U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM

11,209 posts, read 7,917,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent post, Violet . . . it is sad that so few people recognize this aspect of reality . . . and seem to go through life with only material things for comfort and enjoyment.
Where do you get the idea that only material things give 'us' comfort and joy?
The love of family/friends/loved ones and even ourselves .....provide those things
I doubt that atheists are any blinder to the fact that when one dies, material things don't go with you or that even a 52 inch flat screen can give you a hug when you need one.
There's probably just as many believers that are putting an awful lot of effort into desiring and accumulating ( or trying to ) material things.
Everybody has faults. Sometimes they will be stumbling blocks to ones happiness and contentment.
If one really wants, they can change these things.....all without the help of a god.
Leaving off the fact that it was written as a prayer to God, The Serenity Prayer pretty much says it all.
Throw in some music for drama and you've got all you need.

Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me ound the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all"

Words and Music by Michael Masser and Linda Creed

DO try this yourself at home.No god needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,669,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There's probably just as many believers that are putting an awful lot of effort into desiring and accumulating ( or trying to ) material things.
...and I bet there are just as many believers who (contrary to what their Jesus said) try to get those things back when someone takes them.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM

23,029 posts, read 11,114,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Where do you get the idea that only material things give 'us' comfort and joy?
The love of family/friends/loved ones and even ourselves .....provide those things
I doubt that atheists are any blinder to the fact that when one dies, material things don't go with you or that even a 52 inch flat screen can give you a hug when you need one.
Everybody has faults. Sometimes they will be stumbling blocks to ones happiness and contentment.
If one really wants, they can change these things.....all without the help of a god.
Leaving off the fact that it was written as a prayer to God, The Serenity Prayer pretty much says it all.
Throw in some music for drama and you've got all you need.

Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me ound the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all"

Words and Music by Michael Masser and Linda Creed

DO try this yourself at home.No god needed.
Ah . . . old_cold . . . you fail to comprehend that what we consider ephemeral and "merely of the mind" is just another aspect of reality and is not fleeting . . .but part of "becoming." God is love . . . if you experience real agape love . . . you experience God . . . not the hormone oxytocin.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 PM

10,040 posts, read 6,638,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Good one... and how do you say in your words: Forget the book, just go to God yourself?
a-dv-dv-hv-s-ga hi-a U-sgo-hu-la.
(Ask the Creator)

Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 972,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
a-dv-dv-hv-s-ga hi-a U-sgo-hu-la.
(Ask the Creator)
Awesome. Thank you so much.

What language is this and is it the correct spelling? I would love to post this on my website (that's currently under construction)... with your permission.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM

10,040 posts, read 6,638,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Awesome. Thank you so much.

What language is this and is it the correct spelling? I would love to post this on my website (that's currently under construction)... with your permission.
It's Tsalagi (Cherokee) and yes the spelling is correct... and yes you can use it, it does not belong to just me, it's the native language of my people.

Last edited by ptsum; 09-12-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 03:46 PM

359 posts, read 709,101 times
Earth is a sort of penal colony -- and the Devil is our warden.
He has a role to fill to that extent and that's why God let's him hang
around and cause all the trouble he does.
Think of it this way.
When you commit a serious enough crime in society you go to prison for a certain length of time.
Likewise, if you commit a serious enough crime in heaven you come here -- to earth -- for a
certain length of time.
The length of your time here, as well as trials and hardships and tragedies you face, are directly proportional to the seriousness of your crimes on high.
If there is a God then this is the only analogy that makes any sense.
While this may sound negative it would explain a good many things.
Like why God allows the attrocities of the world to take place as they do.
And why some are born with a silver spoon in their mouths while others are
born blind in some third world country.
We have it coming!!
And earth life is our punishment!!
If not then everything we go thru in life is just a roll of the dice...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:48 PM

1,395 posts, read 972,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It's Tsalagi (Cherokee) and yes the spelling is correct... and yes you can use it, it does not belong to just me, it the native language of my people.
Well, thank you so much. I know this is totally off topic and I hope the OP will forgive me, but I am also of Cherokee heritage... a few generations back.

Blessings.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM

146 posts, read 254,400 times
If there was a god, why hasn't he shown himself in the billions of years the earth has been around?

Plus, how can something that doesn't exist show itself exactly?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,669,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
Plus, how can something that doesn't exist show itself exactly?
Well that's a positive statement pal. Over to you with the 'Burden of Proof'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality