Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Were you surprised by those facts....perhaps you should do the same.
Surprised that you display a lack of faith in the Bible. It's been awhile since I've posted here - maybe I've missed something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just started reading the Bible last night, and read the first five chapters of Genesis. I must say, none of this seems to be true in the slightest. Seems like ancient mythology. Here is what I could gather from my reading:
  • When God was creating the world, he said "Let us create..." and "We."I think it was the 6th day, but not sure. It seems like he is referring to multiple Gods, but I thought there was supposed to be just Him. Weird!
  • God placed the tree of good and evil in the middle of the garden of Eden and told Eve not to eat fruit from it. Soon after, Eve ate from the tree. Because God is supposed to be omniscient, wouldn't He have known that she would have eaten from the tree? In other words, Eve was damned if she did or didn't eat from the tree.
  • As soon as Adam and Eve realized they were naked, they made loin clothes out of fig tree leaves (or something). Then, shortly after, God gave them loin clothes. Weird!
  • Adam lived to be over 900 years old. And all of his descendants lived anywhere from 700 to 1000 years old. I did some calculations, and if you do the math, it means that Adam was still alive when Noah was alive! This means that Adam was a great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather! Does any Christian actually believe that men could live for almost 1,000 years in the B.C. era, with no healthcare and inadequate shelter from natural disaster?!
I will certainly continue reading the Bible, but I must say, so far, the Book of Genesis seems like pure mythology at its finest. If that's the case, then why bother believing in the rest of the Bible? For that matter, why not believe in Aesop's Fables or Grim's Fairytales?
Adam died 126 years before Noah's birth, 626 before Shem's birth, 726 before the flood...and Noah died when Abraham was 58 years of age...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:53 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
I just started reading the Bible last night, and read the first five chapters of Genesis. I must say, none of this seems to be true in the slightest. Seems like ancient mythology. Here is what I could gather from my reading:
  • When God was creating the world, he said "Let us create..." and "We."I think it was the 6th day, but not sure. It seems like he is referring to multiple Gods, but I thought there was supposed to be just Him. Weird!
  • God placed the tree of good and evil in the middle of the garden of Eden and told Eve not to eat fruit from it. Soon after, Eve ate from the tree. Because God is supposed to be omniscient, wouldn't He have known that she would have eaten from the tree? In other words, Eve was damned if she did or didn't eat from the tree.
  • As soon as Adam and Eve realized they were naked, they made loin clothes out of fig tree leaves (or something). Then, shortly after, God gave them loin clothes. Weird!
  • Adam lived to be over 900 years old. And all of his descendants lived anywhere from 700 to 1000 years old. I did some calculations, and if you do the math, it means that Adam was still alive when Noah was alive! This means that Adam was a great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather! Does any Christian actually believe that men could live for almost 1,000 years in the B.C. era, with no healthcare and inadequate shelter from natural disaster?!
I will certainly continue reading the Bible, but I must say, so far, the Book of Genesis seems like pure mythology at its finest. If that's the case, then why bother believing in the rest of the Bible? For that matter, why not believe in Aesop's Fables or Grim's Fairytales?

Much of the Bible can be difficult on it's face.

Allow me to make two suggestions that might help you get a little more out of it:

1- Find youself a couple good Biblical Commentaries. Perhaps from different religious traditions, in order to see different perspectives on the text.
2- Pray. To open yourself to understanding.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,108 times
Quote:
That is the first evidence of the Triune God. The Three Persons in the One God is seen in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. If you note that for the act of creation, God spoke in the plural but when performing the act of creation, God did so in the singular.

Quote:
Actually, in Genesis 2, God said that to Adam only. After God created Eve, it is surmised that Adam told Eve what God had said and thus the reason why the serpent was able to deceive Eve because she did not hear it directly from God Himself, thus making her doubt what was relayed to her through Adam.

Quote:
True: Adam and Eve covered themselves with sewed together fig leaves, but God made better clothing for them as coats of skins.

Quote:
Adam could not have been alive because it was recorded that he had died.

Quote:
The tomb of Jesus Christ is empty. That's why.

Try this when reading the Bible next time: Ask God that if He is there, to help reveal His Son to you. It doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Why would anyone have "faith" in a book??? Shouldn't ones faith be in their diety????
You have faith in the author of the book. The Bible tells you who is responsible for its writings.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You have faith in the author of the book. The Bible tells you who is responsible for its writings.
The source of inspiration is NOT the author. Humans are the authors . . . flawed, ignorant, primitive, cultural savages, etc.etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,541,971 times
By your own admission you "just started reading the Bible". You've only "read" a few chapters of Genesis, and you've concluded that it's all a myth?

That's incredible!!!

There are Biblical scholars that spend their entire lives studying the Bible and researching it for answers. You've only read a few pages and concluded it's a myth. A lie.

Amazing.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM

I can't debate Biblical philosophy with someone who equates the Bible to a Harry Potter novel.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Genesis is there for this simple reason, God knows that every race has a few quitters, those who really don't have the faith or the heart to make it to the finish line.
Consider that He's only clearing debris from the road that leads to understanding, so that those who have the necessary stamina and determination to run the full course,
aren't encumbered in any way, by those who have tripped, fallen or quit during the first leg of the journey.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Why not, if it is so easy to prove, prove it. And yes I do, it is another book full of myths and fairy tales.

I don't recall stating that my belief is easy in any sense of the word. In fact, if you had bothered to read my posts, you would see that I did state that people spend their lives reading, and studying, the Bible in order to have a clear understanding of what it means.

You're the one who stated it was a hoax. I would think that a hoax would be easier to prove.

So, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality