Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I doubt that highly. If it was a one time thing, then it's not mental illness. It's evidence of something that science will never choose to recognize.
Where did you come up with that? Geeze. I gave a solid scientific explanation for what happened to her and you completely ignore it in favor of some silly supernatural hokum about demons and spirits. Puh-leeeeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1princess_girl View Post
Two and a half years ago, while half awake and half asleep, I heard the audible voice of either the Lord or an Angel..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I've heard "the voice" many times. Usually right when I'm waking up.
Ah! That'll be cheese in both cases. OK for lunch but never for supper. Dreadful stuff to sleep on.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:11 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
What's that saying? " If you talk to God, you are religious, if God talks to you, you are insane." Or something to that effect.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I experience sleep paralysis once in a while, but now that I know what is happening, it's no big deal. However, during the episodes which can last a few seconds to a few minutes, I do see things and hear things that aren't there. The first time it happened it was scary as hell, because I hallucinated someone walking into my room, sitting on my chest, and stabbing me with a knife. Very freaky, but utterly a figment of my dream-mind.
So yeah. You imagined it. Nothing more, nothing less.
You said you meditate . . . if you do not acquire the conscious control over your experiences but still succeed in achieving any level of altered states . . . there is a spiritual danger (not physical). Most of what is experienced in altered states is attributable to our subconscious and unresolved conflicts from our daily (and more longstanding) frustrations. But not all. With conscious control you can change those from your subconscious . . . but not the others. They are "transients" powered by the strong emotions of others focused specifically on you.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You said you meditate . . . if you do not acquire the conscious control over your experiences but still succeed in achieving any level of altered states . . . there is a spiritual danger (not physical). Most of what is experienced in altered states is attributable to our subconscious and unresolved conflicts from our daily (and more longstanding) frustrations. But not all. With conscious control you can change those from your subconscious . . . but not the others. They are "transients" powered by the strong emotions of others focused specifically on you.
Oh please don't feed me your line of existential new age mystical baloney. I know exactly what causes sleep paralysis, and I even happen to have figured out my own triggers for it.

There is credible research on the subject and firm scientific data detailing the causes. In fact, I know that sleeping in one particular position is the ONLY position in which I experience the hypnopompic episodes, and I know that certain stress levels in my daily life have an effect on them, along with interruption of my normal sleep cycle, etc.

There's nothing mystical or supernatural about them, period.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Oh please don't feed me your line of existential new age mystical baloney. I know exactly what causes sleep paralysis, and I even happen to have figured out my own triggers for it.

There is credible research on the subject and firm scientific data detailing the causes. In fact, I know that sleeping in one particular position is the ONLY position in which I experience the hypnopompic episodes, and I know that certain stress levels in my daily life have an effect on them, along with interruption of my normal sleep cycle, etc.

There's nothing mystical or supernatural about them, period.
You know (or should) that there is no such thing as supernatural. But there is more to the "natural" than you are privy to apparently.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You know (or should) that there is no such thing as supernatural. But there is more to the "natural" than you are privy to apparently.
Save your mystical crap for someone who believes in the unreal. By your suggestion, you're saying that 'transients' can affect me only when I sleep in one certain position. What, do I have a force field around me when I sleep otherwise? Geeze. The science is there, and it's real. Go stroll barefoot through the flowers picking up crystals and hugging trees and looking at auras with someone who actually gives a damn.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Save your mystical crap for someone who believes in the unreal. By your suggestion, you're saying that 'transients' can affect me only when I sleep in one certain position. What, do I have a force field around me when I sleep otherwise? Geeze. The science is there, and it's real. Go stroll barefoot through the flowers picking up crystals and hugging trees and looking at auras with someone who actually gives a damn.
No . . . I am saying that "transients" can be experienced only when you are in a specific brain state . . . however you get into it. It is quite obvious why you would have people feeling strong (and such negative) emotions toward you, though!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
What's that saying? " If you talk to God, you are religious, if God talks to you, you are insane." Or something to that effect.
"When you talk to god its called prayer. When god talks to you it's called schizophrenia."

Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Most of what is experienced in altered states is attributable to our subconscious and unresolved conflicts from our daily (and more longstanding) frustrations.
..or cheese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality