Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
Where did I say, "they're only 2% different from us, praise god?"

Did you just not understand what I was saying?
No, you don't understand science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No, you don't understand science.

Clearly you missed the point I was making. But, okay.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
English wasn't a language when the Biblical accounts were written. Or, if it did exist, it wasn't the language used.

But, I agree, plain 2010 English would be nice. He could even throw in a few "y'alls" and "aint's" to cater to us Okies. I wouldn't mind.
Do you believe in the tower of babel? Thats another one that just makes no sense.

My dad just moved to Oklahoma to be close to his best friend. Hot and humid?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Do you believe in the tower of babel? Thats another one that just makes no sense.

My dad just moved to Oklahoma to be close to his best friend. Hot and humid?

Do I believe the tower existed, or was in the process of being built? Or, do I believe that this was the prelude to God creating all the different languages of the world?

As for the structure of the tower... sure, why not? We have the Pyramids, but we still don't know for sure how they were built. There are alot of people who have some good ideas for how it was done. But, consider that the Egyptians were VERY good at recording everything in their daily lives. Some might say almost anal about it.

Yet, there isn't a single Egyptian hieroglyphic, or any documentation whatsoever, that shows how they did it. So, for me at least, it's really no stretch of the imagination to think that the Tower of Babel didn't exist.

Now, was it the cause of all the different languages being created? If it was then why? I can't answer that.

Yes, Oklahoma is very hot and humid in the Summer. It's nothing to be over 105 degrees with a thousand percent humidity (I exaggerate for effect).

Even when the weather is cool the humidity can still be high enough to make you feel "sticky" all over.

So, had your dad invited you over for some chicken fried steak and okra yet? :-)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Do I believe the tower existed, or was in the process of being built? Or, do I believe that this was the prelude to God creating all the different languages of the world?

As for the structure of the tower... sure, why not? We have the Pyramids, but we still don't know for sure how they were built. There are alot of people who have some good ideas for how it was done. But, consider that the Egyptians were VERY good at recording everything in their daily lives. Some might say almost anal about it.

Yet, there isn't a single Egyptian hieroglyphic, or any documentation whatsoever, that shows how they did it. So, for me at least, it's really no stretch of the imagination to think that the Tower of Babel didn't exist.

Now, was it the cause of all the different languages being created? If it was then why? I can't answer that.

Yes, Oklahoma is very hot and humid in the Summer. It's nothing to be over 105 degrees with a thousand percent humidity (I exaggerate for effect).

Even when the weather is cool the humidity can still be high enough to make you feel "sticky" all over.

So, had your dad invited you over for some chicken fried steak and okra yet? :-)
No he is a health food nut, I have a hard time eating tofu, flax and lentils!!!LOL

As far as the construction, maybe.
Different languages, that part I cant by into. I have a real hard time with magic and such.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No he is a health food nut, I have a hard time eating tofu, flax and lentils!!!LOL

As far as the construction, maybe.
Different languages, that part I cant by into. I have a real hard time with magic and such.

I don't blame you there. Tofu, flax, and lentils? Blecht!

Well, there are many different languages in use today on this planet. They had to have originated someplace. And, you can't take someone who knows only German, drop them off in Mexico, and expect them to be able to effectively communicate verbally.

And, that's one of the subplots to the story of the Tower of Babel. The breaking up of one universal language into many different languages so that the people didn't understand someone who was speaking a different language than their own.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you there. Tofu, flax, and lentils? Blecht!

Well, there are many different languages in use today on this planet. They had to have originated someplace. And, you can't take someone who knows only German, drop them off in Mexico, and expect them to be able to effectively communicate verbally.

And, that's one of the subplots to the story of the Tower of Babel. The breaking up of one universal language into many different languages so that the people didn't understand someone who was speaking a different language than their own.
Rather than the easy, tower of babel explanation of the day, I mean come on they didn't know better.

I go with things like: Where all over the world different civilizations developed with different features, like Asian, and Africans and Native Americans and Caucasians and developed their own language through the ages. The list of extinct languages is great. there were different languages and god stories long before the bible was written, many of those stories appear slightly altered in the Bible. Again I believe the bible was written to try to explain their existence on earth, and with little science knowledge, they used their imaginations and best guesses as many of the ancient stories did.

How Languages Came to Be (http://faculty.valenciacc.edu/arasmussen/ASL_1/ASL_1_Readings/Deaf_Culture/Language_Origin/how_languages_came_to_be.htm - broken link)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
The fact that you dont see similarities in us and chimps and the fact that you think there is very little science in dating methods, speaks volumes of you ignorance to the facts. I KNOW how science works, but clearly you are not privy to that information.
I am not ingnorant of the facts. I know how science works. After reading your posts I think I need to use the privy!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Rather than the easy, tower of babel explanation of the day, I mean come on they didn't know better.

I go with things like: Where all over the world different civilizations developed with different features, like Asian, and Africans and Native Americans and Caucasians and developed their own language through the ages. The list of extinct languages is great. there were different languages and god stories long before the bible was written, many of those stories appear slightly altered in the Bible. Again I believe the bible was written to try to explain their existence on earth, and with little science knowledge, they used their imaginations and best guesses as many of the ancient stories did.

How Languages Came to Be (http://faculty.valenciacc.edu/arasmussen/ASL_1/ASL_1_Readings/Deaf_Culture/Language_Origin/how_languages_came_to_be.htm - broken link)

I'm just saying that the Biblical account, of the Tower of Babel, is just as good of an explanation as anything else.

There is no way to prove, or disprove, this occurred because nobody is left to tell the tale.

Sure we have the written account as it has been translated from Biblical scrolls. But, again, a mistranslation of one single word can change the entire meaning.

I'll make a deal with you. If I ever invent a time machine I will personally pick you up, and we'll both go back in time to see what did, or didn't, happen.

Now, THAT would be fun. :-)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that the Biblical account, of the Tower of Babel, is just as good of an explanation as anything else.

There is no way to prove, or disprove, this occurred because nobody is left to tell the tale.
No, it's not just as good of an explanation as anything else, it's ridiculous when we have perfectly good science to show what happened. Diachronic linguistics shows us clearly how and when languages changed, which ones came from which other ones, and the similarities and differences therein. It's not rocket science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality