Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times

Advertisements

Lamplight: When I consider how many other galaxies there are, and how many stars are in each one, and couple that with the fact that astronomers have discovered over 300 extrasolar planets in our part of our own galaxy, I just can't think that we are all that special.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Lamplight: When I consider how many other galaxies there are, and how many stars are in each one, and couple that with the fact that astronomers have discovered over 300 extrasolar planets in our part of our own galaxy, I just can't think that we are all that special.
I agree! It's kind of overwhelming to me at times. When I was younger, I'd get freaked out when I thought of how big the universe was! Of course, when I'm having a bad day - it still doesn't make me feel better to think how insigificant we are and how little my problems matter to the universe at large... But I guess it should!
The universe really is amazing!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 AM

454 posts, read 498,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In the words of one great philosopher; "you gotta know when to fold'em, know when to walk, know when to run."

I would pretend that my intellect is superior per se to yours or anyone else's for that matter, but that has nothing to do with one's grasp on reality.

If anything points to the human origins of the god myth Deteronomy is prima facia evidence. God, creator the universe and building code inspector! Come on!

As Lamplight points out:
"If there is a God, it mustn't be anything like the being I learned about as a child. That god was a small god, and any creator of this couldn't be as small as that one. Why would something that created, say, the Orion Nebula give two hoots about cutting off some puny creature's foreskin? How could such an incredible being possibly be concerned about whether or not those same creatures mate before they go through a little ceremony? It's just incomprehensible that a being which could create something as incredible as our universe could possibly be concerned with such trivial matters."
When I look over Deteronomy I see a perfectly logical civil and criminal code devised for the specific purpose of establish the rules for an orderly and, for the 6th century, safe maintenance of a small society. And the wrath of god and you've got the force of law. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why would God not be interested in building codes? If you are omniscient then you are omniscient. That doesn't mean knowing everything except the necessary safety requirements for rooves.

I am sure there is a perfectly righteous, just and good reason for that regulation. Just because you are unable to perceive it doesn't mean God doesn't. It is the humility of God which speaks to many humans. You perceive humility as weaknesss. You are mistaken.

Thankyou very much for your reply. I really enjoy communicating with you.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
........ ie, every year science says that we are older than the year before.
I could have told you that man!! I thought everyone knew that every year we are older that were were the year before!!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dude, we are so insignificant when compared to what is going on around us. But I feel you.
Yes, the observer often feels insignificant when looking at something so grand. But if your take the observer out of the equation, there is no one left to feel the wonder and/or significance of the observation, so it effectively ceases to be grand and overwhelming altogether.

The Observer is a vital part of the picture, and that makes us important, even though we are so small and powerless before the overwhelming grandness of the universe. It is also what makes us different than say...an ant. An ant just does; it never wonders why or how.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yes, the observer often feels insignificant when looking at something so grand. But if your take the observer out of the equation, there is no one left to feel the wonder and/or significance of the observation, so it effectively ceases to be grand and overwhelming altogether.

The Observer is a vital part of the picture, and that makes us important, even though we are so small and powerless before the overwhelming grandness of the universe. It is also what makes us different than say...an ant. An ant just does; it never wonders why or how.

And you know this for sure?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And you know this for sure?
Yep. Ask an Entomologist how many ants have they see sitting and pondering, trying to change or expand their perspectives by looking further than their biology permits or challenging the status quo and/or trying to change their individual "job descriptions" given to them at birth. I'm sure the answer you'll get is "0".

Beyond behavior, we are capable now of looking into the human brain as it works and can see what parts activate while we are doing such behavior. Likewise, we can look at an ant's "brain" and see what fires when they do their thing. They obviously lack the tools needed to wonder why or how, so logically we can safely assume they don't with an approximately 99.999999999999998% probablity rate.

Yay Science!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yep. Ask an Entomologist how many ants have they see sitting and pondering, trying to change or expand their perspectives by looking further than their biology permits or challenging the status quo and/or trying to change their individual "job descriptions" given to them at birth. I'm sure the answer you'll get is "0".

Beyond behavior, we are capable now of looking into the human brain as it works and can see what parts activate while we are doing such behavior. Likewise, we can look at an ant's "brain" and see what fires when they do their thing. They obviously lack the tools needed to wonder why or how, so logically we can safely assume they don't with an approximately 99.999999999999998% probablity rate.

Yay Science!
Logically, I agree with you completely.
When I think about how little we actually know of all there is to know.....when I think of all the things that 'we' were once so sure of.....then I wonder

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM

113 posts, read 175,212 times
Quote:
Yes, humans look at the universe as complex and immense. But to God Almighty it is simply a work of art. Imagine how easy it is for him to split oceans, raise the dead and cure blindness if he can create the entire cosmos simply by saying let it be!
The sheer implausibility of imagining such creations, much less manifesting their physical construction, assures that this was not the work of any single Creator.

Just because primitive man invented such a beast to explain that which scared the bananas out of them on a daily basis, and thus said beastie had omnipotent powers explainable within the then-known world, doesn't mean we shouldn't move on when presented with more updated facts.

The universe is far too complex for any possible manipulation, instantly, by some godly intellect. It's also still in it's formative years, unlike the version in the bible, which was supposedly "completed" in an hour or so.

How can any moderately educated and thoughtful person actually and honestly still buy into this impossible ancient story? simply stating that "God is Great and Omnipotent" doesn't begin to explain the anomalies and impossibilities! Down at my church, even the most devout don't necessarily bite into the whole enchilada, especially when it has an "off taste"!

Quote:
Rhetorical statement rebuttal 1. I must report that the immensity of God is beyond the comprehension of the human heart and mind. Even the fact that he made himself human, let alone the human whom he made himself into, is beyond our full comprehension. Stick with the creation if you don't want to be made to fill humble and powerless.
Actually, I would feel kind of silly if I steadfastly closed my mind to the growing evidence against Creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The only reason Christianity and all the other ancient religions flourished back then was exactly because the people of the day could not possibly imagine the immensity and grandeur of the existing universe. They creatively generated a rather simplistic god, and granted Him complete powers. Unfortunately, that's so implausible and unsupported that it falls pretty flat nowadays among the more thoughtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Logically, I agree with you completely.
When I think about how little we actually know of all there is to know.....when I think of all the things that 'we' were once so sure of.....then I wonder
You can either fervently clamp on to those old explanations, fearful to look outside your own predetermined ideas, or you can bravely and thoughtfully look beyond, at all the amazing new evidence scientific exploration and thinking is bringing to us, as well as the total lack of evidence in support of the old tribal tales.

The conclusion should be obvious.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM

454 posts, read 498,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
The sheer implausibility of imagining such creations, much less manifesting their physical construction, assures that this was not the work of any single Creator.

Just because primitive man invented such a beast to explain that which scared the bananas out of them on a daily basis, and thus said beastie had omnipotent powers explainable within the then-known world, doesn't mean we shouldn't move on when presented with more updated facts.

The universe is far too complex for any possible manipulation, instantly, by some godly intellect. It's also still in it's formative years, unlike the version in the bible, which was supposedly "completed" in an hour or so.

How can any moderately educated and thoughtful person actually and honestly still buy into this impossible ancient story? simply stating that "God is Great and Omnipotent" doesn't begin to explain the anomalies and impossibilities! Down at my church, even the most devout don't necessarily bite into the whole enchilada, especially when it has an "off taste"!

Actually, I would feel kind of silly if I steadfastly closed my mind to the growing evidence against Creation.
Point 1: You claim that it is implausible in this day and age to imagine the creation, yet you instantly contradict yourself by immediately alleging that men of ancient times invented the one who created said implausible creation. Surely the creator will always be more mysterious, unimaginable, implausible than what the creation which he makes is? Surely!

Point 2: You have misunderstood the comment I made and in so doing reveal how you have simply no understanding of te simplest and most direct verses of Scripture. It is indeed yourself which is amazed by the creation, not I. I am in awe of the Creator, the Lord my God. You on the other hand are amazed by the lights he placed above and the vault in which he placed them.
I recommend that you remain in awe of the creation because to turn to the Lord God requires a willingness to humble oneself and realise one's impotence when compared to the might and strength of God Almighty.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule in order to give us your appraisal of the meaningless banter presently at hand. May the Lord God bless you with all your desired abundances and may you go with God speed and the wind at your tail my good man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality