Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,164 times

Advertisements

I agree whole-heartedly that the McCarthyite "under god" thing that was forced in during the 50s should be removed and the pledge restored to its original form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
You know what amuses me is the number of American's who I've heard say that E Pluribus Unum means "In God We Trust."

Actually, it's not all that amusing, but rather sad and telling.
Probably lapsed catholics thinking it was some variant of "Dominus Vobiscum"

Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Hahaha! Good one, Mystic!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Oh Nep you harmless little bunny you. We miss you on the CT forum.

Which "creator" did you think they were referencing? Do you not think the "creator" is God?

What about Washington when he said this in his farewell address to the nation:
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
Being a self admitted homosexual, I can understand why the belief in God can be threatening to you. Really I can. Also understanding that you have never ventured much past your small town and have never even been two towns over from where you live - ever, and living a sheltered life in a rich family, it makes sense why you would have a myopic view of things.

However, if you open your eyes a bit, you'll see that our founders were anything but secular. Thousands of documents and letters prove that fact.
George Washington didn't go to church and Thomas Jefferson wrote his own ideas about Jesus... leaving out the miracles.

The Jefferson Bible

Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I agree whole-heartedly that the McCarthyite "under god" thing that was forced in during the 50s should be removed and the pledge restored to its original form.
Count me in on this one.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Count me in on this one.
I learned the pledge of allegiance in 1942 and 1943. There was no mention of god in it. The same teachers who directed us to say the pledge first thing each day would assign each member of the class(3rd and 4th grades) a bible verse to memorize and recite before the class on Fridays. 'Course that was in McKenzie and Milan Tennessee in the bible belt so I guess that was the acceptable way back then.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
putting "in god we trust" on our worthless paper with all of it's pagan symbols representing our financial scamming and our builders, who know nothing of god's love, and which has created such destruction around the world is so...........

I don't have words for it. It's babylon at it's best, i guess.

amen brother!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Putting "In God We Trust" on our worthless paper with all of it's pagan symbols representing our financial scamming and our builders, who know NOTHING of God's love, and which has created such destruction around the world is so...........

I don't have words for it. It's Babylon at it's best, I guess.
So going to put destruction on the pagans now are you. Think you have that wrong, it has been in the name of your god, that there has been such destruction around the world.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I learned the pledge of allegiance in 1942 and 1943. There was no mention of god in it. The same teachers who directed us to say the pledge first thing each day would assign each member of the class(3rd and 4th grades) a bible verse to memorize and recite before the class on Fridays. 'Course that was in McKenzie and Milan Tennessee in the bible belt so I guess that was the acceptable way back then.
Heh...my parents made me go to private parochial school (run by their cult). Never got the chance to go to public school. I remember my 1st-4th grade teacher (they crammed four grades into one room) was a real harridan who would deliberately shame students who failed to memorize the long, daily bible verse. Punishments included being locked in the dark storage closet, standing for long periods of time with your nose touching a dot on the blackboard, running in place in front of the class while the class chanted bible verses at you, et cetera. Oh yeah, there were paddlings too, which were performed in front of the class as well.

I remember once when I opened my eyes during the morning prayer session, and the teacher called me out on it. I asked her how she knew I had my eyes open if hers were closed. That got me a punishment of 1000 sentences written saying "Jesus help me to never again commit the sin of opening my eyes during morning prayers."

Heh.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Heh...my parents made me go to private parochial school (run by their cult). Never got the chance to go to public school. I remember my 1st-4th grade teacher (they crammed four grades into one room) was a real harridan who would deliberately shame students who failed to memorize the long, daily bible verse. Punishments included being locked in the dark storage closet, standing for long periods of time with your nose touching a dot on the blackboard, running in place in front of the class while the class chanted bible verses at you, et cetera. Oh yeah, there were paddlings too, which were performed in front of the class as well.

I remember once when I opened my eyes during the morning prayer session, and the teacher called me out on it. I asked her how she knew I had my eyes open if hers were closed. That got me a punishment of 1000 sentences written saying "Jesus help me to never again commit the sin of opening my eyes during morning prayers."

Heh.

Yes, it is truly amazing the rules that people make up, claiming them to be in the name of their particular god with violation being a sin. Seems more like they are trying to gather power to themselves which is in direct contradiction of their stated religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality