U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM

9,976 posts, read 3,824,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
If a apartment comples or community has 'no soliciting' signs posted, shouldn't religions abide by these rules as well?
Actually, nobody abides by this rule, that's why it's pointless to put up a sign. We've tried that and everyone coming to our door thinks they aren't selling something or that we'll make an exception for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 PM

1,001 posts, read 641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Freedom of speech is one thing. Freedom of speech when you are on my property is something different.
Which is why you have the right to say go take a long walk off a short pier.

It's ok though. Jesus and his disciples were also told the same thing at times.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 PM

541 posts, read 603,006 times
I just answer the door naked.

Not really, but if we weren’t generally such prudes, that’s what I’d do.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

1,001 posts, read 641,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You have mentioned the Supreme Court several times. What case was it?

I know politicians, people campaigning for politicians, and people with political petitions can come to your door from sun up to sun down.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...al-2807634.php

One thing with Witnesses you can request not to have us visit you and we will respect that.

There's really is no need to get bent out of shape, drop your pants, throw water at our face, spit, slam the door, yell obscenities, shoot at us, etc. Not saying you do that but just an FYI. But even if people do that Jesus said each time you go to house wish it peace. Even if you aren't received peacefully let your peace not leave you. Good advice.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

23,106 posts, read 10,616,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

One thing with Witnesses you can request not to have us visit you and we will respect that.

There's really is no need to get bent out of shape, drop your pants, throw water at our face, spit, slam the door, yell obscenities, shoot at us, etc. Not saying you do that but just an FYI. But even if people do that Jesus said each time you go to house wish it peace. Even if you aren't received peacefully let your peace not leave you. Good advice.
But that really isn't true. Where I once lived we could count on JWs knocking on our door multiple times a year, and they didn't cease and desist even when asked to.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

9,058 posts, read 5,221,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that really isn't true. Where I once lived we could count on JWs knocking on our door multiple times a year, and they didn't cease and desist even when asked to.
This has been my experience as well. What does work is informing them that you have been disfellowshipped. They will leave you alone after that.

Old Today, 04:18 AM

39,745 posts, read 11,107,726 times
Quote:
Which is why you have the right to say go take a long walk off a short pier.

It's ok though. Jesus and his disciples were also told the same thing at times.
Which, from someone who accepts a dinner invitation and then, after presumably taking advantage of the hospitality, viciously abuses them (Luke 11.37). I'd tell them to take a hike, as well. especially if their message was 'stupid is good' (Luke 10.21).

Quote:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...al-2807634.php

Really? You can ask to be taken off the mailing list? I never knew that. I usually find that a 20 minute chat with one follow-up (perhaps with one of their bigger guns coming along with the handbook of answers to all questions) and i get 'disfellowshipped' from the mailing list, until one of them turns up maybe a year or so later.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; Today at 04:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or