Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,970,259 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I came across something I had not paid attention to before here in New York City. I went to buy a can of Iced Tea from a store around the corner from my job. It is owned by a rather pleasant Muslim family. I am not quite sure where they are from, but some hints seem to suggest Pakistan.
In any event, I turned around while waiting for my change and noticed that on the adjacent wall from their register there were all the men magazines such as Maxim and others of that nature, complete with covers showing curvaceous women, scantily clad, exuding sex, sex and more sex.

Now, I think it is safe to say that Islamic countries such as Pakistan, and Islam itself, discourages such overt displays of sexuality, but while I am not saying I see these guys in there getting all moist over the magazines, there seems to be a hint of hypocrisy here where dollars trump religious convictions. The convictions of many in Islam when it comes to women showing too much body parts borders on hostile and is actually met with severe hostility in some places. Just the idea of women not being covered from head to toe drives some in the world of Islam practically insane. Why then is it that I step into stores owned by Muslims selling men’s magazines designed for male pleasure and sex that actually show gratuitous images of women couples pieces of material away from being completely naked? This when under any other situation involving women doing the very same thing, they would be up in arms about it (no pun intended).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality