Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:10 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the posts and thinking of 9/11. I drove into DC today. I remember where I was that day and how scared I was once the Pentagon had been hit and another one was in the air. For a long time I felt like I couldn't go into the city because I was afraid.

I will never forget but I will not let that turn into hatred of a whole group of people. I understand that all muslims did not carry out the act. I understand as a Jew what it is like to be blamed just because I am a Jew. I carry in my history that many Jews have been killed because they were the wrong religion, or race, and in that it culminated with 6 million of us being killed.

There have been other genocides in history, Darfur, Chechnyia, the Armenian genocide probably more I can't think of at the moment. The point when humans hate enough they are capable of horrific evil.

I work hard to not let my fears turn into hatred of a whole people. Now its called Islamophobia and this is not much different then anti semitism. We should all take a look at how we feel and make sure we don't forget, but we don't want to become islamophobic because when we blame a whole group of folks we come close to that and may in fact take away their humanity and once that happens we are capable of anything.

The more I read the ugly hatred thoughts I have to work hard not to be afraid so we should balance what we read with what is reality and not become filled with hate.

We should never forget but we need to always be balanced.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 09-11-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Nine years ago, far too many innocent people.....

Posted in memory of Barry.

--One of the many innocent people...

~June misses you still, and continues to hold you in her heart.

Always.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My thoughts about 9/11 focus on the 343 firefighters and 62 law enforcement officers that ran toward the towers, making the ultimate sacrifice, while everyone that could ran from the towers. As you drive by a fire station today, in any city or rural community recognize that it is staffed by people made out of the same stuff, and if NYC had been their duty station would have also gone into the towers.

Every firefighter, paid or volunteer but all professional, in the country, and probably the world took an extra personal punch in the gut that day, I know I did, I'm one of that brotherhood, knowing damn well, that is what we do, and we too would have also gone in.
Ash Nat...know that all who do that kind of work...and demonstrate that kind of bravery, service, and sacrifice---has the utmost respect, appreciation, and when unfortunately necessary-sympathy, from each and every citizen that is backed up, protected, and defended by those courageous efforts.

We also must remember, no matter what side one is on...that type of work is the same. Similar efforts have been put forth for those in places where others have been attacked and/or bombed. ALL people bleed, and hurt, and suffer, and die, the same way.

Man's inhumanity to man seems to know no bounds.

We need love, peace, tolerance, care, and concern...not hate and violence.

Will we EVER learn? Maybe someday...I sure hope so.

In the meantime...ThankYou for all that is done to protect and serve.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
well I lost a brother and a cousin that horrible day and I think this country should remember and I think we should make sept 11 th a national holiday as we lost alot of innocent souls and God was pretty busy that day . I will not forget and I can forgive but still remember . My father still has nightmares over that since he lost his baby boy and his brother lost his son . So for someone to tell us to get over it is a tad bit tacky if you ask me . No we will never forget but we can forgive .

Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
We will never forget...America Can Survive:

YouTube - America Will Survive (Studio Version)

Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No, we shouldn't forget, but we sure as hell should move on. The insistence of so many to keep dwelling on this is foolish. Get over it. Unless you had a family member or friend killed there, it's time to just get over it and move on.
I could not disagree more...

Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I could not disagree more...
This is not the thread for your to profess your hatred.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have been reading the posts and thinking of 9/11. I drove into DC today. I remember where I was that day and how scared I was once the Pentagon had been hit and another one was in the air. For a long time I felt like I couldn't go into the city because I was afraid.
I will never forget but I will not let that turn into hatred of a whole group of people. I understand that all muslims did not carry out the act. I understand as a Jew what it is like to be blamed just because I am a Jew. I carry in my history that many Jews have been killed because they were the wrong religion, or race, and in that it culminated with 6 million of us being killed.

There have been other genocides in history, Darfur, Chechnyia, the Armenian genocide probably more I can't think of at the moment. The point when humans hate enough they are capable of horrific evil.

I work hard to not let my fears turn into hatred of a whole people. Now its called Islamophobia and this is not much different then anti semitism. We should all take a look at how we feel and make sure we don't forget, but we don't want to become islamophobic because when we blame a whole group of folks we come close to that and may in fact take away their humanity and once that happens we are capable of anything.

The more I read the ugly hatred thoughts I have to work hard not to be afraid so we should balance what we read with what is reality and not become filled with hate.

We should never forget but we need to always be balanced.
Moderator cut: deleted

Actually, Israel is the epicentre of the bone of contention that drives these terrorist punks to even drive planes into buildings with innocents.

Back in the day, I heard someone say that if the US ever did the reverse process of arming Palestinians, there will be world peace in seconds. The twin towers, the innocent people and the firefighters would have lived.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-12-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

Actually, Israel is the epicentre of the bone of contention that drives these terrorist punks to even drive planes into buildings with innocents.

Back in the day, I heard someone say that if the US ever did the reverse process of arming Palestinians, there will be world peace in seconds. The twin towers, the innocent people and the firefighters would have lived.

You missed the point of my post and I also spoke of other genocides....

Last edited by june 7th; 09-12-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I appreciate what you and your brother (and sister) first responders do, Asheville . . . and as long as I breathe . . . I will not forget what your colleagues did on that day. I certainly will NOT "get over it!"
i certainly will not get over it either and I think some ppl have alot of nerve asking us to get over it !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality