Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM

267 posts, read 533,551 times

Advertisements

Is it a common christian belief that the works of Ghandi weren't 'good' because they weren't done with christ? That generous well intentioned works mean nothing because the doer didn't happen to be christian?

I'm sorry, but I find that arrogant coming from a preacher who's life works will probably never equal what Ghandi and other non-christians have accomplished for the world, but I held my tongue then for the sake of the friend who'd brought me to hear the sermon.

But, I just have to know. Surely, you don't think like him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
Is it a common christian belief that the works of Ghandi weren't 'good' because they weren't done with christ? That generous well intentioned works mean nothing because the doer didn't happen to be christian?

I'm sorry, but I find that arrogant coming from a preacher who's life works will probably never equal what Ghandi and other non-christians have accomplished for the world, but I held my tongue then for the sake of the friend who'd brought me to hear the sermon.

I think the common perception is that Ghandi was "good", but that our works with out faith in Christ mean very little. So basically, Ghandi was miguided, and oh how sad that all that goodness amounted to nothing, as far as eternity goes.

I think God sees someone's heart. How many Christians have done half as much for their fellow man as Ghandi? I'm a Christian, and I definately don't agree with your friend.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:21 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
It's more like this: anything "good" or "bad" that we do has no affect on our entrance into heaven. In other words, we cannot work our way in. Nor could we ever do anything so bad that we could not be forgiven. The only way in is through Christ. Accepting His sacrifice on the cross, saving us from the consequences of our sin, and bringing us into heaven eternally.

When people do "good" that is good, but it will not save them from their sins.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
It's more like this: anything "good" or "bad" that we do has no affect on our entrance into heaven. In other words, we cannot work our way in. Nor could we ever do anything so bad that we could not be forgiven. The only way in is through Christ. Accepting His sacrifice on the cross, saving us from the consequences of our sin, and bringing us into heaven eternally.

When people do "good" that is good, but it will not save them from their sins.
I agree with you 100%

Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
If you have accepted Christ and do good, because you want to go to heaven, then, my friend, I am worried about you...IMO, you WILL do good, because when you accepted Christ, you became a new person Lets hope that since we are a good person that we will draw others to us, and eventually to Christ, and be not thinking that the good stuff we did today and what we can think to do tomorrow is another step to heaven

Old 06-30-2007, 08:40 PM

52 posts, read 147,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post

What does the Bible say about our own righteousness or goodness as human beings:

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away

Old 06-30-2007, 09:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
The OP asked if the works of Ghandi weren't 'good' because they weren't done with christ? That generous well intentioned works mean nothing because the doer didn't happen to be christian? What do you think specifically regarding this question?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I know the church I was raised in, Seventh day Adventists didn't think anything of Ghandi, in fact anybody that wasn't an Adventist wouldn't have gotten any notice. I remember when I was young and learned about Ghandi, I started asking about him and was hushed up.

They tend to pull away from outsiders and congregate together. We were not encourage to work, live or befriend people who were not believers and downright told it was not acceptable to marry outside the faith.

I believe this is how the church brainwashed people, they attempted to control all the input a person got.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,888 times
Words of Pope John Paul II kneeling and praying at the tomb of Gandhi
in New Dehli in 1986:

"Today as a pilgrim of peace, I have come here to pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi, hero of humanity."

Quote from Pope John Paull II On Mahatma Ghandi, during a visit to India in 1986:

"He was never a Christian and he never pretended to be a Christian, but I learned a lot from him."

Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 PM

668 posts, read 681,879 times
Ghandi, raised a Hindu (although many tryed to convert him), to me was a holy man in one of his last lifetimes, and will soon attain Nirvana with the other holy people who have unrelentively sought the truth. Dogma is often a barrier to what actually is true.

Just my two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality