Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by sanspeur
Quote:
If we didn't have genetically modified food more than half the world would starve to death....Is that what you are aiming for?
Be that as it may, creating more food to combat global hunger is counterproductive. More food only means that the world population will only increase which causes the need for even more food, which again will only increase the world population, etc.
Unfortunately science is not the answer to every problem.
Or do pro-science people also believe that we non-genetically modified people should be replaced by genetically modified people so Earth can finally turn into the Garden of Eden?

Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan
Quote:
There are different forms of genetic engineering: those that "improve the breed" by breeding those animals or plants that have, what are deemed, superior characteristics, and those that transplant genetic material from one species to another species.
True, but by only breeding plants and animals that have 'superior' characteristics we diminish the biodiversity on Earth which is unnatural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Be that as it may, creating more food to combat global hunger is counterproductive. More food only means that the world population will only increase which causes the need for even more food, which again will only increase the world population, etc.
The more productive people there are, the better off we all are.

Quote:
true, but by only breeding plants and animals that have 'superior' characteristics we diminish the biodiversity on Earth which is unnatural.
We improve per acre yields of plants and the rate of weight gain for animals, which is a good thing as it allows us all to have better food at cheaper prices.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur Be that as it may, creating more food to combat global hunger is counterproductive. More food only means that the world population will only increase which causes the need for even more food, which again will only increase the world population, etc.
Unfortunately science is not the answer to every problem.
Or do pro-science people also believe that we non-genetically modified people should be replaced by genetically modified people so Earth can finally turn into the Garden of Eden?

Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan True, but by only breeding plants and animals that have 'superior' characteristics we diminish the biodiversity on Earth which is unnatural.
I certainly agree with the first part of your post...Forget global warming and running out of oil. The biggest challenge facing us is overpopulation...The only sensible solution I can see is somehow slowing the human reproduction rate down...If that rate were slowed to an average of two children per family or less world wide, the population would slowly decrease.

Check this out...It has to stop, or be reversed. World Population Clock - Worldometers
There are more than 200,000 new people coming into the world every day...That is over and above the 155,000 per day that die.

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-28-2010 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan
Quote:
The more productive people there are, the better off we all are.
I don't agree, roughly 50% of the global population lives under the poverty line and they aren't poor because they aren't productive.
They simply can't compete with (rich) Western farmers who are state subsidised.

Quote:
We improve per acre yields of plants and the rate of weight gain for animals, which is a good thing as it allows us all to have better food at cheaper prices.
More or cheaper isn't necessarily better.
More people isn't better for the world population simply because they will require even more food which only means that increasing the amount of food will only increase the world population who then will require (read: demand) even more food.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:44 PM

19 posts, read 47,977 times
In response to walter greenspan. I think i understand what your saying somewhat but let me make sure. Selective breeding where you only plant the seeds of the plants which have the charecteristics you like is ok. Cross breeding where you breed say a pitbull with a poodle is not ok. Genetic modification where u introduce dna from a completely different species into another species is not ok. Did i get this right?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.brons View Post
In response to walter greenspan. I think i understand what your saying somewhat but let me make sure. Selective breeding where you only plant the seeds of the plants which have the charecteristics you like is ok.
Yes.

Quote:
Cross breeding where you breed say a pitbull with a poodle is not ok.
No. Same species is OK to breed with one another. Bear in mind, all dogs come from the wolf.

Quote:
Genetic modification where u introduce dna from a completely different species into another species is not ok.
Yes; with the possible exception if this type of genetic modification produces something that saves lives.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:02 AM

In response to sanspuer. Caloric restriction decreases fertility. The fatter you are the more fertile you are. If you caloric restrict you will slow population growth and be able to feed the population which already exists and do so without genetically modified foods. You will also decrease medical costs attributed to obesity. Caloric restriction has also been shown in animals to lower your risk of contracting certain diseases. Where as research has shown certain genetically modified foods contribute to certain diseases in animals(kidney and liver disease from strains of genetically modified corn). There is no need to risk the possiblity of an outbreak caused by genetically modified foods when both the hunger crisis and overpopulation crisis can be dealt with without them.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by c.brons
Quote:
There is no need to risk the possiblity of an outbreak caused by genetically modified foods when both the hunger crisis and overpopulation crisis can be dealt with without them.
The problem with this solution is that we can't get individuals to eat healthy even when their lives depended on it (which is a selfish act).
So trying to make people eat caloric restricted to reduce the world population (which would be an act of selflessness) would be nearly impossible.
Unless you make caloric restricted food really, really, really cheaper than all the other food.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 AM

In response to walter greenspan. Dogs are the result of selectively breeding wolves or other wild dogs not really cross breeding. I believe the scripture is saying not even to cross breed as it says dont breed your cattle with a different kind. You can only breed within the same species as far as i know other than genetic modification. I believe this has to do with the fathers creation being perfect the way it is and for man not to interfere with it. I also believe it has to do with not planting foreign(invasive) plants(Isa 17:10-11) or introducing invasive animals which will disturb the natural ecosystem of that area.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 AM

In response to tricky d. Im sure getting people to caloric restrict would be difficult however this was achieved to some degree during the great depression with food rationing. People supplemented the rations by having gardens. During this time many disease rates dropped because items like sugar were rationed. I am aware it would be difficult to convince people of this idea. it wont be easy but if they consider the risks of the alternative it will be easier to convince them. If americans knew the extent of genetically modified foods they were eating which could be achieved through labeling and they knew the studies showing possible harmful effects it would also be easier to convince them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality