Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it possible that authentic "Holy Bible manuscripts" could still be waiting to be discov
Yes, it's possible, and if any are found, The Holy Bible should be revised. 5 29.41%
Yes, it's possible, but any found should remain separate from the current original versions. 2 11.76%
No, it's not possible. 6 35.29%
Not sure/no opinion. 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, I recall reading a short reference about the Apocyphal Books in an article mentioning something about a "pool of souls from where all souls came and to where all souls return."
When asked, my Parish Priest told me that some of these books were not sanctioned by the Catholic Church for various reasons, something about the concept of a universal pool of souls conflicting with other established Biblical teachings.
So now I decided to try to find out more about what these Apocryphal Books are all about.

I located a very concise explanation about what exactly the Apocryphal Books are. There are 15 books of which 12 are accepted and included in the Catholic Bible, but apparently none are included in the Protestant Bible version:

The Apocryphal Books

Then, I located a website that apparently lists the actual texts of these Apocryphal Books.
I first came upon the 3 Baruch which seems to be totally different than "The New American Bible" version of it which is a modern Catholic Bible.

While I found that reading it was interesting, it led me to wonder if the text is just missing from this Bible version or is identical to what's included in other Catholic Bibles?
Does anyone have an opinion?

3 Baruch

Then I really enjoyed reading the following Apocryphal Book, and since I'm not a Bible expert, I wonder what the reasons for its omission are really all about?

2 Esdras

This whole Apocryphal Book business led me to wonder whether or not there could be any other "truely authentic & Holy" missing Bible manuscripts that are yet still unfound and hidden somewhere that could be just as "Holy & valid" as our currently accepted Bible works are?
If anyone decides to read these above mentioned Books, how did you enjoy them and does there seem to be anything outwardly wrong with them?
What about the possibility of other Bible manuscripts existing that could still be waiting to be found? Do you think that there's any even remote possibility? If there were any to be found, should they be incorporated into the current Bible versions, and exactly who should rightfully decide what's valid and authentically Holy or not?

Last edited by sun; 07-01-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,830,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Many years ago, I recall reading a short reference about the Apocyphal Books in an article mentioning something about a "pool of souls from where all souls came and to where all souls return."
When asked, my Parish Priest told me that some of these books were not sanctioned by the Catholic Church for various reasons, something about the concept of a universal pool of souls conflicting with other established Biblical teachings.
So now I decided to try to find out more about what these Apocryphal Books are all about.

I located a very concise explanation about what exactly the Apocryphal Books are. There are 15 books of which 12 are accepted and included in the Catholic Bible, but apparently none are included in the Protestant Bible version:

The Apocryphal Books

Then, I located a website that apparently lists the actual texts of these Apocryphal Books.
I first came upon the 3 Baruch which seems to be totally different than "The New American Bible" version of it which is a modern Catholic Bible.

While I found that reading it was interesting, it led me to wonder if the text is just missing from this Bible version or is identical to what's included in other Catholic Bibles?

3 Baruch

Then I really enjoyed reading the following Apocryphal Book, and since I'm not a Bible expert, I wonder what the reasons for its omission are really all about?

2 Esdras

This whole Apocryphal Book business led me to wonder whether or not there could be any other "truely authentic & Holy" missing Bible manuscripts that are yet still unfound and hidden somewhere that could be just as "Holy & valid" as our currently accepted Bible works are?
If anyone decides to read these above mentioned Books, how did you enjoy them and does there seem to be anything outwardly wrong with them?
What about the possibility of other Bible manuscripts existing that could still be waiting to be found? Do you think that there's any even remote possibility? If there were any to be found, should they be incorporated into the current Bible versions, and exactly who should rightfully decide what's valid and authentically Holy or not?
I don't mean to laugh, but some of these "Gospels" were NOT written by the person who supposedly wrote them.

Like the Nostic Gospel of Judas was written 150 YEARS after Judas hung himself. That means Judas was looooooooong dead and could not have written it or could not have passed accounts to have his account written. Please, 150 years AFTER someone's death and you write a book stating what the person said....

It has been long clarified by the Council of Nicea and other Christian Scholars (see Biblical canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a long and complex explanation) what Christian books were good and which ones were fake. Stop chasing fantasies and myths and focus on what is important, which is Jesus Christ and doing Christ's work. That way you don't have to worry about some forger or some "get-rich-quick *******" using some cool program to make some old looking paper and placing itin some cave and then "discovering" it to make millions and deceive people.

Thank you.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I don't mean to laugh, but some of these "Gospels" were NOT written by the person who supposedly wrote them.

Like the Nostic Gospel of Judas was written 150 YEARS after Judas hung himself. That means Judas was looooooooong dead and could not have written it or could not have passed accounts to have his account written. Please, 150 years AFTER someone's death and you write a book stating what the person said....

It has been long clarified by the Council of Nicea and other Christian Scholars (see Biblical canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a long and complex explanation) what Christian books were good and which ones were fake. Stop chasing fantasies and myths and focus on what is important, which is Jesus Christ and doing Christ's work. That way you don't have to worry about some forger or some "get-rich-quick *******" using some cool program to make some old looking paper and placing itin some cave and then "discovering" it to make millions and deceive people.

Thank you.
There's definately some truth here. I believe there are other works that are important writings and have good things in them, but that the canon as it stands is as it is for verifiable reasons. And as said, alot of the so-called "gnostic gospels" are fakes.

Many modern Protestants point to four "Criteria for Canonicity" to justify the books that have been included in the Old and New Testament, which are judged to have satisfied the following:

Apostolic Origin — attributed to and based on the preaching/teaching of the first-generation apostles (or their close companions).

Universal Acceptance — acknowledged by all major Christian communities in the ancient world (by the end of the fourth century).

Liturgical Use — read publicly when early Christian communities gathered for the Lord's Supper (their weekly worship services).

Consistent Message — containing a theological outlook similar or complementary to other accepted Christian writings.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-02-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: adding thought

Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 AM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
These lost books have wikipedia links:

Quote:

Lost Biblical texts
Hexapla, a compilation of the Old Testament by Origen.
Q document, a hypothetical New Testament Gospel source text.

[edit] Lost books of the Old Testament
The Lost Book of the Covenant (May be the Covenant Code)
The Book of the Wars of the Lord
The Lost Book of Jasher (May be the Book of Jasher or the Midrash of Jasher)
The Manner of the Kingdom
The Acts of Solomon
The Chronicles of the Kings of Israel
The Chronicles of the Kings of Judah
The Book of the Kings of Israel
The Annals of King David
Book of Samuel the Seer
Book of Nathan the Prophet
Book of Gad the Seer
The History of Nathan the Prophet
Prophecy of Ahijah
Visions of Iddo the Seer
Book of Shemaiah the Prophet
Iddo Genealogies
Story of the Prophet Iddo
The Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel
Book of Jehu
Story of the Book of Kings
Acts of Uziah
Acts of the Kings of Israel
Sayings of the Seers
Laments for Josiah
Book of the Chronicles
Chronicles of King Ahasuerus
Chronicles of the Kings of Media and Persia

[edit] Lost books of the New Testament
Epistle to Corinth
Earlier Epistle to the Ephesians
Epistle from Laodicea to the Colossians
Earlier Epistle of John
Missing Epistle of Jude

[edit] Lost New Testament apocrypha
Book of spells of serpents
Gospel of Eve
Gospel of Judas - Rediscovered and translated, 2006 [4] [5].
Gospel of Mani
Gospel of Matthias
Gospel of Perfection
Gospel of Thaddaeus
Gospel of the Four Heavenly Realms
Gospel of the Hebrews
Gospel of the Seventy
Gospel of the Twelve
Grave-plate of the Apostles
Memoria Apostolorum
Portion of the Apostles
Secret Gospel of Mark

Lost work - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "lost" Gospel of Judas is an interesting example, but the article may need to be updated:

Quote:
The text is extant in only one manuscript, a fourth century Coptic manuscript known as the Codex Tchacos, which surfaced in the 1970s, after about sixteen centuries in the desert of Egypt as a leather-bound papyrus manuscript.

Gospel of Judas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sun; 07-03-2007 at 02:29 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 PM

41 posts, read 115,123 times
I believe that one day man is going to find a treasure trove of many scrolls. I also believe that when the ark was stolen there were original scrolls in it that fell into the wrong hands. If I had to guess I would say there was at least 24 of these in the ark when it was taken and wound up in the wrong hands.
The copper scroll that they found I believe has more to do with this secret treasure trove but most can not see past the riches it says can be found. To a true christian wouldn't a treasure of old bible journals be worth more then the gold mentioned on the copper scroll? Perhaps the second copy of it is a copy of the book Isaiah?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Sort of funny how "God's Word" seems to need so much editing, correcting, and selecting by "God's Servants." Almost seems like some of the servants want the top job themselves.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
The Apocryphal books used to be included in the King James Bibles. My grandmother's family bible had a section with a good many of the books in it. I really don't know if it had all of them.

And, The Great Bible that is/was used in the Episcopal Church also has the Apocryphal.

This is a preface from "The Apocrypha, an American Translation by Edgar J. Goodspeed."
"The Apocrypha formed and integral part of the King James Version of 1611, as they had in all the preceding English versions from their beginning in 1382.. but they are seldom printed today. This is partly because the Puritans disapproved of them; they had already begun to drop them from printings of their Geneva Bible by 1600, and began to demand copies of the King James Version omit them as early as 1629...."

The entire preface is very interesting if you are interested in the evolution of the Apocrypha in American. And that's your History Lesson for this evening.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 AM

17 posts, read 50,617 times
Default These books should have been in the bible but appointed not anointed people kept them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post

The Apocryphal Books

3 Baruch

2 Esdras

The book of Enoch and the book of Thomas were inspirational reading for me. However seek God and he will lead you to his truth, the pineal or third eye at the center of our brain may give you ensite. Ask the pope why they have so many pinecone shaped ornaments in the vatican but wont tell us about why they are there. The pineal is an organ in the brain that is shaped like a pinecone ( small pea size pinecone)

Old 08-25-2007, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 24,262 times
Default On Canons

What makes a collection of books, an anthology, a "BIBLE" is called The Canon. There is not one Canon but rather many, the smallest Canon contains only 5 books while the largest Canon contains over 80 books.

There is no such thing as "The Bible", rather what one considers the Bible is simply those books sanctioned by a particular Canon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality