Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times

Advertisements

I gave up my crucifix years ago when someone pointed out (it was a comedian, but it made all the sense in the world to me at the time & still does), How would Christ feel if He came back and saw the most horrible, horrible day in His life hanging from necks of humans, and church alters, ect. (I know I wouldn't want a visual reminder & really don't need one.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Me too. Actually, I don't even like the cross because to me, it symolizes death and not life.
To me it represents the most popular way to torture and kill a person a few thousand years ago. It also represents the biggest lie ever told. No body who has slowly bled to death has ever or will ever live to tell about it.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Lenny Bruce once said something to the effect that if Jesus had been put to death in modern times, people would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Lenny Bruce once said something to the effect that if Jesus had been put to death in modern times, people would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks.
Funny, I always think about that. Every time I see a necklace or something with a cross, I think, what if Jesus was killed with a shotgun or something. Would they be wearing that as a pendant.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Funny, I always think about that. Every time I see a necklace or something with a cross, I think, what if Jesus was killed with a shotgun or something. Would they be wearing that as a pendant.
Bleeding leaves the remains in tact. A shotgun definitely doesn't.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
To me it represents the most popular way to torture and kill a person a few thousand years ago. It also represents the biggest lie ever told. No body who has slowly bled to death has ever or will ever live to tell about it.
Actually, crucifixion was death by suffocation, not bleeding. But yeah, I agree with your general sentiment.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Actually, crucifixion was death by suffocation, not bleeding. But yeah, I agree with your general sentiment.
OK...but when the body is there without fluids it's Katy bar the door. People never realize the implications of what the story told. Slow bleeding until the body was empty was the insinuation in the gospels.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
OK...but when the body is there without fluids it's Katy bar the door. People never realize the implications of what the story told. Slow bleeding until the body was empty was the insinuation in the gospels.
Well, they're wrong -- the 'gospels' are wrong on a lot of things. Death by crucifixion in most circumstances meant death by suffocation. It's easy enough to look it up and see the scientific breakdown of how it happened.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I gave up my crucifix years ago when someone pointed out (it was a comedian, but it made all the sense in the world to me at the time & still does), How would Christ feel if He came back and saw the most horrible, horrible day in His life hanging from necks of humans, and church alters, ect. (I know I wouldn't want a visual reminder & really don't need one.)
To the contrary!

Thomas insisted that he would not believe unless he saw the the imprint of the nails, and put his finger into the place of the nails, and put his hand into His side, John 20:27 records the Lord Jesus telling Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."

The scars on Jesus' body will be a constant reminder of His love for us.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To the contrary!

Thomas insisted that he would not believe unless he saw the the imprint of the nails, and put his finger into the place of the nails, and put his hand into His side, John 20:27 records the Lord Jesus telling Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."

The scars on Jesus' body will be a constant reminder of His love for us.
So you take the word of one of those who lived and traveled with Jesus?

Keep in mind that those around him were the only ones who ever told that set of stories. Josephus the recognized Jew was one of eight known historians alive at that time and he barely mentioned his name. I always like to use a particular analogy. That would be like the NY city sports writers calling Mantle and Maris by name but forgetting to mention that they were pretty good hitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality