Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM

226 posts, read 559,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
There's only one problem. You're not dead. Dead is not "dying" and then coming back to life. Dead is dead.
You're not getting it, are you? I'm sure you know what an entity (ghost) is, right? There's your answer. All you have to do is experience it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,061,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
You're not getting it, are you? I'm sure you know what an entity (ghost) is, right? There's your answer. All you have to do is experience it.
LOL....There are no such things as ghosts....

Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,407,116 times
Quote:
You're the one not getting it. How can you be on here posting about anything if you are dead? Dead is dead! Being "declared dead" is not. Unless you are saying that you are the "ghost".

Old 08-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You're the one not getting it. How can you be on here posting about anything if you are dead? Dead is dead! Being "declared dead" is not. Unless you are saying that you are the "ghost".
Since you don't seem to have an open mind and have never experienced what I am trying to explain to you, it's futile trying to get you to understand. Maybe some day you will. Good day.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM

20,427 posts, read 12,725,801 times
Quote:
Just my opinion. It makes sense to me.
As a human we don't really know our spiritual self. What our spirit/soul was like before birth and after death will always be a matter of discussion, IMO.
Thank you for being honest.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM

478 posts, read 771,410 times
Quote:
Quote:
Since you don't seem to have an open mind and have never experienced what I am trying to explain to you, it's futile trying to get you to understand. Maybe some day you will. Good day.

But he does, and was responding to your post very well; I'm afraid it is you that seems to not understand, 05Chevy. We're talking here about what happens when you die, and that being as none of us are dead, we have no way to know exactly what happens first hand. You can have as many experiences with a ghost as you can count and still not know what happens when you die. Not to diminish the value of your experience but remember, you're experiencing it from the perspective of a very much alive person in a human body. Likewise, even when people die and are brought back to life- for any amount of time- they still did not make the FULL transition. Otherwise they would still be dead. Period. And so a NDE doesn't count or mean anything other than perhaps a perspective as to what may happen before death. Personally, I take NDEs with a grain of salt. Not that I don't believe what anyone sees or goes through, just that perhaps it is, or perhaps it isn't what people think. The human body does a lot of weird things when preparing itself for death.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
But he does, and was responding to your post very well; I'm afraid it is you that seems to not understand, 05Chevy. We're talking here about what happens when you die, and that being as none of us are dead, we have no way to know exactly what happens first hand. You can have as many experiences with a ghost as you can count and still not know what happens when you die. Not to diminish the value of your experience but remember, you're experiencing it from the perspective of a very much alive person in a human body. Likewise, even when people die and are brought back to life- for any amount of time- they still did not make the FULL transition. Otherwise they would still be dead. Period. And so a NDE doesn't count or mean anything other than perhaps a perspective as to what may happen before death. Personally, I take NDEs with a grain of salt. Not that I don't believe what anyone sees or goes through, just that perhaps it is, or perhaps it isn't what people think. The human body does a lot of weird things when preparing itself for death.
I understand what you're saying. I apologize for getting off-base; if that's what I have done. What "happens after death" and "is there life after death" is so closely related, I find it hard to distinguish between the two. If I am still not understanding the point of this thread, please let me know. I am a very reasonable man. Again, I apologize.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,407,116 times
Thanks helios666, that exactly what I was trying to say, only you did it better.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:52 PM

10,734 posts, read 23,728,028 times
I believe since we all experience different beliefs, religions, non-beliefs it all trancends on the other side. For those that lack faith, enlightenment, and think that death is a bleak ending will probably trancend into that same existence in spirit. Much of what we believe here on earth manifests into reality, and will probably transpire on the other side as well. Christians will probably end up in a relm of like minded spirits. Whether they actually encounter Jesus or not, or Muslims encountering Mohammed is really unknown. I believe soul connections exist between earth and other planes of existence and the vail in between is thinner than ones conciousness could comprehend while experiencing this incarnation. I know that love is transcendent and that never ceases to exist.

Peoples beliefs can also change drasticly over a lifetimes. I didn't believe much of anything in the spirit world until somebody close to me had passed. I certainly never believed that death was just a non existence, I just hadn't contemplated it that much until losing a loved one. I think life here is way to short to evolve and do the work that ones soul was brought here to do. I think the souls energy is too strong to just terminate at the end of this life. Having seen open caskets the body looks like a mere shell of ones existence. The key is an open mind as a Buddhists beliefs may transcend into that type of reality in the afterlife, so there could be small element of truth in the worlds religions as well as atheism. That's probably what you will take with you if that's the path you choose.

It is true we better make this life count regardless of one believes. I'd rather look back on this life without having regrets.

I'm sure this post made me vulnerable to backlash. One could argue with me until they are blue in the face and say how do you know? I admit I don't, but the fact is neither does the non believer. I just know what I believe. One could fabricate contradiction and still wouldn't disprove it.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-14-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:03 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,706,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I beleive since we all experience different beliefs, religions, non-beliefs it all trancends on the other side. For those that lack faith, enlightenment, and think that death is a bleak ending will probably trancend into that same existence in spirit. Christians will probably end up in a relm of like minded spirits. Whether they actually encounter Jesus or not, or Muslims entountering Mohammed is really unknown. I believe soul connections exist between earth and other planes of existence and the vail in between is thinner than ones conciousness could comprehend while experiencing this incarnation. I know that love is transcendent and that never ceases to exist.

Peoples beliefs can also change drasticly over a lifetimes. I didn't believe much of anything in the spirit world until somebody close to me had passed. I certainly never believed that death was just a non existence, I just hadn't contemplated it that much until losing a loved one. I think life here is way to short to evolve and do the work that ones soul was brought here to do. I think the souls energy is too strong to just terminate at the end of this life. Having seen open caskets the body looks like a mere shell of ones existence. The key is an open mind as a Buddhists beliefs may transcend into that type of reality in the afterlife, so there could be small element of truth in the worlds religions as well as atheism. That's probably what you will take with you if that's the path you choose.

It is true we better make this life count regardless of one believes. I'd rather look back on this life without having regrets.

I'm sure this post made me vulnerable to backlash. One could argue with me until they are blue in the face and say how do you know? I admit I don't, but the fact is neither does the non believer. I just know what I believe, and in my eyes a contradiction still doesn't disprove it.
As an atheist, I'd be perfectly satisfied if death was just the end of my existence. If it meant missing out on a possible heaven, I'd be fine with that as long as I was also missing out on a possible hell. I'm at peace with nothingness after death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality