Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2009 Which Religious Group Do You Think Is The Most Despised On The Planet On Average ?
Muslims 55 57.29%
Christians 21 21.88%
Jews 20 20.83%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,958,915 times

Advertisements

Muslims, Christians, or Jews ? This is only referring to the present day 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,454,740 times
I'd say they are all three hated pretty equally. It seems like Muslims hate Jews, Jews hate no one, and Christians hate Muslims who in return hate Christians just as much.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM

33,502 posts, read 37,011,343 times
I'd vote for the Westboro Baptist church, but it's not on the poll.

Don't forget how much Shiite Muslims hate the Sunnis

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,000,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'd vote for the Westboro Baptist church, but it's not on the poll.
I would agree with this

Old 01-05-2009, 04:27 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,569,854 times
Sadly I would say Muslims seem to cop a lot more flack than any other religion on the planet. A small minority of fundamentalists and extremists has given the rest of Islam a very bad name indeed.

I know a lot of Muslims here at home and have met thousands whilst travelling around the world and apart from feeling harassed in markets have never had any bad experiences whatsoever even as a single female traveller and self avowed Atheist. All I was met with was unfailing hospitality, kindness and generosity of spirit.

Like all religions it baffles me utterly but I do genuinely believe it has been high-jacked by some nasty people with an agenda of their own and little comprehension of the scholarly attitude towards life which Islam truly is about. The Media has hardly helped. The vast majority of Muslims are nice, hard working peaceful people who pretty much want the same we all do.

Peace, love, enough financial security and political stability to get on with our lives, and the best for their kids. Yes there are terrible human rights abuses , nobody can deny that but in my experience the perpetrators are not true Muslims anyway and the people just suffer.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,441,652 times
I don't know about the planet, but I would say in the United States it is the Muslims..It is a shamethat people who profess to be christian can have so much hate for something they do not even know..The muslims have as much division in their religion as christianity does..
Muslims are as ashamed and against the terrists and suicide bombers who claim to be doing the work of Allah, as the Rev Phelps, Jim Jones,etc claim their dirty deeds in the name of christianity and God...

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,670,652 times
Unfortunately, it would be the Muslims at this point. A few bad apples have given most a bad name.

I also wonder where (or how low) atheists would rank if they were included in a poll in a non-atheistic forum.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,902,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I'd say they are all three hated pretty equally. It seems like Muslims hate Jews, Jews hate no one, and Christians hate Muslims who in return hate Christians just as much.
Jews don't hate another religion...they hate another racial group (the Arabs). Funny thing is, according to their religious texts, they're brothers to the race they hate.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,902,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Unfortunately, it would be the Muslims at this point. A few bad apples have given most a bad name.

I also wonder where atheists would rank if they were included in a poll in a non-atheistic forum.
Here in the USA, atheists rank high among the hated, mostly because religious people can't/won't try to understand us. I think in a good portion of the rest of the world though, this isn't the case. We're far more accepted in Europe, for instance.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,670,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Here in the USA, atheists rank high among the hated, mostly because religious people can't/won't try to understand us. I think in a good portion of the rest of the world though, this isn't the case. We're far more accepted in Europe, for instance.
Agree - you could add large parts of Russia and China to the mix. Hindus are accepting of everything - including atheism. It surprises me that in a country like the US, the word "secular" (like "liberal") is almost a dirty word. You go to a country like Turkey and their the muslims are fighting to keep their almost all-muslim country secular. The "my way or the highway" attitude is more prevalent here - you are simply going to hell if you are in a different path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality