Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
If a apartment comples or community has 'no soliciting' signs posted, shouldn't religions abide by these rules as well?

They're selling something, their religion.
Not according to the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael500 View Post
Have any apartment communities put up a sign specifically banning promotion, proselytizing or canvassing by representatives of a religious denomination, after residents petitioned the management to do so?

Have any cities or counties made apartment-community "No Soliciting" signs be interpreted as including religious promoters or proselytizers, due to petitioning by citizens?

Michael500
To be legally valid every person in the Apt complex must sign an agreement that say they want such a sign. I know of no complex that has ever done so, but I am sure some may have. Legally the path to a door is open to the public in such a complex regardless of what a neighbor may want.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
To be legally valid every person in the Apt complex must sign an agreement that say they want such a sign. I know of no complex that has ever done so, but I am sure some may have. Legally the path to a door is open to the public in such a complex regardless of what a neighbor may want.
Doesn't sound too practical. The turnover in an apartment complex of any size guarantees that you'd have to do a constant sell job to keep it unanimous. Sooner or later someone will say no just to be contrary -- or maybe because they're a JW or fundamentalist who approves of door-to-door proselytization.

It seems that a sign on your own door can't be a problem. If I were canvassing I'd want to save the time and unpleasantness of being turned down in person.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:08 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
I have two of those, one on the fence coming up to the door and one on the doorjam.

I think it just motivates them to irritate me more..like I'm some sort of challenge.
I've found that my mezuzah does a fairly good job.
Maybe they think that having to convince us of Jesus before they can even begin to pitch their brand of Christianity is just too much work.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't mind a good debate but there is a time & place for it. Which is why I like coming on here from time to time. I do miss at times them coming to the house but we live so far off the road that they can't see the house.
Would you consider trading houses?

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Tupperware is also cheaper - five bucks and you are done. Some churches want 10% of your salary - like a 401k plan to ensure your eventual happy "retirement" will be in heaven.
Hey, entertainment doesn't come for free!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
I came to start such a thread today, but a search turned this one up.

I have a "No Soliciting" sign up on my door and since it has been posted I have had only one door knocker bother me - religious or otherwise. It was a different story before the sign.

The neighborhood I live in also has "No Soliciting" signs at all entrances - easy to see. Yet I see religious people walking the neighborhood and knocking on doors often - including today.

So, that tells me that they chose to actively ignore signage telling them (yes, they know this means them too) they are not wanted or welcome.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The problem is that their religion tells them to bother other people. But I rathe enjoy debating the Mormon kids.
I'm from Palmyra, NY originally...the birthplace of Mormonism. So I actually enjoy chatting with the Mormon boys. I go on and on about Hill Cumorah and the Joseph Smith Farm, as well as other local Mormon landmarks, and they get all enthusiastic. And then I -- politely -- tell them what I think of their religion, and they are so crestfallen. And I start preaching Theravada Buddhism (something I otherwise don't do), and they finally get the message. It's great fun.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I came to start such a thread today, but a search turned this one up.

I have a "No Soliciting" sign up on my door and since it has been posted I have had only one door knocker bother me - religious or otherwise. It was a different story before the sign.

The neighborhood I live in also has "No Soliciting" signs at all entrances - easy to see. Yet I see religious people walking the neighborhood and knocking on doors often - including today.

So, that tells me that they chose to actively ignore signage telling them (yes, they know this means them too) they are not wanted or welcome.
They are robots. They have no minds of their own. They have been programmed by the evil Watchtower clowns that nothing "of this earth" matters. Their mission is to annoy people for Jesus and no mere sign is gonna stop them.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
If a apartment comples or community has 'no soliciting' signs posted, shouldn't religions abide by these rules as well?

They're selling something, their religion.
Depends on where you live. In countries like the US local municipalities may require a license if you are selling something. In other words, solicitation is defined by law. Those laws dont include religion. Sometimes living in a free society requires people to put up with beliefs they don't agree with. It's what allows atheists to put up billboards selling their non belief. Same as when "religions" share their beliefs with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality