Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,720,387 times

Advertisements

This is why there are so many crazies in the US.

Fundamentalist Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A modern movement built on things like Creationism, a literal and inerrant Bible, and anti-intellectualism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,803,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Why yes as a matter of fact they have. They live basicly on the road going from state to state, town to town feeding the homeless out of the back of a camper that belongs to the ministry they serve. They have also helped many people who have been addicted to drugs get their lives back and many of them are very successful and have families of their own now.

As I said, they live on the road and so they dont have a tv or a radio. They have only the bare essentials which are a truck and a pull-behind camper in which they keep ALL of their belongings. Their are many churches along the way that help support them and all the good they do for others. They have dedicated their entire lives to doing what they do

Any more questions???
Yeah! What about you?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM

[quote=Doug S. 123;19113999

Didnt think so.
[/QUOTE] imme a chance dude...I'm holiday at the moment and didn't have access to a computer until this morning.

Quote:
That being said it seems you are confusing these things for somthing that a Christian MUST do. Nowhere is it said in the Bible that you must sell your belongings and give the money to the poor to be a Christian.
Ididn't say you had to do it only if you want to be perfect. I assumed you did want to be perfect.

Quote:
I recall Jesus telling a man that wanted to join him and his desiples that he must sell everything, but that was only to JOIN HIM.
So it only applies to someone else huh?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:26 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,848,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yeah! What about you?
I have done none of these things, but then again, in my first post to this thread, I very clearly said I am not a Christian. Did I not say this?

Here, let me help you find it:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...so-many-5.html
Even if I were a Christian, the things you listed would not be requirments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
By loonies, as in the OP, I meant the loonies that pry into private lives, demand legislation according to their likes and dislikes, those who become very angry and hostile to other opinions and lifestyles, the stone throwers, the finger pointers, and those who bless themselves for their righteousness.
What I wonder is why does America have such large numbers of them.
I wasnt directing that post to you but yes I see what you mean. The fact is, there are going to be "loonies" in any group wether it be Christian, Atheist, Islam, whatever. These people are usually just trying to draw attention to themselves and get publicity

Quote:
imme a chance dude...I'm holiday at the moment and didn't have access to a computer until this morning.

Ididn't say you had to do it only if you want to be perfect. I assumed you did want to be perfect.

So it only applies to someone else huh?
Who would want to be perfect? That is impossible. What do you mean "it" only applies to somone else. There is no "it" because there is no rule that you must do these things in order to be Christian Did I not explain it clear enough for you the first time? Jesus said this to the man to test if he was sincere about wanting to follow him and be like his desciples were. Obviously, the man cared more about his material possesions than he did about wanting to join Jesus ministry

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 05-12-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Obviously, the man cared more about his material possesions than he did about wanting to join Jesus ministry
Rather like the majority of Christians in the world then.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,551,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians reside and worship in many nations. But what other nation can boast of such a great number of fundies as America?
America has the mega-churches, a powerful christian media,
more evangelists than all nations put together, more people that reject science to favor creationism, more religious people in positions of authority (politics), more religious people with weapons that ocassionally use them to eliminate others, etc.
What in American society cultivates the vast numbers of christian weirdos? Is it the education system? Traditions? Parents? Peer Pressure?
First...about a third of them are faking it because they know an atheist is automatically at a disadvantage in this country. If you don't believe that look at some of the things going on Sunday mornings and weigh that against the numbers of cars in the parking lots of churches.

There's golf, picnics, lawn mowing, fishing, sleeping in, etc. I'm in the bible belt and on any given Sunday about 80% of my neighborhood is at home...not in church. Maybe they just go once a month so they can drop off their money.

Now...besides that the number of declared Christians or indeed religious people has begun to diminish and it's gathering steam because of the Internet.

When I was in elementary school in the early 1940's the teachers taught the bible every day beginning with all of us saying the lord's prayer in unison and memorizing bible verses in order to recite them back to the class.

In one of Thomas Jefferson's letters to John Adams a statement declares that there will come a day when the miracles in the new testament will no longer be relevant to our society. That will still come to pass though it's been slowed by religious zealots poking their noses into our government.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-13-2011 at 04:46 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,831,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That remains to be seen. We haven't yet seen what is going to happen in Egypt, and Libya appears to be a checkmate. It's not going well in Syria.
All I said was something about the "Fundamentalism" in the middle east. Realize that fundamentalists are rather more orthodox moslems like Hezbollah and the the rule of Iran. It is the focused upon simple life, and it is perhaps more afraid of the war if it is not part of the political troubles the right government issues have brought up. Of late they are narrow minded, and could be factors in the justified economic changes of the country. Nevertheless, their time is spent on ignoring the law, using the authorities for medical and social protection issues, and they have an unjustified population growth amongst their ranks. They faithfully stick to their roots and do not justify changes of anything democratically principled beyond knowing the military is near.

Libya and Egypt are revolts usually by the affluent and middle class frustrated by the inability to progress in their scientifically presented enterprises. They are instead the well employed and ambitious.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Rather like the majority of Christians in the world then.
Finally somthing we can agree on. Yes, most who "claim" to be Christian arnt really Christian at all, a point I TRIED to show you and flyero with my previous posts.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,720,387 times
Quote:
Finally somthing we can agree on. Yes, most who "claim" to be Christian arnt really Christian at all, a point I TRIED to show you and flyero with my previous posts.
The problem with this argument (and the reason it's a fallacy) is because every Christian says that every other Christian who disagrees with them, is not a "true Christian". Christianity is the most divided, disagreeable religion in human history. They all think they're right with God, and everyone else isn't. And there is absolutely no way to know who is and who isn't.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The problem with this argument (and the reason it's a fallacy) is because every Christian says that every other Christian who disagrees with them, is not a "true Christian". Christianity is the most divided, disagreeable religion in human history. They all think they're right with God, and everyone else isn't. And there is absolutely no way to know who is and who isn't.
Im not talking about people who belong to diffrent denominations, Im talking about the people who claim to be Christians but yet, Christianity and its teachings play NO active role in their lives what soever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality