Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would I do if I were irreligious and liberal?
Make fun of her until she leaves, or just throw her out 1 4.35%
Gently do all you can to make her realize she's wrong 5 21.74%
Be pleasant, but distant with her 5 21.74%
If she's a good person otherwise I wouldn't care 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

For a version for the irreligious.

You only know because when Prop 8 passed she said "It's a victory for people like me, but I do know your side means well." On evolution you only know because while watching something on dinosaurs she said "The Bible shows the world can't be that old, but eh it's just TV I guess." Otherwise she doesn't talk about her views and does all the things a room-mate should do plus is friendly and tolerant. (She doesn't believe in same-sex marriage, but is never unkind to gays she sees or that you know)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-02-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Dear Thomas! This is an interesting topic. I would have voted in your poll, but it was directed at the irreligious and liberal. I am not liberal, so I didn't vote.

I would not live with a creationist or bible literalist. I would hope to know this about them before living with them.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Well, I have basically had 2 roommates who very nearly fit that description. One of them thought homosexuals were gross but wasn't really religious. The other one was very Christian, didn't believe in same sex marriage, and was a republican.
The first roommate - my college roommate - had grown up not being exposed to - well, anything. She had never met a gay person until she had met my friends and she had never had any kind of ethnic food. She wasn't religious but her mom made it very clear that she thought it was hypocritical of me to celebrate any of the Christian holidays when I was over at their house for Easter. Anyway - the first time homosexuality came up was when there was an article in the school newspaper about gay pride. She made a face and said it was gross. I asked her why she thought it was gross - and she said it's just wrong. Then I told her that some of my friends that she had met were gay. I told her that it wasn't a choice and that they were simply attracted to members of the same sex. She thought about it for awhile and kind of shrugged her shoulders. We didn't talk about it much - but I think the more she was around some of my friends - the more she realized that they were just normal people. I did try to educate her a little bit - since she had never been exposed to anyone that wasn't just like her but I never pushed anything on her. And like I said, these things rarely came up. She was my best friend at college that year and we only drifted apart later because she transferred and I never saw her again. She was a wonderful person with a good heart.
My second roommate was my roommate when I was on tour with a show. All of her friends were gay but she was still against gay marriage. She was very Christian and I believe has become even more so now. She would defend waiting until marriage until having sex but had slept with about twice as many people as I had. She voted for Bush in the election and said that she was voting for who her parents were voting for. She said she was going to vote for him because that's who her parents were voting for but had looked into things a little bit and agreed with them. Well - I'm a hard core democrat, agnostic, gay rights person. We were very close on tour and for the most part got along great. She was old enough to make her own decisions so I didn't find much of a point in discussing things with her. When all of your friends are gay - even your closest friends - I don't see a point in trying to convince you of gay rights. Although - when she found out that one of her family friends was getting divorced - and she told me that I didn't understand how traumatic this was for them since Christians don't get divorced - I did inform her that people of all religions get divorced. It may be frowned upon - but it most definitely happens.
So - I didn't check any of the options - because I was very close with both of my roommates. I wasn't pushy, I tried to educate a little when appropriate, I wasn't distant, but didn't just overlook everything either. I have some friends that feel the complete opposite way that I do on many issues. For the most part - we just don't talk about those issues - or we might make fun of each other for them! You can be a good person and still believe some bad things. They probably say the same thing about me!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
I'd put a bat up her nightdress when she was asleep.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
If I were you, don't think I would hit on her..............

Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Absolutely not! There is no way in hell you would ever find me shacking up with George W. Bush or Sarah Palin! Not in a million years!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I wouldn't worry about it as long as we got along well otherwise. But if she started making certain comments more and more often, then I'd be obliged to do the same.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Absolutely not! There is no way in hell you would ever find me shacking up with George W. Bush or Sarah Palin! Not in a million years!
I wasn't really thinking of this as any kind of romantic or sexual "shacking up" situation. Some people here are women, besides that a man and woman can live together without it being "shacking up."

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I'd put a bat up her nightdress when she was asleep.
Disgusting. I can't believe this is the liberalism and tolerance America wants. This nation will pay. I will not be surprised.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I wasn't really thinking of this as any kind of romantic or sexual "shacking up" situation. Some people here are women, besides that a man and woman can live together without it being "shacking up."
Hmmm... Perhaps it's a difference in colloquialisms as I've always thought of "shacking up" as living in the same place, i.e., roommates.

Of course, I guess I could also see how it could have romantic connotations behind it. Hmmm... I'll have to pay attention to that phrase a little more closely to see how it's utilized in everyday speech...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality