U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:44 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,410,004 times
Default Religious Choices

I have a serious dilemma. I have a friend who is passionately trying to persuade me to convert to her religion. I do not believe her religion is soundly rooted and grounded in the Truth. Therefore my conversion is highly unlikely. We have discussed this matter at length, but she refuses to give up. The issue of my beliefs has become important to her because she believes God has given her this mission. I do not argue about the Bible or religious beliefs. I know we disagree. A sharp debate is pointless. We all have free choice- that is the way God designed it. Salvation is available to all but not forced upon anyone. I am very careful not to be offensive or disrespectful. I just pray for God to bring her into the Truth of HIS WORD. She does not afford me the same consideration. I reject her religion, but not her. I get the impression when she accepts the fact I cannot be converted she is not going to believe she should continue to be my friends with me. Now how can I preserve our friendship, and and keep my own faith? Do I have a responsibility to to point out from a Biblical perspective the error of her religion? My feeling is I would rather not. Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM

646 posts, read 1,087,849 times
No. You should feel free to cut her off for being an annoying person though.

This is what I do with evangelical proselytizing, can't-take-no-for-an-answer christians in my life, you should have the same freedom in yours.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:53 AM

2,796 posts, read 6,644,021 times
Sun Queen, you need to follow your HEART on this! If she cannot still be your friend when she figures out that you will not convert to her religion, then I'm afraid that she wasn't much of a friend to begin with . Although the Bible says we should be with other like minded people and not be unequally yoked in our relationships, I really do not feel that that means that two Christians (from different faiths) should turn their back on another because the other cannot be persuaded! True friends lay down their lives for one another...not turn their back because they do not get their way .
Only YOU know the WHOLE situation and it is up to YOU to PRAY about this and let the Lord lead you in the choices to make AND how to save your friendship if it is HIS WILL!
This is quite a dilemma for you, and quite honestly, I think it is quite unfair of her to have put you in the predicament to begin with
Good luck to you!

Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 AM

2,136 posts, read 3,029,013 times
I think that you should be honest about your feelings. Tell her the things that you have told us. Let her know that you value her friendship. Be straightforward with her and ask her if your differing faiths will cause a problem. I think that I would discuss that, before I even consider discussing the diffence in your religious beliefs.

Good luck. Really good friends are hard to find. And if she truly is your friend, this should not be an issue.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM

1,958 posts, read 3,371,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have a serious dilemma. I have a friend who is passionately trying to persuade me to convert to her religion. I do not believe her religion is soundly rooted and grounded in the Truth. Therefore my conversion is highly unlikely. We have discussed this matter at length, but she refuses to give up. The issue of my beliefs has become important to her because she believes God has given her this mission. I do not argue about the Bible or religious beliefs. I know we disagree. A sharp debate is pointless. We all have free choice- that is the way God designed it. Salvation is available to all but not forced upon anyone. I am very careful not to be offensive or disrespectful. I just pray for God to bring her into the Truth of HIS WORD. She does not afford me the same consideration. I reject her religion, but not her. I get the impression when she accepts the fact I cannot be converted she is not going to believe she should continue to be my friends with me. Now how can I preserve our friendship, and and keep my own faith? Do I have a responsibility to to point out from a Biblical perspective the error of her religion? My feeling is I would rather not. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

I take it your not a Christian? If it's Christianity she wants you to convert to DO IT! You will find no other TRUTH. If it's not, then forget it.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:27 PM

11,019 posts, read 9,227,704 times
Ask her if her chuch has some sort of quota system? Tell her she will be one convert short this month. Oh to be a fly on a Bible, I wonder what the pastor telling his flock?

Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM

401 posts, read 451,939 times
Quote:
We all have free choice- that is the way God designed it.
I can only tell you what I do. When I witness to people I basiccaly throw a little piece of bait in the water to see if they are interested in a discussion about religion. If they take the bait I keep on talking if they don't I make it short and sweet and shut up.

If however they are shoving thier beliefs on me, I keep talking as long as they keep talking I just try to make my points the nicest most well thought out way possible. If at some point the conversation sounds more like a war then a conversation between friends I stop the conversation.

As Christians we are suppossed to be fishers of men. So we are supposed to try, but we can't force the fish to bite, and at some point when it's clear the fish are not biting we pack up our stuff and go home.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,382,515 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is passionately trying to persuade me to convert to her religion...I just pray for God to bring her into the Truth of HIS WORD...I get the impression when she accepts the fact I cannot be converted she is not going to believe she should continue to be my friends with me.
There are two competing religious philosophies at work here, and I canít envision either of you will acquiesce to the otherís point of view. You simply need to tell your friend you are not interested. Next, I understand your desire to maintain the friendship, but I wonder whether you have actually evaluated the value of the friendship and what itís costing you emotionally. A friendship predicated on whether you accept her religious perspective is not a friendship in my estimation. When diplomacy fails, some issues must be handled in a straight forward manner, regardless of the cost.

Praying for help is not a bad idea, but I suggest you are praying for divine intervention. In other words, you are hoping God will do what you can do for yourself. Rather than asking God to take action, formulate some concrete options for handling the problem and then present those options before God and see if He has a preference. I would submit that he will either prompt you to use a certain plan, or you wonít feel the spirit about any of the options, which would indicate to me He has no preference and you are fee to use any one of them.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:01 PM

2,796 posts, read 6,644,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
There are two competing religious philosophies at work here, and I canít envision either of you will acquiesce to the otherís point of view. You simply need to tell your friend you are not interested. Next, I understand your desire to maintain the friendship, but I wonder whether you have actually evaluated the value of the friendship and what itís costing you emotionally. A friendship predicated on whether you accept her religious perspective is not a friendship in my estimation. When diplomacy fails, some issues must be handled in a straight forward manner, regardless of the cost.

Praying for help is not a bad idea, but I suggest you are praying for divine intervention. In other words, you are hoping God will do what you can do for yourself. Rather than asking God to take action, formulate some concrete options for handling the problem and then present those options before God and see if He has a preference. I would submit that he will either prompt you to use a certain plan, or you wonít feel the spirit about any of the options, which would indicate to me He has no preference and you are fee to use any one of them.
Tried to rep you, but you know the drill

Old 06-30-2007, 10:01 PM

743 posts, read 1,515,779 times
Sun Queen....I know it IS possible to maintain a friendship w/ people who hold very different religious/spiritual viewpoints. It's a matter of mutual respect. If you share an unconditional friendship, that's what it should be...unconditional...no strings attached.

Mother Theresa's words come to mind: "Always preach the gospel. If necessary use words."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality