Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times

Advertisements

Strange I find Rifleman as a necessary balance to counter the myth based right wing religions on CD. I, like him, also see greater hope for humanity from science, and do have admiration for the leaders in the fields such as Hawking, Hutchings, and Dawkins. I like the way they are not political correct, nor afraid to speak out about their views. It is a good counter for the endless onslaught of religious brainwashing being crammed down our throats every day.
I also like the way Rifleman uses documentation to backup his statements. I am sure not pleasant for those who base their morality and life on the issues he is taking apart and trashing. It is hard to accept facts so contrary to generations of teachings even when the data is in front of your eyes. I personally agree with Rifleman, and seeing his direct methods as refreshing, and much better than the attempt to make everyone feel good at the cost of truth.

As a foot note, if I find I am offended or just tired of an individuals religious rants on CD I block them, and I would suggest the same for you if they bring such levels of anxiety or discomfort as to bash them personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
What if we are all wrong? What if there isn't God or no God? What if there is a whole other species of entities out there that are all "Gods" and they all created the unviverse together? What if they all run the universe together? That makes just as much sense to me as anything else does.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Strange I find Rifleman as a necessary balance to counter the myth based right wing religions on CD. I, like him, also see greater hope for humanity from science, and do have admiration for the leaders in the fields such as Hawking, Hutchings, and Dawkins. I like the way they are not political correct, nor afraid to speak out about their views. It is a good counter for the endless onslaught of religious brainwashing being crammed down our throats every day.
I also like the way Rifleman uses documentation to backup his statements. I am sure not pleasant for those who base their morality and life on the issues he is taking apart and trashing. It is hard to accept facts so contrary to generations of teachings even when the data is in front of your eyes. I personally agree with Rifleman, and seeing his direct methods as refreshing, and much better than the attempt to make everyone feel good at the cost of truth.

As a foot note, if I find I am offended or just tired of an individuals religious rants on CD I block them, and I would suggest the same for you if they bring such levels of anxiety or discomfort as to bash them personally.
I like rifleman and we have established a relationship (of sorts) . . . he has legitimate gripes and legitimate arguments with the nonsense that can scientifically be refuted. It is his inability (or deliberate obtuseness) about those aspects we have NO scientific basis or support for . . . and his rejection without substitution of my plausible alternative to his "Nature" (No God) position that irritates me. We are cool, right, rifle??

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What if we are all wrong? What if there isn't God or no God? What if there is a whole other species of entities out there that are all "Gods" and they all created the unviverse together? What if they all run the universe together? That makes just as much sense to me as anything else does.
You might find the following idea interestingly like that.

Are we living in a designer universe? - Telegraph

Old 09-05-2010, 07:52 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Creation was godless says Hawking

Oh Wow!!! I have no doubt he is correct.....therefore......Nature and I are on a same footing since I too am godless. (with the possible exception of Me being quite content to be godless and the earth probably does not give a damn if it's godless or not.)

Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You might find the following idea interestingly like that.

Are we living in a designer universe? - Telegraph
Cool article! Thanks!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Stephen Hawking is an extremely annoying man. He's just stirring up trouble between Christians and Atheist to promote his new book. I feel so bad for saying that but a man like that is obviously not working for the good of the people in his heart. This is out of pure contempt and bitterness he wrote it. Here we are in 2010, trying to get along as people of different faiths, and here Hawkings come back with yet another publication determined to prove what once again he cannot disprove. This man is a fool. Not everyone who is intelligent, has wisdom. And unfortunately, even in Hawkings advance age, he has zero.
Here we have a kid calling one on of the greatest minds on the planet a fool, while criticizing him for speaking what he believes. I guess you find anyone that has an opinion that differs from yours 'annoying' and if they support that with facts, reason, logic, evidence, then they reach the rank of "extremely annoying".

He is not a preacher telling lies to make people get a warm and fuzzy feeling about themselves. He is a theoretical physicist and cosmologist, that strives to make scientifically based conclusions and share them with the human race. You will learn in life that there are times to keep your mouth shut and not speak the truth, such as when your wife asks you if these jeans make her butt look fat, but that is as far as it goes.

In a single paragraph you have censured a man for speaking what he believes, then attack him with your opinion. Really........... go update your facebook page or something appropriate for someone your age.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Why is the idea of something arising from nothing impossible?
Well I'm not saying it isn't. Just pointing out the double standards of theists who scoff at and ridicule Hawkins when he says that the Universe was created from 'nothing' (if that is indeed what he did say), claiming that nothing can come from nothing, yet have no problem in accepting that the Universe CAN be created from nothing via their god.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM

430 posts, read 583,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Good to know that you and a select few (who agree with you) are the only ones here who have the key to the Truth!
The way I read it, he only said that we all have our opinions. If evidence supports it, why not consider alternatives? I don't agree wholeheartedly with any one perspective, but I'll at least consider well-presented cases.

And you? Hint: before they set up, I'd suggest you step out of those concrete overshoes.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:04 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Good to know that you and a select few (who agree with you) are the only ones here who have the key to the Truth!
Uhhhm, Yeah

Attached Thumbnails
Creation was godless says Hawking-irony_meter1.jpg   Creation was godless says Hawking-irony_meter.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality