U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 AM

978 posts, read 1,859,751 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the Christianity forum, but I thought it was more appropriate to post here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like honest opinions here. Whether you are a Christian or not, but especially if you consider yourself a TRUE CHRISTIAN and your opinion.
Below is what has transpired over the course of a few months going back to last school year.

A small private Christian School (which we will call it XX Christian School) which is part of a church, and therfore considers the school a ministry of the church has decided to become accredited by their state or national accreditation organization, a Christian organization that accreditates Christian Schools. Over the last school year or two, the principal informed staff that the school was going to be pursuing accreditation and begin the process. Ok, here is where in my opinion things start getting a little bit odd.

During this time the principal never informed staff personnel or teachers what individual teachers needed or expected to have to be accredited. Only general info. including the following:

-School facilities must adhere to certain codes
-Certain equipment and safety
-And other general info.

Most teachers about 85% or more (according to my source)have bachelors degree. However, at no time did he inform staff, or at least certain staff in jeopardy of not being able to meet the requirements what they needed etc. Even though it is common for teachers to have at least a Bachelors degree. School year ends in June and in April, no teacher contract yet. In May, same thing and many teachers are feeling uneasy. Finally, after the last day of school the principal begins to issue renewed contract to those offered contracts, and informs those that will not be returning that they are not. Some of them were informed that because they did not have a bachelors degree that they cannot return. Even those that were about 1 year away. Furthermore, a few teachers were in limbo most of the summer without a contract due to the fact that the principal kept promising a certain position and then when handed the employee contract it was a different position. A few were given contracts a few weeks into the summer just to be informed by the principal a few days later something like this " I am sorry, we have to cancel your contract". Interestingly enough, some were given different reasons for canceling contracts. This in return resulted in a negative consequence for the principal as a few teachers that already signed their contracts jump shipped and accepted other offers from other schools within a few weeks from the school year starting after seeing the lack of honesty, professionalism, integrity, and lack of CHRISTIAN CHARACTER.

What makes this even more absurd and even shows the hypocrisy of the school's administration is this. XX Christian School's principal who was appointed by the Pastor did not even have his Bachelors degree when appointed to the position a few years ago. Just this past year did he earn his Bachelor degree (do not know what major), and now suddenly, they are off to the races and want to get the school accredited ASAP. Keep in mind, the new principal has been involved with the church and has known the pastor for over 20 years according to my source. This is an obvious example of "Not what you know, but who you know". However, according to the pastor "John Doe is the right person for the job" because, "It is his calling and we prayed about it".

There are many more examples that I can include. However, I think by now many of you can get the picture. My source, happens to not only work at XX Christian School, but this person is also a member of this church and has been for a few years now. However, this person feels really awful about what has transpired, and doubts the school/church leaders honesty, sincerity, and integrity, and no longer wants to continue attending church their any longer. However, this person fears that by no longer attending XX church, that the teaching position may be in jeopardy. Also, whenever teachers that also attend the church misses a Sunday service, they get questioned about it, in a nice way, but questioned.

What are your thought and opinions. Feel free to elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM

21,199 posts, read 19,958,374 times
Well, I don't think that is any way for any school to operate if it wants to have a pleasant working environment for the teachers. If I were a teacher there that also attended the church - I would be looking elsewhere for employement and worship! I would like to just say one little thing - being moral, honest and decent are not just traits that are expected in Christians - they are expected in all human beings. Therefore, I would say that this is not the way for a Christian person to behave - I would say this is not the way for a person to behave.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,097,989 times
Teachers without teaching credentials?

But the kids won't be taught any nonsense like science, or evolution.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 PM

978 posts, read 1,859,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I don't think that is any way for any school to operate if it wants to have a pleasant working environment for the teachers. If I were a teacher there that also attended the church - I would be looking elsewhere for employement and worship! I would like to just say one little thing - being moral, honest and decent are not just traits that are expected in Christians - they are expected in all human beings. Therefore, I would say that this is not the way for a Christian person to behave - I would say this is not the way for a person to behave.
Dewdrop, you are right on. I totally agree with you. In fact, I told my friend who is a teacher at this school the same thing to start looking elsewhere for employment and worship. Supposedly, one or a few teachers that were let go were given the run around when they were inquiring about their contracts prior to the school year ending. I agree that being moral, honest, and decent is expected from human beings, but even more so in an environment that preaches this on a daily basis. It is almost like instead of "walking the talk" they just "talk the talk". One would think especially with the high unemployment rate today as well that most schools are fully staffed for the upcoming school year by May, that at the very least the school could have given some of these teachers sufficient notice prior to the end of the school year so they can begin their search for a new job. From my understanding these employees were in good standing with the school and were treated like "family" by the principal. WOW! not a good testimony of their faith. Especially when sufficient notice could have easily been given.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 PM

2,664 posts, read 3,531,485 times
You can be a teacher without a 4 year degree?People pay money to send their kids to a school with teachers who haven't completed their own education?Sounds like a pretty strange school to me...

Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,097,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
You can be a teacher without a 4 year degree?People pay money to send their kids to a school with teachers who haven't completed their own education?Sounds like a pretty strange school to me...
The fear of their child being taught valid science scares the deluded into some delusional choices.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM

1,116 posts, read 984,378 times
No wonder the school was not accredited! What school hires teachers who don't have Bachelor's degrees (unless they are teaching preschool)? Those teachers should never have been hired in the first place. The prinicpal in only trying to fix a problem that should never have happened in the first place.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,695,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I posted this on the Christianity forum, but I thought it was more appropriate to post here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like honest opinions here. Whether you are a Christian or not, but especially if you consider yourself a TRUE CHRISTIAN and your opinion.
Below is what has transpired over the course of a few months going back to last school year. A small private Christian School... What are your thought and opinions. Feel free to elaborate.
Looks like wishy-washy bad management all the way around, but I agree with the other posters... what's with the teachers not having bachelor's degrees? That's very strange.

Perhaps this school is hoping to become accredited so they can raise their tuition fees... let's face it, it's a business, even though a Christian one, you would think they should be more thoughtful of the teachers... but, instead, they get a D rating for their handling of the situation.

And another curiosity is the fact that the man who became principal just got a bachelor's degree... hmmm... many principals where I live need to have doctorate degrees, but not sure if that applies to parochial schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality