Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Alrighty then...thanks for the completely irrelevant scripture.

Now back to what I had originally posted...you know the questions you completely ignored...how about you try actually answering those this time.
Actually ChristyGrl, the scripture is right on point. You take scripture out of context all the time, as do many of the others here.

Some of you don't even accept the Tanakh and/or Paul's letters.

I'm not sure what your question was--your post just seems insulting, to be honest. If you genuinely want me to address a particular question, could you please be specific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Actually ChristyGrl, the scripture is right on point. You take scripture out of context all the time, as do many of the others here.

Some of you don't even accept the Tanakh and/or Paul's letters.

I'm not sure what your question was--your post just seems insulting, to be honest. If you genuinely want me to address a particular question, could you please be specific?

Since you missed it the first time I asked it....here it is again all neatly cut and pasted here:

Are Christians not called to have the mind of Christ...to think and to act like Christ...to be the hands and feet of Christ in this world???

Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Since you missed it the first time I asked it....here it is again all neatly cut and pasted here:

Are Christians not called to have the mind of Christ...to think and to act like Christ...to be the hands and feet of Christ in this world???
Oh yes, we are. But the REAL question is: what does that mean exactly?

Does it mean whatever Oprah says it means?

Does it mean whatever ChristyGrl thinks it means?

I think not!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, we are. But the REAL question is: what does that mean exactly?

Does it mean whatever ChristyGrl thinks it means?

I think not!
Then how do those things differ from someone developing a Christ Consciousness in their everyday life?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Then how do those things differ from someone developing a Christ Consciousness in their everyday life?
ChristyGrl, define your terms. What do you mean by "Christ Consciousness?" exactly?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
ChristyGrl, define your terms. What do you mean by "Christ Consciousness?" exactly?
Christ Consciousness = Having the mind of Christ

Christ Consciousness = Being the hands and feet of Christ in this world

Christ Consciousness = Treating others with love, respect, kindness, and compassion just as Christ did.

********Christ Consciousness = A completely Christlike state of mind and life************

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Christ Consciousness = Having the mind of Christ

Christ Consciousness = Being the hands and feet of Christ in this world

Christ Consciousness = Treating others with love, respect, kindness, and compassion just as Christ did.

********Christ Consciousness = A completely Christlike state of mind and life************
You are begging the question. What does it mean to "have the mind of Christ" or "be the hands and feet of Christ"?

Does it mean what ChristGrl thinks it means?

In short, I have no idea what you mean by these phrases. They are not metaphors whose meanings are self-evident, and they require interpretation.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You are begging the question. What does it mean to "have the mind of Christ" or "be the hands and feet of Christ"?

Does it mean what ChristGrl thinks it means?

In short, I have no idea what you mean by these phrases. They are not metaphors whose meanings are self-evident, and they require interpretation.
My bad....I was under the impression that you were a "Christian"...apparently I was mistaken. All of the Christians I've ever encountered know exactly what that means.

The bible teaches that we are to have "the mind of Christ"....did you miss that while you were throwing out those IRRELEVANT bible verses???

Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
My bad....I was under the impression that you were a "Christian"...apparently I was mistaken.

The bible teaches that we are to have "the mind of Christ"....did you miss that while you were throwing out those IRRELEVANT bible verses???

Christy,

As I already explained, the phrase "having the mind of Christ" is a metaphor, the meaning of which is not self-evident. I don't know what you interpret this metaphor to mean. I agree with you that the Bible says this, and that Christians are supposed to do this, but I have no idea whether you attach the same meaning to the phrase as I do.

As regards my religious belief, I am a Roman Catholic. From what I remember (correct me if I am wrong), you embrace the gospels but reject Paul's letters as authoratative--is this correct?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:35 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
First of all, Christ was NOT God, nor was he the only Son of God. Therefore, Christianity is a lie within a delusion (sorry to be so blunt Christians). Observe these quotes taken straight from the bible.

Luke 18:18-18:19
Quote:
And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
Genesis 6:1-6:2
Quote:
When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they came in to any of them they chose.
Could the bible not have been any clearer? With that said, Oprah is free to preach whatever she wishes. Don't take offense, but Christianity is not something that Jesus wanted to happen. This is why he said "why callest thou me Good? none is good save one, that is, God." Oprah's "multiple paths" to God does not contradict the bible at all.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-20-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality