Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:16 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times

Advertisements

How 'bout another "just for fun" thread? I'd kinda like to know what my "online family" does on Sundays? If you are a believer and you go to church or place of worship-- What's it like? What is your service like? What else do you do on Sunday?
And if you are one of our resident atheists/agnostics or otherwise and don't attend, what do you do while you're waiting for the rest of us to get back from church to argue with?? No, seriously, what does Sunday look like for you?

Even though I'm far from a morning person, I go to the first service at church. I attend a charismatic, non-denominational church of about 600 or 700 people. We worship for a long time-usually about 45 minutes or an hour! Contemporary music with a band (keyboard, guitars, bass guitar, drums, and my husband on the viola) Then we have about a 20-25 sermon. Sometimes before that we have a "time of ministry" in which people can go down front and pray with the elders and other leaders one on one if they want someone to pray with them about something. That's church for me pretty much unless God seems to direct the pastor to go another direction.

Then my husband stays and plays his viola during music in the next service. After which we meet at a restaurant and have lunch with friends.

And after lunch, I take a nap! That's a given!

So what do YOU do on Sundays? Believer or atheist ... I'd like to know!

Last edited by kaykay; 06-28-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Oh kaykay, I think I'd like your church better than I did mine! Back when I went it lasted nearly 3 hours! I thought I was going to die every Sunday before I got out. I was traditional Free-Will Baptist.

My Sunday consists of getting up around 10 and doing whatever the day requires! Most of my family goes to various services so sometimes I eat with them afterwards. Bedtime is around 8 as I have to get up at 2:30 Monday morning for work!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Typical Sunday, I start every morning (not just Sunday) by reading the Bible, and watch TBN for a little bit while I'm drinking coffee and eating breakfast, then go to Church from 9:00 until 11:00. I go to Phoenix First Assembly of God, which is one of the mega churches here in Phoenix, and I enjoy Pastor Tommy Barnett's preaching of the Gospel because he puts a lot of humor in his messages.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
kaykay wrote:
Quote:
And if you are one of our resident atheists/agnostics or otherwise and don't attend, what do you do while you're waiting for the rest of us to get back from church to argue with??
I can only speak for myself but I sit here like a sack of potatoes waiting for the religious people to get home and on their computers so we can get a good argument going.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,307 times
Wake up around 8.

Check CD. Only MG is here, and since we agree mostly, I sigh a sad sigh of quiet desparation.

Make breakfast. Could be blueberry pancakes. Maybe scones. Hot tea.

Check CD. Still just MG. Maybe plad if he is feeling a touch of insomnia due to the time zones. No good arguing there.

Read the newspaper.

Back to CD. Resurrect a dead thread in the hopes that somebody will bite.

Vacuum.

Eat lunch.

Head into the city and do something. Last week I went to Coney Island, not sure about this weekend. Try and fit a run in somewhere.

Make dinner, eat and talk with my wife. Maybe hang with some friends.

Check CD. See that all the interesting threads now have 60posts, realize that I will never catch up. Say good night to MG and go to bed in a funk.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I get up about 5:45, my husband gets up when I tell him we're going to be late Our Sunday School starts at 8:30, we have wonderful teacher. The service starts at 9:30, very traditional, our paster is great, very down to earth guy, funny and most important a man of God who preaches from the Bible and Jesus is the center of what our church stands for. We're usually back home by 11:00, eat lunch, go to Kroger, maybe do some stuff around the house, and of course I'm on city-data sometime during the day

Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Well with two little ones I'm usually up by 730 at the latest. I like to try to get some reading in, whether it be my scriptures, a church magazine or our lesson that Sunday. Our church schedule changes each year from 9-12 to 1-4 Unfortunately right now we're on the 1-4 which is awful with the kids. We have three meetings. The first is one is one for brother, one for sisters, one for youth, one for children to put it simply. The second is Sunday School and I don't get to be with my husband for this one either because he teaches a youth class. During these two my son is off in nursery so I only have the one to deal with which isn't bad. Last meeting is Sacrament where we usually have two or three talks from members of the congregation or our church leaders and ofcourse partake of the sacrament. Oftentimes my husband goes before church to give the sacrament to those who are homebound and can't get out. After we come home and quick dinner, usually a walk and the ever so fun bed time routine.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:32 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Usually, I do Bible study, go to church some Sundays, and spend time with my family.

This Sunday, I will be worshipping at Georgetown College in Ky. I do belive this will be an experience.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
My Sundays aren't looking the greatest. We just left the place were going and left very bothered by it all. We are going to try a Methodist Church in town, we were invited and heard the particular church here is really a great outreach to the community. It feels bad when you don't have a place to call your home church. I hope we can change this soon and find a place to belong.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
Get up at 7:00am, go to church and play the 8:30 worship service, come home and get wife and go back for 11:30 service, go to mother-in-laws for pizza, nap for awhile, go home, call my mom in California, check e-mail, CD etc., watch news and then go to bed. Somewhere in there I have to have my coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality