Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

The U.S. Supreme Court will weigh today whether a fundamentalist church had the right to protest a soldier's funeral with signs such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "You're Going to Hell." CTV Calgary- U.S. court to weigh free speech rights at funerals - CTV News

What do you think...Do these people abuse the right to freedom of speech...or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The U.S. Supreme Court will weigh today whether a fundamentalist church had the right to protest a soldier's funeral with signs such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "You're Going to Hell." CTV Calgary- U.S. court to weigh free speech rights at funerals - CTV News

What do you think...Do these people abuse the right to freedom of speech...or not?

I think any speech that incites violence should be not allowed. I also don't think they ought to be allowed to protest at veterans funerals.

When you go over the top you lose the right to free speech.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 PM

223 posts, read 268,910 times
What's irritating me abotu this is that the press is making it out like these are anti homosexual protests. Hardly. To these guys the entire military are '*** enablers' and every US citizen that owns a US flag is worshipping a false idol. They are picketing the graves of fallen soldiers because they don't agree with the army, as they believe it supports a country that is popualted by '*** enablers'.

Bottom line is, what they're doing is hurtful, ridiculous, and just plain mean. They do however have the right to do it in a country where free speach is practiced in theory. However there is a line drawn. If I were to stand on the street and incite racial hatred, or shout racist slogans on the street I'd be arrested.

These guys are flatly nuts and should be controlled. They can make their political points in a better venue than a dead guys funeral in front of their already grieving devestated family.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Ugh. As much as I hate these guys, hate what they do, hate how very very wrong it is...if we start censoring them, then where's it going to go? I do think, however, that their tax-exempt status should be revoked, because they are making political statements.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Ugh. As much as I hate these guys, hate what they do, hate how very very wrong it is...if we start censoring them, then where's it going to go? I do think, however, that their tax-exempt status should be revoked, because they are making political statements.

I am surprised it hasn't been revoked.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Ugh. As much as I hate these guys, hate what they do, hate how very very wrong it is...if we start censoring them, then where's it going to go?
Agreed.

Hopefully someone will one day step up and silence these idiots...permanently.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed.

Hopefully someone will one day step up and silence these idiots...permanently.
Are you advocating killing them for what they are doing? If so, you're just as low a life-form as they are. If not, then please clarify what you mean by permanently silencing them.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Is this the same as burning a U.S. Flag in protest or burning crosses across the street from a black family's residence?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Is this the same as burning a U.S. Flag in protest or burning crosses across the street from a black family's residence?
Burning the US flag doesn't hurt or harrass anyone.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Burning the US flag doesn't hurt or harrass anyone.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality