U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM

6,111 posts, read 2,343,788 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I informed both the JW and Mormons not to come to my door. In that time only once has any religious folks come to the door except once. Two JW came once and I told them I was one a do not disturb list. The stated they wrre new to this area, apologized and told me that they would ensure that I was still on that list.

If I am working in the front yard the Mormons will walk by my yard and say hello. I might ask them were they are from and we might sometimes discuss how they like it up here and if they have been here in the winters. The JW man stands are one end of the pedestrian underpasr, may say hello otherwise stand next to their magazine stand and wait to be approached.

Not sure why others feel hassled. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 12:21 PM

19,965 posts, read 20,069,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Depends on where you live. In countries like the US local municipalities may require a license if you are selling something. In other words, solicitation is defined by law. Those laws dont include religion. Sometimes living in a free society requires people to put up with beliefs they don't agree with. It's what allows atheists to put up billboards selling their non belief. Same as when "religions" share their beliefs with others.
In my community there are "No solicitation signs up"
When one of the JW's that were coming here, knocked on my door and protested that they weren't "selling" anything, I objected and said, yes, they were , even though there might not be a explicit financial cost, there was a potential 'cost' of one's existing beliefs.
Anyway, they can no longer come in here.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 PM

23,106 posts, read 10,616,757 times
Quote:
Depends on where you live. In countries like the US local municipalities may require a license if you are selling something. In other words, solicitation is defined by law. Those laws dont include religion. Sometimes living in a free society requires people to put up with beliefs they don't agree with. It's what allows atheists to put up billboards selling their non belief. Same as when "religions" share their beliefs with others.
You don't think trespassing is a little different than a billboard?

Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 PM

26,111 posts, read 13,584,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Robots, remember?

Like the Blues Brothers -- they're on a mission from god!

(In their version, "god" is seven wizened old men in NYC with yellow fingernails and hideously-deformed toenails who keep predicting wrong things.)

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM

1,001 posts, read 641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In my community there are "No solicitation signs up"
When one of the JW's that were coming here, knocked on my door and protested that they weren't "selling" anything, I objected and said, yes, they were , even though there might not be a explicit financial cost, there was a potential 'cost' of one's existing beliefs.
Anyway, they can no longer come in here.
If the whole community is in agreement I can see JWs staying away.

My personal experience is that there are some who are vehemently opposed. The majority don't care one way or the other and some who do appreciate the visit.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 PM

56,732 posts, read 55,094,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I came to start such a thread today, but a search turned this one up.

I have a "No Soliciting" sign up on my door and since it has been posted I have had only one door knocker bother me - religious or otherwise. It was a different story before the sign.

The neighborhood I live in also has "No Soliciting" signs at all entrances - easy to see. Yet I see religious people walking the neighborhood and knocking on doors often - including today.

So, that tells me that they chose to actively ignore signage telling them (yes, they know this means them too) they are not wanted or welcome.
I noted your location. I find this interesting, because that sort of thing is not at all common where I live. For a time when I first began to post on this forum, I took such stories with a grain of salt. They seemed to be an exaggeration, but apparently not.

I'm glad the signs are being respected. That is progress.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I noted your location. I find this interesting, because that sort of thing is not at all common where I live. For a time when I first began to post on this forum, I took such stories with a grain of salt. They seemed to be an exaggeration, but apparently not.

I'm glad the signs are being respected. That is progress.
Where I lived in Colorado Springs, it happened more when I first moved in ten years ago, but over the years got less and less to almost never, and I think it was because some residents actually began confronting them.

The only problem with that is that I guess there could be people who would actually like such visits and interactions.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 PM

6,111 posts, read 2,343,788 times
Quote:
Putting up with reading others beliefs is far different from someone unwanted coming to your door to try to convince you of their belief. Like I said the JW and Mormons in my city respect my wishes. If they d8dnt I would put up a sign lie some houses have

No peddlers or Bible pushers.

A free society means I am not forced to have to be disturbed in my own house by somebody wishing to push their beliefs upon me and if they aren't doing that than why come and ring my doorbell.

The church on the next block as some awful notices on their sign and sometimes drop a leaflet on my mailbox. I don't complain about either but I don't want to be disturbed every week by someone selling me a terrible product. My MIL was a JW and I have read enough Watchtower and zAwake mags to know what I think about their ideas. I see many times m9re signs and billboards advocating religion than non religion. They are on private property or in public spaces not on my private property.

It also seems like religious folks, groups and Fox News have fits about atheists billboards. Perhaps they should read your post.

All religious organizations that go door to door should be required to have a do not knock list that one can phone to put their name on the list and f9r them to honour. It works here and if they think that they can disturb you to sell their religion at your own door they should be willing to let you have a blanket decline. That would be mutual respect.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:47 PM

1,001 posts, read 641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Trespass is different than a billboard

The OP is asking if no soliciting should apply to religion.

The reason state and municipalities, at least in the USA, are reticent to apply solicitation to religious groups is based on cases that have gone to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has ruled that protection of free speech is paramount despite the annoyance some experience.

Should freedom of speech be restricted because a group or groups are annoying? Billboards that indicate belief in a deity is ignorance and thus believers are ignoramuses and non belief is enlightenment would prove annoying to some wouldn't they?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Trespass is different than a billboard

The OP is asking if no soliciting should apply to religion.

The reason state and municipalities, at least in the USA, are reticent to apply solicitation to religious groups is based on cases that have gone to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court has ruled that protection of free speech is paramount despite the annoyance some experience.

Should freedom of speech be restricted because a group or groups are annoying? Billboards that indicate belief in a deity is ignorance and thus believers are ignoramuses and non belief is enlightenment would prove annoying to some wouldn't they?
I'm sorry it went over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or