Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much money does it take to be considered rich?
$10,000 1 3.33%
$100,000 4 13.33%
$500,000 7 23.33%
$1,000,000 5 16.67%
$5,000,000 (gettin' on up there) 10 33.33%
More than $5,000,000 2 6.67%
I'll just escape the question doing my "dogma" card! 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,491 times

Advertisements

This thread is asinine. I would call on the fellow Christians (even you Jeff) to stop feeding the threads which have no purpose but to flame and attack Christians. perhaps this will reduce the number of threads whose sole purpose is flaming us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Seems like many like to use other verses and creative ideas to get out of direct verses that apply to them.
When you take a single quotation and make it it's own context it is easy to misinterpret things. In order to make a consistent interpretation you must also consider all of the other quotations in the document to ascertain the overall context of the quote. The use of other verses to help explain the meaning and intent of a quote is essential, not weaseling out as you put it in another message.

You asked what defines rich. If you eliminate all other biblical quotations from consideration, they you are left with two choices. You can set an arbitrary figure, as you did with $500,000, or you can use other available historical data to determine a context.

The problem with the first is that it is highly unlikely (I am trying to be nice here) that any Jews, or even gentiles though they were not yet being included in any teaching sessions, possessed any U.S. dollars so that would mean that there was no such thing as a rich man in the times. So what was the point of the lesson if there was no restriction to entry into heaven since there could be no rich people?

The problem with the second is that the context of external documents may be less applicable to the context of the quote than other quotes within the original document. At best, external documents may speak to similar, but not exact, scenarios and at worst they are completely irrelevant to the original intent of the quote in debate.

It would be far preferable to use the original document to ascertain a close contextual meaning.

Having decided I will use the quote source to determine it's context and that must mean other biblical verse, I have to conclude that the intent of the quote is not to define a set limit of wealth to preclude entry into heaven, but rather to illustrate that priorities and values can prevent the proper attitude and state of mind necessary to meet the other requirements of admission.

I feel that it is intended to show that when a person is comfortable with their situation, they are loath to change and will resist the changes required to move from a secular set of priorities to a spiritual set.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
This thread is asinine. I would call on the fellow Christians (even you Jeff) to stop feeding the threads which have no purpose but to flame and attack Christians. perhaps this will reduce the number of threads whose sole purpose is flaming us.
I think you're right, brittz! Of course, I may have to cut this one some slack because he's from my hometown!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:15 AM

668 posts, read 682,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Yup ! I can't imagine Jesus sitting on a pile of cash whilst millions starved. In fact I can't imagine Jesus with more than what he actually needed to live. But then again I don't believe so I can't interpret anything he is supposed to have said.

Most do change things up a bit here and there to suit themselves. It's human nature.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think you're right, brittz! Of course, I may have to cut this one some slack because he's from my hometown!

Thanks Kay,

My intent was not to attack, just to make you think. I'm really joking, but it seems I'm hacking off a lot of you fine folks so I'll stop (or attempt to) now!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Thanks Kay,

My intent was not to attack, just to make you think. I'm really joking, but it seems I'm hacking off a lot of you fine folks so I'll stop (or attempt to) now!
Is your first name Alex

Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Thanks Kay,

I think I "get" you Trebek, at least as far as what you are trying to do here. I also used to start threads to "make people think" and ended up trolling and flaming instead, inadvertantly. The way you are wording things is inflammatory. Rather than using sarcasm to indirectly make your point, just make your point, ya know? Doing what you just did doesn't make anyone think anything except that you are inciting arguments and insulting people's beliefs along the way!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Even me? Sheesh...I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Even me? Sheesh...I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented.
LOL!! Just because we see things differently does not mean we aren't both brothers in Christ.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Is your first name Alex
No, it's Al and my friends consider me a bit of a know-it-all (I rock at trivia) so they call me Trebek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality