Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Since it is boasted so often that the great majority in this country are Christians, it seems that Allen may be more effective to stay in the Christianity forum and plead to his fellow Christians to improve their behavior in order to improve the world'.
Appealing to non-believers indicates he thinks atheists are the ones responsible for all the ills.
I'd say our little percentage isn't the problem
I would have to say you are right. I am constantly told by Christians that they have a majority, so it would come to reason, that those doing these evil thins are Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Why, Allen...how is that any more sick than the anticipatory glee you display when you shrilly and repeatedly tell non-believers how much and how painfully they're going suffer when your god gets around to destroying the world? Your comments are frequently vile and hateful.
Thats all I have gotten from him. Promise of eternal torture and burning. Some loving god they have there.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Allen,

You are correct in that you are incredibly consistent. You are doing what you have always done.

However, what you have always done is incredibly offensive, demeaning, and hostile.

For just a second, think about it from a non-christian point of view. Could be atheist, agnostic, hindu, whatever......

We do not believe in your bible. It holds no more truth than the pages of a Harry Potter novel. Yet you take this same book, judge people for the way they live their lives, and threaten them with horrible punishment. You also say/imply that by not believing in the bible, we are contributing to the decline of civilization, and therefore the horrible punishment (maybe in the afterlife, maybe in this life because of natural disasters, etc) of others.

You may believe this, but can you see how it is nonetheless hostile and offensive to others?
Classic comments, and sadly true as regards allen. I for one get quite hostile and combative when he makes his usual assumptive statements that, well, assume the truth of his personal "wooden icon god". Since such an entity simply cannot and does not realistically exist, and died along with all the once-tribal myths that were born out of pure ignorance, why persist with making those retribution statements, allen? They ain't gonna happen, laddy!

I mean: "What if you're wrong" to quote an old Xtian line of absolute moronity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, how funny. It looks like someone got confused and is equating Mormon and Muslim. It's disgusting, no matter what, but the ignorance is typical and mildly amusing.

"More Mormon terrorists.
We oughta put a boot in their @#$%
Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.
No Mormon Tabernacle at Ground Zero.
No Mormon Tabernacle on Hallowed Ground.
USA, USA, USA...."

And speaking of which, is it me or are self-appointed "Christian spokesman" getting more hostile, aggressive and shrill and not doing their religion any favors, lately?
Answer: Yes, they are! But why? Because they see the guillotine blade is en-route and they're locked in to their beliefs with nowhere to run. It's a v. sad realization, because they long ago abandoned independent thought and critical thinking. They cannot imagine a life without daily (hourly?) communication with their god.

We atheists, oddly, seem to be capable of that without any bad consequences, including that we're always open to new ideas, new discoveries and new realizations. They have to put all of science's "controversial, anti-god" finds and evidence under the bed. How strange, huh, allen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Why, Allen...how is that any more sick than the anticipatory glee you display when you shrilly and repeatedly tell non-believers how much and how painfully they're going suffer when your god gets around to destroying the world? Your comments are frequently vile and hateful.
Yep. Just imagine his mind-state when that mega-meteorite is visible, briefly before impact, and there's literally no Gleaming Golden Ship docking in front of him. That realization may just kill him off all by itself!

Not to mention all that threatened retribution for us evil heathens will simply not happen.... oh the cruel injustice of it all! We got to live freely, out from under a constant fear-based philosophy, our minds always open to interesting new stuff, without any philosophical biases, interpretations or prejudices, able to enjoy what the creative minds of our kind have and are always uncovering, at an ever-accelerating pace, not having to "auto-default" attribute it to a mystical, inexplicable, uncredible and unbelievable god-guy....

But by all means, free speech and all; on with the non-stop preaching, allen. It's nothing if not amusing!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Well, back to the OP - there are bad people in every race, creed, etc. Online - there are no repercussions for anything that you say. Also - I think some people say horrible things online, not because they believe them, but just because they can.
It is a tragedy what happened to this man - but tragic things happen everyday to everyone. What about George Tiller - the abortion doctor that was gunned down in his church. Or Matthew Shepard, the 21 year old gay man in Wyoming that was tortured and killed.
I'm not trying to belittle any of these events - merely showing that hate is found within all groups of people.
I think the answer is not more hate or anger - but love, tolerance, acceptance, and kindness.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I don't think anyone is confused at all.. Mormons ARE terrorists. They made a organized, concerted effort of zealous hatred to strip the civil rights of an entire group of citizens if this country. Forcing your morality onto others is no better than the Taliban.
Mormons are not terrorists. Neither are all Muslims.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People are sick nowadays seriously!! WTH is going on?!! A mormon was just killed in his church and leaves behind wife and kids! Look at the vile and hateful comments below the story!!

Shooting leaves Mormon church official dead

And you wonder why I preach so much!! People are turning pure evil!!!!
People have always been evil. In fact i'd say we are far less barbaric to each other as a whole than in past ages. People are people and always will do people things.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Statistics proves the most the most evil people in this world are the religious. History proves this fact.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Statistics proves the most the most evil people in this world are the religious. History proves this fact.
I'm wondering how you ascertain this. Is there some kind of metric for "most evil" you're using and then add up the points? Could you explain it?

Mao, Pol Pot, and Stalin were not religious in any normal sense. (Religion is not simply "anyone who is not a freethinker", even if some writers might find it easier to define it that way.) Benito Mussolini likely wasn't either. Hitler and Genghiz Khan are sort-of ambiguous. The Tai'Ping Rebellion leader and De Soto were religious.

The Discovery Channel has a program on serial killers called "Most Evil." Some of them are/were religious, and I'm not sure any were atheist, but I think most of them weren't religious judging from what I saw. Granted Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer, was an active Lutheran and Jeff Lundgren ran his own cult. There was also Roch Theriault who was a cult-leader who mutilated several women he deemed "concubines" and obviously Charles Manson. However I don't find much, or anything, on John Wayne Gacey's religion and he was apparently "politically liberal" if such a term has any meaning with a wackjob like him. Dahmer reportedly became "born again" in prison, but I don't know that he had any religion in his time as a cannibal. The Soviet serial-killer Andrei Chikatilo doesn't look to have had any religion. Basically looking through those ranked as "Most Evil" the main religious paths seem to be

Nothing in particular or unclear.
Leader and Founder of a small religious movement.
Active member of a religion.

Although I didn't do a thorough study to tell which is most common. You might look through for yourself.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Really?????????? How many wars were fought because of religion?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Really?????????? How many wars were fought because of religion?
Probably less than the number where land or greed was the prime motivator. Possibly "national pride" is as much of a motivator too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality