mr. Hitchings needs to put his preconceived notions to rest and approach his illness with an open mind. Otherwise he is doomed. And while he is at it, he would be well advised to investigate some alternative means of treatment for his disease.

Some people are just a little to arrogant for their own good.

20yrsinBranson
Hello. I was just skimming through this thread and saw your name. Did you do 20 years in gaol? Or is Branson only a town?

Anyway, I read your post. What type of meditation do you do?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
 
4,845 posts, read 4,925,751 times
Reputation: 4170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Actually what he says is "It's My Way Or The Hiway"
And? What's wrong with his way? Being in eternal life and happiness?

Quote:
Just another thing which rules it totally iilogical since 80% of all the humans who ever lived on the planet didn't believe in him:
Actually it was more like 99%. And 99% of the world perished in the floods because they were full of all kinds of evil and corrupted the Earth that God created! AND they didn't believe in him! That's why they all perished. And they are all in hell right now because they didn't heed of God's warning. The only ones who are alive and well today from those days are their children by the grace of God. They are happily in heaven enjoying everlasting life. Noah and his family as well. YOU however don't have that luxury just yet. You are alive in the flesh NOW and need to come to him NOW before it's too late! Don't wait like they did.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."[/quote]

Amen to that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:54 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 867,359 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And? What's wrong with his way? Being in eternal life and happiness?



Actually it was more like 99%. And 99% of the world perished in the floods because they were full of all kinds of evil and corrupted the Earth that God created! AND they didn't believe in him! That's why they all perished. And they are all in hell right now because they didn't heed of God's warning. The only ones who are alive and well today from those days are their children by the grace of God. They are happily in heaven enjoying everlasting life. Noah and his family as well. YOU however don't have that luxury just yet. You are alive in the flesh NOW and need to come to him NOW before it's too late! Don't wait like they did.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."


I'm 76 years old and I've seen a lot. You've got it bad!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:58 PM
 
4,845 posts, read 4,925,751 times
Reputation: 4170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I'm 76 years old and I've seen a lot. You've got it bad!
Whoa! Really?! Well guess what? It's NEVER too late to be saved at any age! You are blessed to be at such an advanced age! Praise the Lord for that! I can only hope I make it to that age some day! But I'm not expecting to of course. I know Jesus is coming VERY soon so it's no biggie to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Moving through this etheria
430 posts, read 316,945 times
Reputation: 185
allen, as with most dedicated Christians, you presume a lot in aid of your beliefs. You do not know there's an afterlife unless you've returned from it. You do like the version taught in Sunday School however, since it brings you peace of mind where you'd otherwise live in terror of your final demise. That's simply a personal choice.

If your belief is based on such cult stories as the biblical flood, you ought to take a much closer look at the credibility of such impossibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
And Atheists claim to know that there is none either, and yet, few Atheists have died to tell about it.

Kinda funny how an argument like that cuts both ways.
Since there's such paltry evidence for God, why would atheists choose to believe any of the associated stories? Absent evidence and by invoking common sense, we come to a pretty reasonable conclusion. As well, we don't have that burning need for a fall-back security blanket represented by an afterlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well for one thing, Christianity is the only faith that doesn't require any steps or task you have to do to be saved. All you have to do is repent for your sins and believe and confess with your mouth Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died on the cross for your sins. Yes. It's THAT easy to saved and have eternal life.
Just chanting it and your in? Why didn't you say so? I thought God knew our characters, flaws and most secret inner thoughts. I figured he'd sense a ruse if we tried it, if it was out of character and was simply a bet-hedge.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I am very aware that Atheism does not preclude a believe in the eternal, but let's get serious, without any deity there can't be a Heaven or a Hell.
How can you say that with a straight face? It's simply whatever the fairy tale says it is. We can build a fantasy with or without a God, or with ten Gods (like the Greeks). What makes your story any more viable? You assume we need a spiritual CEO, a manager to welcome us at the gates.

Perhaps Heaven for some would be to get out from under anyone's guiding directives and endless interoffice memos on PC spiritual behavior.

You assume far too much, frankly.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top