U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
 
609 posts, read 1,782,771 times
Reputation: 420

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
What I am curious to know is how does reincarnaiton account for population growth? I am not trying to be flipant. I have tremendous respect for Buddhism, but are souls allegedly splitting to create more people or have souls been lying dormant?

We are currently on middle-earth. There are souls below us and above us. Based on their karma's they get pushed down to middle earth. If we engage in too many bad karma's we will get push down to "hell" (for lack of a better term). A lot of species on this planet have become extint. They might have reincarnated as humans because they did good karma. The human form of existence is best way to unite with the creator because the mind is adaptable.

The vedic scriptures especially the concise Bhagvat Gita and the exhaustive Srimad Bhagvatam are something that we need to read and digest. To digest them will require us to approach a guru since you and I mere mortals do not know sanskrit. Just some food for thought for your research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
 
609 posts, read 1,782,771 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If we find that we have an interest in the possiblity of reincarnation, then, I don't see the problem of coming back as animals, especially dogs. I think that souls could learn a lot by having to live in a situation governed by humans without being able to change anything.

I think living a few lifetimes, chained up in a yard with little food and water would cause a lot to decide to do better the next time around.

If there is such a thing, I don't think that it would be necessary that the person be aware of past lives. I think you would probably find that a person would be born with some sort of inate desire to be generous, caring, or loving. Why are some children such wonderful little beings and others such hateful brats? Maybe some of them are further along on their journey. Maybe?

Just a few rambling thought while I think about lunch!
Its not just about treating dogs. How about killing em cows and eating your burgers? BTW, the revealed scriptures do mention that a person is reminded of his past 100 lives just as he is coming out of the womb. That is the reason the child cries when it comes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
 
609 posts, read 1,782,771 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why would the one Creator create us so individual in so many ways, and intend that we all conform to one religion?

Goldengrain, very eloquent post. I am one of the ones who came from a christian discipline and can't fathom being around it, or any other christian discipline. Buddhism, Theravada/Vipassana is the perfect fit for me.
The theory is the creator did not wish to create so many souls. We wanted to be away from the creator and thats why we are born as humans. We cannever be eternally happy unless we go back to the creator since that is where we have originated from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,561 posts, read 14,309,335 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by tigerclaws
Quote:
How about killing em cows and eating your burgers?
So a tiger, as a carnivore, is doomed to get bad karma everytime he kills to eat meat?
Isn't mother Nature to be blamed for that and not the tiger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,635 posts, read 23,543,586 times
Reputation: 11248
But I don't believe in a creator.
I don't need to; it makes no difference in how I live my life.
I am, however, a vegetarian, based on buddhist beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM
 
609 posts, read 1,782,771 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by tigerclaws So a tiger, as a carnivore, is doomed to get bad karma everytime he kills to eat meat?
Isn't mother Nature to be blamed for that and not the tiger?
For different animals, there are different ways to get out of the birth, life, old age and disease cycle. Lets take your example of a tiger. Well the soul entered the tiger's body because it accumulated bad karma in the past. Once it pays for its past karma by being reincarnated as an animal a few times (or a few thousand), it will eventually be born as a higher form of life (like a human or a demi-god or whatever) where it will be given brains to think and act in a way that can unite the soul with the creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
 
609 posts, read 1,782,771 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But I don't believe in a creator.
I don't need to; it makes no difference in how I live my life.
I am, however, a vegetarian, based on buddhist beliefs.
The theory of randomness can be dispelled by just thinking about it in the following way. Suppose I were to destroy my Rolex (not that I have a rolex or anything) which is a simple man-made creation by banging it on the floor. Then I take the broken pieces and put them in one of the empty rooms in my house and lock the door. According to the theory of randomness, will the broken pieces should after years or eons be automatically be transformed into my Rolex again?

A lot of people believe that life started randomly and there was no creator.

If the answer to my rolex question is no then how can you assume that a human being that is so complicated in functioning (BTW, the best cameras of today are no where near as close as the human eye in functioning) could be a random creation. Its as simple as this, behind every creation is the concept of a creator. There is unfortunately nothing random. And the more I understand and read the scriptures (not that i read a lot) the more i am led to believe in the concept of the creator.

My 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
 
Location: The world, where will fate take me this time?
3,162 posts, read 10,165,974 times
Reputation: 1423
Why some people are born in loving, caring families while others are born in dysfucntional families or households with nothing but misery?

Why some people are born in first world countries with all the chances to develop themselves in the best way posible while others are born in third world countries that know nothing else but famine, war and disease?

when I ask myself these questions and then I take Karma and Reincarnation into account everything makes much more sense.

Love and Light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,635 posts, read 23,543,586 times
Reputation: 11248
Tigerclaws: Its as simple as this, behind every creation is the concept of a creator. There is unfortunately nothing random. And the more I understand and read the scriptures (not that i read a lot) the more i am led to believe in the concept of the creator.

I disagree with your premise. We're starting from different points.

What does it matter anyway? I put stock in the way that I live my life here and now, not on some nebulous beginning or end that christians believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 7,449,800 times
Reputation: 1022
A person who believes in the reincarnation superstition will believe practically anything. It is a holdover belief from the very ancient belief called animism.

Consider this: There are more persons alive right now than all the persons who have ever lived in the past put together. If that is true (if not literally today then it will be someday pretty soon), what is the origin of the soul found in each of these persons? It simply is a ridiculous idea. And if you believe that the "soul" of a dog can somehow "enter" a human being, then you are might as well leave the earth on a UFO and put the rest of us out of your misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top