Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Medical treatment carries possible side effect of limiting homosexuality - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Oops! I forgot. People aren't born gay, right? God would never create what he condemns or so some people tell us.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,959,727 times
People can choose who they want to be in life. Sexuality is a choice just like everything else in life. I noticed that many people make conflated comparisons of race and sexuality, and they do so using a false premise: That different races of people are inherently different...this is untrue. Race is not an inherent characteristic. Race and subsequently racism is a relatively modern social construct originated by European settlers as a platform for declaring supremacy on the grounds that one group of people with a particular set of PHYSICAL characteristics are somehow inherently different than other groups of people with different physical characteristics.

Before this notion was introduced by European settlers (especially spaniards), people were valued by their nation of origin, not by the color of their skin and other physical characteristics - or what we call "race"..and it was understood that the reason their physical characteristics were different werent due to any inherent difference. But rather it was understood that, those physical features were different due to climate and location from which a peoples originated. Thus what we consider "race" (physical characteristics) is purely a result of genetics and to a lesser degree nowdays, climate/geographical location - any other differences in behavior is entirely contingent on culture..which again, isnt genetic.

Those physical features transformed from place to place due to adaptive genetic mutations to suit whichever particular climate and geography in which a group of people lived. Ironically, due to increased mobility through industrialization, and thus being less restricted to any particular climate or location, our physical features are becoming more uniform and less identifiable by "race" alone. In other words, the genetics which form our physical features are once again transforming and adapting.

This is where sexuality differs imo. Unless one believes that the first two humans were two people of the same sex who spawned children and then proliferated the human species, and today we are all becoming increasingly bisexual, one cant truly say that homosexuality has been around since time immemorial..

Unless of course they mean figuratively, and only in the most abstract
sense (maybe eve was a repressed homosexual?...lol)....Similarly, one would have to believe that a black person and a white person were not only physically different, but inherently different. Personally, I dont buy into this modern construct either.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,154,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
People can choose who they want to be in life. Sexuality is a choice just like everything else in life.
Riiight. So then you could just wake up one day, decide to be gay, find yourself truly attracted to a man and have a meaningful sexual, emotional and possibly spiritual relationship with him as a lover and life partner, correct?

I don't think so.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,117,446 times
Solytaire: That simply isn't true. Sexuality is not a choice.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM

180 posts, read 216,611 times
I dont know about the others guys in here , but I didnt make a choice to be attracted to women .... I just was.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,638,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
I dont know about the others guys in here , but I didnt make a choice to be attracted to women .... I just was.
Thats because there is no choice in the matter. The choice you have to make is if you want the blond or brunette, or red perhaps? Or all three?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

651 posts, read 1,414,396 times
Quote:

This is where sexuality differs imo. Unless one believes that the first two humans were two people of the same sex who spawned children and then proliferated the human species, and today we are all becoming increasingly bisexual, one cant truly say that homosexuality has been around since time immemorial..
How do you make the leap from race to 'homosexuality cannot exist unless the first two humans were gay?' I'm not following. We've evolved into our modern form and are still in transition. Genes for homosexuality could have been present in the species that we evolved from or we could have evolved them after we became 'human'.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,746,174 times
I guess fundies will belive gayness isn't a sin around the same time they admit the world is more than 6000 years old, that Adam and eve didn't ride dinosaurs naked through a lovely garden until they ate some nasty magic apples and that two of every animal on the planet could never actually fit in a single 400 ft long wooden boat while the earth was entirely covered with water.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,990,708 times
Quote:
People can choose who they want to be in life. Sexuality is a choice just like everything else in life.
Really? You are equally attracted to men, women, puppies, watermelons, and dressing up in leather? Makes no difference to you, and you can choose any of the above equally? Abstinence and having regular sex, similarly is as important as a coin flip?

Lets be real. Sexuality is really complicated, and has a huge number of factors, which probably combine both nature and nurture. It is not a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality