Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:10 PM

291 posts, read 752,261 times

Advertisements

How many has God killed?

I kill ... I wound ... I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh. -- Deuteronomy 32:39-42
How many people did God kill in the Bible?

It's impossible to say for sure, but plenty. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? There's just no way to count them all.
But sometimes the Bible tells us exactly how many were killed by God.

Here's a list of those that I can find. (If you find any that I've missed, let me know and I'll add them to the list.)
So far I come up with a total of 2,391,421 (not including, at least in some cases, women and children).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
You probably came here to deride Almighty God, but I have news for you: many more than that are screaming in the flames of hell right now, and many more are on the way. It's Jesus' holiness or hell; most people won't let that sink in until it's too late. God means business, whether mankind does or not. Look around the world. What do you see? Calamity after calamity. The plagues are falling just like in Pharaoh's day.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
...so much for an "all-loving God," who "...would never do that to His creation!..."

...Thank you for your OP...it just confirms what we've been trying to explain to those here who say they would, "...never love a God like that..." nor "...never want to be with a God like that..."...you'll see, and so be it...you'll get your wish.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
How many has God killed?

I kill ... I wound ... I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh. -- Deuteronomy 32:39-42
How many people did God kill in the Bible?

It's impossible to say for sure, but plenty. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? There's just no way to count them all.
But sometimes the Bible tells us exactly how many were killed by God.

Here's a list of those that I can find. (If you find any that I've missed, let me know and I'll add them to the list.)
So far I come up with a total of 2,391,421 (not including, at least in some cases, women and children).

So let me get your three points out of the way to speed up this discussion. I've heard this three point argument a zillion times. Get's old and falls flat.

1. There is no God
2. If there is a God he is evil (in your opinion)
3. You want no part of an evil God

To wit: you hope point one is true. Problem is that disagreeable behavior does not mean God does not exist.

Point 2. Your in hot water.

Point 3. You have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...so much for an "all-loving God," who "...would never do that to His creation!..."

...Thank you for your OP...it just confirms what we've been trying to explain to those here who say they would, "...never love a God like that..." nor "...never want to be with a God like that..."...you'll see, and so be it...you'll get your wish.
So is the OT just a bunch of Hog Wash? Or just plain wrong?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
God is a righteous judge. People tend to look past that part of His character. Those in the day of Noah were warned... for years. Those in Egypt were warned. Those is Sodom & Gomorrah were warned. God does nothing as a "knee-jerk" reaction. God is slow to cast judgement, but He will judge in His time and in His way. He cannot be stayed forever.

There is reason and purpose behind what God did and continues to do that affects His creation. We may not fully comprehend, because we can't see the big picture, but God can. We can only trust in Him to do what is right, because He is just and holy and always does what is right.

Blessings.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Oh good heavens! Jesus came to bring peace and love....it is men who do the destroying!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You probably came here to deride Almighty God, but I have news for you: many more than that are screaming in the flames of hell right now, and many more are on the way. It's Jesus' holiness or hell; most people won't let that sink in until it's too late. God means business, whether mankind does or not. Look around the world. What do you see? Calamity after calamity. The plagues are falling just like in Pharaoh's day.
Gee your post makes me all warm and fuzzy and just so ready to jump right in and worship your god.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
But what could possibly motivate you or anyone to actually worship such a god, with the blood of millions on his hands? Is it love, that's IMO kinda twisted. Could it be fear? After all fear is the most powerful human emotion when one wants to control them.

Your words above are clearly fear driven, fear of your captor. It is a physiological condition called Stockholm Syndrome.

When I look around the world, without the religious filter glasses you wear, I see a number of calamities, some natural simply mother nature at work, some caused by naturally evolving microorganisms, but combined with dense population and the ability to travel the globe in a day, and finally I see a vast number of atrocities and wars not caused by any deity, but caused in the name of god by man, and that is the travesty and the danger of religion.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh good heavens! Jesus came to bring peace and love....it is men who do the destroying!
Ohh, but you're so wrong sister!!

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10: 34)

Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. (Luke 12: 51-52)

Do you not see it here day, after day? Are we not a house divided? But I ask you ....does it mean that I love you any-the-less?

Satan is the Destroyer! Men.....we're the sinners!! The undecided. The fools that rage against God.....

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Ohh, but you're so wrong sister!!

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10: 34)

Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. (Luke 12: 51-52)

Do you not see it here day, after day? Are we not a house divided? But I ask you ....does it mean that I love you any-the-less?

Satan is the Destroyer! Men.....we're the sinners!! The undecided. The fools that rage against God.....
::Sigh:: Hyperbole . . . not literal Betsey. Jesus came to overthrow and correct the ignorant understanding of God that the OT fostered through the corrupt religious leaders of the time. He was going to upset the established apple carts. He was going to drive a wedge between the established religion and His followers. His message of God's unconditional love was so foreign and unbelievable (as it still seems to be today for so many) to the God-fearing believers in wrath and vengeance that it couldn't help but cause division. But just as there were no apple carts to upset or actual wedges . . . there was no actual sword or intent to establish actual destruction of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality