Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
... last time I checked the Jewish G-d was same as the Christian God.
No, the Christian G-d is the same as the Jewish G-d.

Quote:
"Allah" is just the Arabic word for "God" ...
Muslims believe that Allah is greater than G-d.

Allahu Akbar means "God is greater", as in Allah is greater than G-d.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No, the Christian G-d is the same as the Jewish G-d.

Quote:
No, I'm pretty sure Muslims worship one God. The Abrahamic God in fact.

Quote:
Ehh, no.

It means Allah (i.e. God) is greater than man and [sic] false gods.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent way to make the point that references to generic God are NOT references to specific religions and cannot violate the establishment clause . . . something too many rabble-rousing atheists cannot seem to grasp.
Fail.

When the phrase "under god" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance, it specifically referred to the christian god. It was not god in the generic sense.

You would know that if you had read the hearing minutes and debate published in Congressional Quarterly. Congress did not have the Hindu gods, Muslim god, Zoroastrian god or any other god in mind.

Referring...

Mircea

Quote:
The Christian theocrats who had "God" foisted into our pledge, motto and money certainly didn't have a "generic"
If you read Jefferson et al, the god they are referring to is quite clearly the God of Reason and not Yahweh or Jesus or any other god. While that claim can be made for the US motto and money, it cannot be made for the Pledge of Allegiance for the reason I explained previously.

Quote:
Besides, using "God" in the singular sense also establishes a preference for monotheistic religions over polytheism and other forms of religious belief, and that in itself is indeed a violation of the establishment clause.
Good point.

Generically...

Mircea

Quote:

That has to be one of the silliest things I've read so far this year.

Allahu Akbar also means "god is greatest."

Taken in the sense that god is greater, it means god is greater than anything, not Allah is greater than god. Allah and god are one in the same thing.

If you knew anything about Islam, then you'd know that Jews and Christians are a protected class, because they are members of the "revealed religions" since christians, Jews and Muslims all have the same god. Thus it would be stupid to suggest that Allah is greater than god, since god is Yahweh and so is Allah.

Knowing...

Mircea

Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you knew anything about Islam, then you'd know that Jews and Christians are a protected class ...
Protected in so far as they will be murdered after pagans are murdered.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
That G-d mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance is the Jewish G-d.

It doesn't matter to me which God of the bible it is, my point is that God hasn't been taken out of schools. I would like to why you believe God in the Pledge Of Allegiance is the Jewish God.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I would like to why you believe God in the Pledge Of Allegiance is the Jewish God. :think:
The Jewish G-d is the G-d of Creation and the G-d at Sinai and there is no other G-d.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It doesn't matter to me which God of the bible it is, my point is that God hasn't been taken out of schools.
G-d is still in the non-gov't'l schools.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
The Jewish G-d is the G-d of Creation and the G-d at Sinai and there is no other G-d.

While I agree that that Jewish God and the Christian God are different, that's a matter of opnion on your part. Even Satan is different in the bible. There is no proof that the God of the OT is the God in the Pledge Of Allegence.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if there is a GOD, whatever his/her/its true identity IS, is wherever he/she/it wishes to be. Keeping false man made gods and religions out of schools won't be of any concern to any "supreme" being.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
I know it has wandered around a lot, but the thread was started using this title: Effects of removing religion from public schools

Church-based schools can still pray as often as they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality