Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

7,065 posts, read 12,301,652 times

Advertisements

Why Does America Have So Many Christian Loonies?

Our slave owning, Native American killing, flat Earth believing, syphilis/smallpox carrying, founding fathers brought us their belief and worship of magical Middle Eastern sky people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians reside and worship in many nations. But what other nation can boast of such a great number of fundies as America?
America has the mega-churches, a powerful christian media,
more evangelists than all nations put together, more people that reject science to favor creationism, more religious people in positions of authority (politics), more religious people with weapons that ocassionally use them to eliminate others, etc.
What in American society cultivates the vast numbers of christian weirdos? Is it the education system? Traditions? Parents? Peer Pressure?
It's simple. It's because Christianity is dying out in the west and Christians are well aware of that. 80% of churches are shrinking and doubt among Christians is at an all time high.

Even Christianitytoday.com has written about how Christians are leaving Church in droves. Ex-Christian.net has never had more people sign up than these days.

Every Christian society was WIPED OUT 350 years ago and western societies are the POLAR OPPOSITE of Christian societies. Christian socities routinely banned other forms of thought, religions, and even simple cultural practices!! They were among the most EVIL societies that ever existed and even clergy have admitted how evil they were!!

The west respects ALL cultures, ALL religions ,and ALL points of view. Crazy HATEFUL ChristNUT societies were just the OPPOSITE!! THAT is why Christianity is dying out and will be mostly all gone in the next few hundred years!!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? Where have you been? The weirdos, and there are many of them, possibly even a majority in some states get elected to political office, (Your past two presidents) teach in schools, make some laws, etc. In my opinion the Christian loonies are the ones that believe in a literal bible, reject evolution in favor of creation, believe in the rapture myth, etc. Why would you think that these beliefs deserve respect?

They do not need to be as extreme as the WBC to qualify, after all George Bush claimed that God told him to invade Iraq, and his father was no better in my opinion. Particularly after saying this.... “No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”
So just because they have a profound spiritual beleif, that makes them weirdos? Who are they hurting? { the sane ones that is }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
All one has to do for many Christians to claim that you are being disrespectful is say that you don't follow their religious beliefs. That doesn't stop them doing the same to others of a different religious belief to them of course...which, for some strange reason, they don't consider to be disrespectful.
Your way off. Christians dont demand that you beleive the way they do, they would just like to be left in peace to do their thing. Calling somone a weirdo just because they are christian is as narrow minded and ignorant as calling somone a weirdo for being an atheist. My guess is most of the atheist who call Christians such names have spent very little time around any true Christians,normall everyday people. You here of their beleifs, disagree with them, and dismiss all of them as nutjobs

Everyone deserves a minimal amount of respect no matter what they beleive. After you have seen their actions as human beings, then you can judge them

Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
So just because they have a profound spiritual beleif, that makes them weirdos? Who are they hurting? { the sane ones that is }
Your way off. Christians dont demand that you beleive the way they do, they would just like to be left in peace to do their thing. Calling somone a weirdo just because they are christian is as narrow minded and ignorant as calling somone a weirdo for being an atheist. My guess is most of the atheist who call Christians such names have spent very little time around any true Christians,normall everyday people. You here of their beleifs, disagree with them, and dismiss all of them as nutjobs

Everyone deserves a minimal amount of respect no matter what they beleive. After you have seen their actions as human beings, then you can judge them
I bolded your post.
Some christians probably do want to live in peace. The Amish are an excellent example. I drive thru their areas sometimes and wave to any I see. They seem to be peaceful and deserve to practice their beliefs. I am an atheist, but respect them.
The great problem is with the christians who get their faces into the media and politics with various demands for laws and social norms. When their suggestions for laws and social norms are criticized and/or rejected they become angry and throw stones.
'true christians'...apparently many who call themselves christians argue amongst themselves as to which ones are the 'true christians'. There's a lot of hostility.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
My guess is most of the atheist who call Christians such names have spent very little time around any true Christians,.....
Probably because they are impossible to find. Do you know of any?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,128,665 times
When Christians can agree as to who are the True Christians, perhaps they will be deserving of more respect (depending on who they are). But as it is now, Christians are a fractious bunch. My fundie cousin told me that I, an atheist, will be judged less harshly by his God than will the false Christians, such as Catholics. Go figure.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I bolded your post.
Some christians probably do want to live in peace. The Amish are an excellent example. I drive thru their areas sometimes and wave to any I see. They seem to be peaceful and deserve to practice their beliefs. I am an atheist, but respect them.
The great problem is with the christians who get their faces into the media and politics with various demands for laws and social norms. When their suggestions for laws and social norms are criticized and/or rejected they become angry and throw stones.
'true christians'...apparently many who call themselves christians argue amongst themselves as to which ones are the 'true christians'. There's a lot of hostility.
Agreed. This is where it starts. People see nutjobs like the westboro baptist church on the news and think hmmm . . . this is Christianity??? These people are trying to make names for themselves and thats it. If those people read and studied the teachings of the religion they claim to be, they would see the error of their ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Probably because they are impossible to find. Do you know of any?
Good point, but yes I do know some. My aunt and uncle are evangalists. They are very good people who have done alot of good in the world through their ministries. They will not try to force theire beleifs on you but if you want to learn about them, they will tell you

Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 PM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times

YouTube - Insane Politicians and their Looney Theories

Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Good point, but yes I do know some. My aunt and uncle are evangalists. They are very good people who have done alot of good in the world through their ministries. They will not try to force their beleifs on you but if you want to learn about them, they will tell you
Have they sold their possessions and given the money to the poor? Do they report theft of their property to the police? If they caught a thief stealing their TV, would they give him their radio too? Does their righteousness surpass that of the Pharisees?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
...and these people decide our future!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality