U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,064,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
What!!!

"I Kill with genocide, because Abraham never existed. I am your enemy for the love of choosing good against the virtuously proven Good."

Genesis !:21
Huh?

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The problem, as you put it, becomes a part of the picture when someone starts a thread asking a general question concerning God, and you turn it into a paean to Jesus. There are lots of people who don't necessarily follow Jesus' dictates.
Yes, for some the price is too high and rather silly.

If any man come unto me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brother, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he can not be my disciple." John 3:15

You will also notice that Jesus followers have not given all to the poor to follow him.

None have yet to show their faith either as he said they could.

This is how a true Christian show his faith.
You might note that there is no one here with faith.
If there was, we would all know it.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Mark 16:17-18.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

There is a small mountain of 16,000 people that will starve today and tomorrow and so on if you do not step up and show your faith.
Unfortunately, there are no true believers. Just hypocrites.

Regards
DL

Unread 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM

10,993 posts, read 8,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post

...Coming back to reality?...
Funny, I was wondering the same thing while reading through that post.

Really folks, a biblical sermon does not a universal truth make... as the beloved prophet and seer Yoda might have said.

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM

10,993 posts, read 8,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Yes.
Only man can put voice to the will of God.

Regards
DL

This all boils down to four possible rational opinons about the god of the bible:

1. God is (by all definitions of the word) evil. He is jealous, vindictive, condescending, controlling, petty, megalomanical, loves to torture and inflict pain, is prone to picking favorites and of playing games with his subjects. God as per the bible is in fact the ultimate midevil European king, and looks/acts more like a Charlamagne or Edward I to me than an all-knowing, all powerful being.

This means the bible is really about how to appease and serve an evil king without being sent to the "dungeon".

2. The will of god has been misinterpreted and/or falsified by men with evil intent. This would explain why a supposedly all-knowing superior being would behave like a very human petty-tyrant. But if it was so important, why would god let his will be twisted, misconstrued or outright falsified?

This means the bible is tainted by men with less-than-holy intentions and therefore suspect.

3. God does not want us to know details about his/her/it's nature or what we are doing here. This scenario would imply that we are here to learn and figure things out on our own in a uncertain world. Not knowing details of the next life would suggest we should be focusing on the here and now and are only walking through a small, inconsequential stage of our existences. Either that or mortal life is the ultimate trial by fire where only the greatest, most exceptional, lucky and intuitive souls will find their way back to god. So in this scenario either god is exceptionally cruel and unfair (since indiviual lives are far from equal playing fields), believes in something akin to the Navy Seal training philosophy or what happens in this life is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

This means the bible may contain the very general spirit of what god wants or serve as a generalistic guidebook, but by no means is the bible the absolute, literal truth.

3. God is absent or doesn't exist. This scenario honestly makes the most logical sense but is also not particularly spiritually fulfulling.

This means the bible is pure bunk, made up to fill a hole in basic human desire.

So, pick your posion....

Last edited by Chango; 08-23-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Unread 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

This all boils down to four possible rational opinons about the god of the bible:

1. God is (by all definitions of the word) evil. He is jealous, vindictive, condescending, controlling, petty, megalomanical, loves to torture and inflict pain, is prone to picking favorites and of playing games with his subjects. God as per the bible is in fact the ultimate midevil European king, and looks/acts more like a Charlamagne or Edward I to me than an all-knowing, all powerful being.

This means the bible is really about how to appease and serve an evil king without being sent to the "dungeon".

2. The will of god has been misinterpreted and/or falsified by men with evil intent. This would explain why a supposedly all-knowing superior being would behave like a very human petty-tyrant. But if it was so important, why would god let his will be twisted, misconstrued or outright falsified?

This means the bible is tainted by men with less-than-holy intentions and therefore suspect.

3. God does not want us to know details about his/her/it's nature or what we are doing here. This scenario would imply that we are here to learn and figure things out on our own in a uncertain world. Not knowing details of the next life would suggest we should be focusing on the here and now and are only walking through a small, inconsequential stage of our existences. Either that or mortal life is the ultimate trial by fire where only the greatest, most exceptional, lucky and intuitive souls will find their way back to god. So in this scenario either god is exceptionally cruel and unfair (since indiviual lives are far from equal playing fields), believes in something akin to the Navy Seal training philosophy or what happens in this life is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

This means the bible may contain the very general spirit of what god wants or serve as a generalistic guidebook, but by no means is the bible the absolute, literal truth.

3. God is absent or doesn't exist. This scenario honestly makes the most logical sense but is also not particularly spiritually fulfulling.

This means the bible is pure bunk, made up to fill a hole in basic human desire.

So, pick your posion....
Dailymotion - 2007-Doc Zone - Pagan Christ 1 of 3 - une vidéo Actu et Politique

Regards
DL

Unread 08-24-2010, 03:38 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,833,810 times
Quote:
Does and should God break His commandments?
There are inconsistencies in scripture that indicate that God is not subject to His own laws and commandments.
If, on earth as it is in heaven is to have meaning, and if God is to be our greatest example, we should remember that any human law maker is subject to his laws yet many think that God has more of a, do as I say and not as I do, type of morality. This to me would be an immoral and hypocritical position and I cannot see God taking it. If God is exempt from His own laws then, on earth as in heaven, can never come to pass.
As I look at the list of commandments, I see where God and or Jesus may indeed have broken some of the commandments.
The 1st You shall have no other gods before me.
It appears the Jesus broke this commandment by placing himself above God the Father, ----only through me. That is why we are told that if we do not believe in Jesus, we are doomed to hell. This basically usurps the function once held by the Father.
The 2nd You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
God Himself carved a set of commandments for Moses and thus breaks the commandment.
The 3rd You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
Pass.
The 4th Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
Jesus was accused of working and preaching on the Sabbath.
http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=Jesus%20sabbath&version1=9&searchtype=all
The 5th Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
Jesus seems again to place Himself ahead or above the Father which arguably shows a lack of respect.

The 6th You shall not murder.
God, in a large number of places in the O T, either kills or orders the killing of many and in the cases of children and babies, these can arguably be called murder.
The 7th You shall not commit adultery.
God is said to use Mary, another man’s woman, to reproduce what some would call a bastard son as it was born out of wedlock.
Tee 8th You shall not steal.
Pass.

The 9th You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
If lie is implied, we would see again a number of times where we can arguably say that God lied. The first would be in Eden to Adam and Eve who were told they could eat of the tree of life and later, God rescinded this statement and prevented that possibility. Thus making His statement a lie. It is also said by theists that god gave us our free will and He is also shown as rescinding this gift every time He killed or had someone killed. They would obviously had the free will choice to live and not die yet this free will decision was ignored by God.
10th You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.
God seems to break this one as well when He desired Mary as the vessel for His reproductive purposes. He also seems to covet our love honor and adoration quite strongly as, if it is denied, then those who do not, end in eternal hell.
These clearly show a poor record, 2 out of 10, for God in keeping His own commandment and laws. I have likely been marking in a stricter way than the average theist.
Should God be expected to keep the commandments?
If we can get past these then we can tackle the question of whether or not man can hold to the 10 commandments. I think we can actually do better than God.
Regards
DL

The commandments were made for man, and not for God. You somehow must think you are an equal to God, and now can dictate how God should be. Your like a speck of dust, and some how you have elevated yourself to a position of Godlike wisdom. Truly, such thinking is delusional. And your arguements are based on total nonsense. What universe have you created? LOL

Unread 08-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The commandments were made for man, and not for God. You somehow must think you are an equal to God, and now can dictate how God should be. Your like a speck of dust, and some how you have elevated yourself to a position of Godlike wisdom. Truly, such thinking is delusional. And your arguements are based on total nonsense. What universe have you created? LOL
Have you no faith in the words of Jesus.

Have ye forgotten that ye are Gods.

Jesus did not think us a speck of dust but sons of God.

Regards
DL

Unread 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM

465 posts, read 238,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Your fear mongering words are the only arguments you can use. "speck of dust" "what universe have you created" lol.

Yeah that's a society I want to live in. Where the leaders don't have to adhere to the very laws they made.

I'm assuming you want this nation to "come back to God" or "follow God"...well why stop at the 10 commandments? or prayer? Let's follow your god's nonsense to a T.

Mayors, city council members, the president, congress, police...let's agree that it is ok for them to murder, rape, steal, etc, since after all, we are just the common people. lol.

Unread 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,004,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
If You do...then You have to do what God says!

That is the problem these Days...no one listens or does what it says to do.
They are all off doing something else!

Wonder why?
I'd hazard a wild guess at....EDUCATION.

Unread 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,833,810 times
Quote:
Have you no faith in the words of Jesus.

Have ye forgotten that ye are Gods.

Jesus did not think us a speck of dust but sons of God.

Regards
DL

The vast majority of the world are not sons of God. Only those who have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

John 1:12

But as many (AS RECEIVED HIM, TO THEM) gave he power (TO BECOME THE SONS OF GOD,) even to them that believe on his name.

Have you received Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality