Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 PM

124 posts, read 396,643 times

Advertisements

Is It Possible For Religion and Logic Co-Exist? NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Logic tells me that all of this matter called the universe simply couldn't have come from nothing. Even if you take the big bang down to it's most simple and microscopic beginnings, it still suggests that it had to have been created. Can anyone here make something from absolutely nothing, no materials? I doubt it.
I can accept the act of faith in believing that ultimately, somewhere there had to be a start to the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Logic tells me that to look at the complexities of the human body, I simply cannot reason that I came from a single-cell amoeba that evolved from some primordial muck that resulted from some big blast of something from nothing.
Here's where you lose me. How does logic explain human embryos having gills at one stage of their development and physically resembling the embryos of many, many other species? How does logic explain the vestigial tail humans possess? I can accept a supernatural hand somewhere in time but to me the scientific evidence that evolution did occur is overwhelming.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
On April 1, 2005, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (who would become Pope Benedict XVI just over two weeks later) referred to the Christian religion as the religion of the Logos:

Christianity must always remember that it is the religion of the "Logos." It is faith in the "Creator Spiritus," in the Creator Spirit, from which proceeds everything that exists. Today, this should be precisely its philosophical strength, in so far as the problem is whether the world comes from the irrational, and reason is not, therefore, other than a "sub-product," on occasion even harmful of its development or whether the world comes from reason, and is, as a consequence, its criterion and goal. The Christian faith inclines toward this second thesis, thus having, from the purely philosophical point of view, really good cards to play, despite the fact that many today consider only the first thesis as the only modern and rational one par excellence. However, a reason that springs from the irrational, and that is, in the final analysis, itself irrational, does not constitute a solution for our problems. Only creative reason, which in the crucified God is manifested as love, can really show us the way. In the so necessary dialogue between secularists and Catholics, we Christians must be very careful to remain faithful to this fundamental line: to live a faith that comes from the "Logos," from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.[2]

I don't necessarily agree with everything the pope says here, but I am impressed by his call to reason, even though he seems to conflate it with emotion (love).

To answer the OP, I believe religion as a philosophy and logic can indeed co-exist. There is nothing illogical about Jesus' message. The Tao, not necessarily a religion, is an example of a belief system grounded in logic. It's when religion goes beyond philosophy to "truth" that certain dogmatically held beliefs become illogical.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Did the writers of the ancient religious books intentionally make Religion and Logic incompatible or was it by accident?
Huh? Read St. Thomas Aquinas. You don't get more logical than that. Once you get through St. Thomas Aquinas, try G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and Francis Schaeffer. Some of the greatest thinkers of the last 1,000 years were devoutly religious men.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Here's where you lose me. How does logic explain human embryos having gills at one stage of their development and physically resembling the embryos of many, many other species? How does logic explain the vestigial tail humans possess? I can accept a supernatural hand somewhere in time but to me the scientific evidence that evolution did occur is overwhelming.
To me, these issues LOGICALLY point to a common Creator.

When you enter into various automotive plants, the automobiles all look fairly similar to a point. Then the variations and different kinds of cars take shape as the process is completed.

All cars have a common creator, man.

All lifeforms have a common Creator, God.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:16 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
To me, these issues LOGICALLY point to a common Creator.

You are both right.

I feel like I'm watching two people argue over the origin of the statue of David. One of you is saying, "Michelangelo made this! It's obvious!" To which the other responds, "No. Hammers and chisels made this. Look at the evidence. It's obvious!"

You're both right.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You are both right.

I feel like I'm watching two people argue over the origin of the statue of David. One of you is saying, "Michelangelo made this! It's obvious!" To which the other responds, "No. Hammers and chisels made this. Look at the evidence. It's obvious!"

You're both right.

I was questioning the statement made by someone that: "I simply cannot reason that I came from a single-cell amoeba that evolved from some primordial muck" which seemed to me to be a denial of evolution. I don't question if a supernatural power got the ball rolling.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,532 times
I don't want to go too far down the evolution path, as that can easily stray pretty far from the OP, and we have had several threads discussing that recently.

I will point out that there is no evidence that god did it. You may have faith that god did, but there is nothing with god's signature, and nothing that cannot be explained through physical processes.

Again, faith over logic. Bald assertions that you think/feel that god did it, but no proof. Logic would therefore have it that you cannot claim god as a cause.

Again, showing that faith and logic diverge in the matter of religion.

I must thank you guys for making my point for me over and over and over again.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I will point out that there is no evidence that god did it. You may have faith that god did, but there is nothing with god's signature, and nothing that cannot be explained through physical processes.

stretch
, since we religious people are so illogical, would you mind too terribly jumping over to one of the evolution/creation threads and explain to me the physical processes that 1) creates something out of nothing and 2) takes that something that was just created and makes it alive?

Anxiously awaiting your superior logic, Alpha

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-26-2007 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: plural 'physical process' so stretch can expound at wwill

Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM

668 posts, read 681,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Did the writers of the ancient religious books intentionally make Religion and Logic incompatible or was it by accident? It amazes me that in order for a person to believe in God and follow the beliefs of a religion, the person has to abandon logic to do so. Afterall, if God gave man logic and the ability to reason, why would he not allow man to use logic and reason to understand him and his ways? Instead, religion, both Christianity and Islam says that man cannot understand the things and ways of God by logic and understanding. Consequently, when people ask logical questions about their religion, they are treated as outcasts and rejected from the religion.
I don't think Christ would treat you as an outcast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality