Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times

Advertisements

It isn't generally known, but given the lack of employment advancement opportunities in Eden, Adam and Eve engaged in sex quite frequently. They were saved from public embarrassment by the fact that there wasn't any public to observe their activities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,021 times
Did Adam and Eve have sex in Eden?

I'm still trying to figure out why every depiction of them has belly buttons. As for the sex part, didn't they have kids?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,829,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Did Adam and Eve have sex in Eden?

I'm still trying to figure out why every depiction of them has belly buttons. As for the sex part, didn't they have kids?

Too bad; they accepted God for the way He made them look like. From chaos according to Roman Polanski: where there was a big sucking worm hole of prediction for what they were ALL READY TO DO.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM

290 posts, read 387,190 times
Firstly, what a great thread. It's something I've never actually thought about - I've read all comments and it has been very mentally stimulating so thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't believe that God intended sex for procreation only, but I don't believe Adam and Eve had sex until after they were cast out of the Garden. The reason for this is that it was not until after they ate the forbidden fruit that they even realized they were naked. This seems like a kind of an odd fact to mention unless it was symbolic of something or other. To me, it implies that Adam and Eve, though physically capable of sexual relations before eating the fruit, were sexually naive, much like children. If they didn't realize they were naked, it would be quite a stretch to assume that they found one another's bodies sexually stimulating. The Bible also makes no mention of the fact that Adam "knew Eve" until after they had been cast out of the Garden. We take these two facts together to mean that it was not until after they ate the forbidden fruit, were cast out of the Garden of Eden and became mortal that they became sexually aware and, hence, capable of procreating.
Thank you Katzpur; this seemed to me to make sense and so far, I agree with what you have said.

For those of you who suggest that (4) the story/ Adam and Eve never existed, maybe this doesn't matter. One can study the bible, it's stories and possible interpretations and understandings such as this in a literary context. Regardless of one's beliefs I feel it is difficult to argue against the idea that the Bible is one of the world's greatest books. In it one discovers a human history, a culture and the changing psychology of a society that developed and grew over many centuries. So maybe the existence of the 2 characters is irrelevant because even without faith, one can explore the story in terms of its relevance to the rest of the Bible, what it suggests about an idea of God, what it means for believers today, and countless other possible meanings.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM

27,875 posts, read 29,674,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow, you talk about all this as if it were fact!
"I believe" and "To me, this implies" is hardly the same as saying, "This is how it is..." You're just trying to get around the idea that I presented a reasonable argument.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,060 times
[mod] solicitation of one's website [/mod]

in the bible it says adam and even touched the fruit in the garden of eve that god commanded not to be touched.the devil is stated as a serpeant,a dragon,lucifer.etc...
It clearely states that Eve had a conversation with a serpeant who tricked Eve in touching the fruit in the garden. the truth is thta Satan was the fruit in the garden.
the truth is that adam and eve had intercourse with satan in the garden of eve. as they ate of the fruit. thats why they were naked when god was looking for them, and they all of a sudden were ashamed of their private parts for what sin they had commited. im not sure how adam was involved in this but Satan could have appeared as a women as he has supernatural powers!
the bible says that eve bared two sons. Abel and Cain. Cain is the offspring of satan when eve commited her first sin by having intercourse with satan. As Abel is the offspring of Adam. Which is why Cain slewed Abel. Cain was a murderer as of satan. an example is that Abel granted GOD a gift of the finest item he owned as Cain did not. as cain did not think GOD was that important to give him the best that he owned.
this is why GOD gifted Adam with another child named Seth. Seth is born when Adam meets his wife Eve again.Seth is a gift from GOD to replace Abel who was murdered by Cain to make sure Jesus is born Holy. The truth is that the offsprings of Cain are the work of Satan and that The offsprings of Seth is the work of GOD.
It states all of Adams offsprings in Genesis. nowhere does it mention Cain because Cain is not an offspring of Adam. Cain is the offspring of Satan. But it states Seth as being an offspring of Adam.
half the people in this world are created of Cain(Satans offspring), as the others are created of Seth(GODs offspring).
this is the truth abouth the Garden of Eden

Last edited by june 7th; 02-05-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,022,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Many Christians believe that sex is intended, by God, for procreation only. This is why practicing Catholics do not believe in using birth control.

If this is the case, there are only three scenarios possible for Adam and Eve while in the Garden of Eden:

1) They did not have sex in the Garden of Eden because no children were born to them until after they were evicted. Remember, they had to have been the best of health therefore fertility would have been assured.

2) Adam and Eve did have plenty of sex. Therefore, God allowed sex for purposes other than procreation. God did not yet program Adam and Eve to conceive while they were still in the Garden.

3) Adam and Eve had sex, conceived, but were not in the Garden long enough (nine months) for the pregnancy to result in childbirth.

Any thoughts?
If you are curious as to the purpose of sex (whether it's strictly procreative) and wish for a biblical reference to help - consider the Song of Songs: a book of erotic poetry, some of it done illicitly. These songs do not tend to be procreative in nature (in contradistinction to one of the bible's first commands: go forth and multiply), but rather erotic and sensual for the sake of eroticism and love.

Something else that needs mentioning is the two Creative Accounts (Genesis 1 vs Genesis 2-3): one has no garden, but the command to be fruitful and multiply; the other has a garden, and a possible lack of awareness of sexuality. The two stories cannot be reconciled, unless one does some exegetical hoop-jumping.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM

661 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't believe that God intended sex for procreation only, but I don't believe Adam and Eve had sex until after they were cast out of the Garden. The reason for this is that it was not until after they ate the forbidden fruit that they even realized they were naked. This seems like a kind of an odd fact to mention unless it was symbolic of something or other. To me, it implies that Adam and Eve, though physically capable of sexual relations before eating the fruit, were sexually naive, much like children. If they didn't realize they were naked, it would be quite a stretch to assume that they found one another's bodies sexually stimulating. The Bible also makes no mention of the fact that Adam "knew Eve" until after they had been cast out of the Garden. We take these two facts together to mean that it was not until after they ate the forbidden fruit, were cast out of the Garden of Eden and became mortal that they became sexually aware and, hence, capable of procreating.
If I read this right, it was a good thing that they ate the fruit, otherwise the human race would have died out.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Too bad there was no such thing as YouTube in Eden. Otherwise, the serpent would almost certainly have posted a confirmation of Adam and Eve's actions.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
If they were made with male and female parts I would assume so, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality