Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times

Advertisements

Since it is symbolic of the blood spilt at Calvary, there is no actual blood or flesh being ingested. Although ome believe in transubstantiation, and the Real Presence, I was once Catholic and believed that too. But anymore since I do believe that, it really is kind of moot as far as I am concerned.

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Hey no personal attacks thats mean!
Whats "ecumenical" mean?
This is a forum, not a place to agree on everything. Don't take things so personally.
Okay....sorry, maybe you would have been one to hang around when Christ said, in JOHN 6:51 - I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world..... but based on your post of finding this revolting, I was making an assumption.

But, how does one explain away the following words of Christ Himself?:

JOHN 6:52-56 The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his Blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Ecumenical means to work together on common ground.....christians all belive in critical, foundational principles.

I don't expect all to agree w/ me, but I do expect common courtesy and respect. Just recently there has been alot of anti-catholic/bashing remarks that have attacked catholocism and catholics, in general. We even have one poster who feels it's her "mission" to "convert" catholics, since she was once one. So, that's what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if everyone here even realizes how special, important and sacred catholics view Holy Communion/the Eucharist. Calling communion revolting, referring to us as cannibals, etc are hurtful and insulting.

It would be nice many christians here practice what they preach.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Yeah to me its got to be symbolic, otherwise, if you threw up after communion you would find a piece of meat mixed with blood.
There are actually "eucharistic miracles" where the bread has turned into human flesh after the consecration. There are documented cases, which were scientifically studied and examined, around the world, but the most well-known one is in Lanciano, Italy where the flesh was actually proven to be that of a human heart.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:14 AM

267 posts, read 533,483 times
Me too.

I've brought it up before, but no one seemed to want to talk about it.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
There are actually "eucharistic miracles" where the bread has turned into human flesh after the consecration. There are documented cases, which were scientifically studied and examined, around the world, but the most well-known one is in Lanciano, Italy where the flesh was actually proven to be that of a human heart.
And that in now way would be of God... and if that were the case it would be no less than cannibalism...
I do not need to eat God to have Him in me always.
Matthew 15:
17Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

MBG

Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post

I'm sorry but I don't believe your claim...lets see some proof, like a link to a reliable AND objective source for example.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
However, here are the verses that explains what he was talking about:

John 6:44-47, 63-65

44"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. 46No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."

He was speaking in spiritual terms. If we do not partake of Jesus spiritually and believe in him, you will not have everlasting life. That's what it means. From my perspective, holy communion/lord's supper is symbolic of what is spoken here. IMO, you are not literally eating the flesh of Jesus or drinking the blood of Jesus. The communion/lord's supper is observed in rememberance of Him, to remind us of his sacrifice.
Tell it to the judge...........wouldn't go very far in a court of law.
Just think of all the horrible deeds that have been done , in the name of Jesus , and other martyrs. Most religions are evil. Chris Hutchins says it best, His book makes a lot of sense.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:06 AM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if everyone here even realizes how special, important and sacred catholics view Holy Communion/the Eucharist. Calling communion revolting, referring to us as cannibals, etc are hurtful and insulting
Are you actually drinking blood and eating flesh in communion? No, You are having a sip of wine and eating a wafer of bread. So you are not a cannibal.

When my children were young there was a bill board outside a church, that spoke about the blood and flesh of Christ and were a bit freaked by the terminology. I didn't intend the post as an attack against Catholics (like you hold a monopoly on communion?).

Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Tell it to the judge...........wouldn't go very far in a court of law.
Just think of all the horrible deeds that have been done , in the name of Jesus , and other martyrs. Most religions are evil. Chris Hutchins says it best, His book makes a lot of sense.
Think of all the evil that has been done in the name of personal ambition. Most ambition is intrinsically evil. I say it best, my post makes a lot of sense.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 AM

668 posts, read 681,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Think of all the evil that has been done in the name of personal ambition. Most ambition is intrinsically evil. I say it best, my post makes a lot of sense.

During the American Civil war, both sides frequently claimed that God was on their side. But God had nothing to do with it.

The Inquisition was a different story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality