U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered this as an atheist. Why would a Christian deity create humankind and yet not make sure that all his children even had any idea he and Jesus existed and easy access to it ?
I just do not understand this.

You expect to be worshipped and have your "word" accepted when most of the world's population had never even heard of Christianity until missionaries started spreading the "word" ??

Makes no sense to me if he thought the"true" religion was so darn important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 AM

2,214 posts, read 4,995,171 times
Originally, man was very aware. As the years progressed, man used their God-given freedoms to thwart his purposes and go expressly against his commandments in spite of this knowledge.

So basically, it doesnt matter whether he proves his existence or not. Man is still going to do what they want. Remember Pharoah and the Red Sea.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 AM

I'm sorry , I think I have duplicated this post by accident. I don't know how to delete the other one?

So people in the Amazon for example chose to ignore a Christian god?!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm talking about long ago, closer to creation-the bible gives us accounts of mankind turning on God even when completely aware of his existence.

And now, even in the Amazon-most tribes do believe in a higher power, a creator etc. Just because they may not be completely aware of his true nature due to their seclusion, doesnt mean they're not sincere in their own form of worship.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 AM

51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
Well put Alicenavada, it's man's nature to be disobedient to what God tells us to do. We come into this world to get tested against all of the temptations that are out there. Mathew 7:13 explains it well "The gateway to eternal damnation is wide open and so many will choose the easy way."

Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 AM

I agree about the Amazonian tribe being sincere and I actually think their beliefs is as valid as anybody else's ( I'm an atheist so to me ALL religions and belief system are on exactly the same level). ( In fact I find animism far more logical in many respects- I studied Anthropology as well as archaeology so find this fascinating)

I just find it strange that a Christian deity would create mankind knowing that most of its children would never even be aware of his existence and that this rather essential piece of knowledge would be lost. In essence you are condemning humankind to ignorance of what is supposed to be the main comfort and richness in your life. Sounds rather cruel.
Why only reveal yourself to people in Palestine 2000 ago? Why not all over the world all at the same time so everyone had the same chance of hearing the "word". As an atheist it only reinforces that Christianity is just another religion and though I am told god moves in mysterious ways ,otherwise why would he make it so selective. I find it completely baffling philosophically speaking. I just find it strange when people mention that their religion is the "true" one. There seems to be many holes in the whole plot to me anyway and I do not mean to offend anyone .

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,374,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree about the Amazonian tribe being sincere and I actually think their beliefs is as valid as anybody else's ( I'm an atheist so to me ALL religions and belief system are on exactly the same level). ( In fact I find animism far more logical in many respects- I studied Anthropology as well as archaeology so find this fascinating)

I just find it strange that a Christian deity would create mankind knowing that most of its children would never even be aware of his existence and that this rather essential piece of knowledge would be lost. In essence you are condemning humankind to ignorance of what is supposed to be the main comfort and richness in your life. Sounds rather cruel.
Why only reveal yourself to people in Palestine 2000 ago? Why not all over the world all at the same time so everyone had the same chance of hearing the "word". As an atheist it only reinforces that Christianity is just another religion and though I am told god moves in mysterious ways ,otherwise why would he make it so selective. I find it completely baffling philosophically speaking. I just find it strange when people mention that their religion is the "true" one. There seems to be many holes in the whole plot to me anyway and I do not mean to offend anyone .
Very interesting. I struggle still with this question, but not as much as I used to. It seems to me if, as Christianity claims, eternal life and death resides in a decision to be made in this lifetime, when everything is not made perfectly clear...it just didn't seem fair! If our eternal fate resides in our decision in this life, shouldn't God make it crystal clear to everyone?

Now I believe that the final decision doesn't lie just on this side!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 AM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
God does make it crystal clear, some people just refuse to believe. Read Romans 1:19-20 and you see no one is without excuse.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,374,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God does make it crystal clear, some people just refuse to believe. Read Romans 1:19-20 and you see no one is without excuse.
Crystal clear=God shows up in the flesh before the eyes of every human being.

Words in an old book (unsaved POV) does not consitute crystal clear.

Clarification: I am playing devil's advocate here. I myself look around and see God revealed throughout creation!

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-27-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

So are you agnostic, then or atheist? Do you deny that God could possibly exist or are you denying that based on lack of proof? I wasnt sure by your post.

I'm also not sure why you feel most of mankind is ignorant of God? What basis do you have for that belief? I'm not talking about Christ or the bible, I'm talking about GOD. Like I said, the fact that even the most primitive of tribesmen believe in SOME type of deity, shows me that man is born with a need to worship something. So in my mind, the only thing these ones are ignorant of if the true nature of God...and we are instructed in the bible to make disciples to the 'most distant parts of the earth' and find those ones so they can come to know Him as He really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or