Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

23 posts, read 38,323 times

Advertisements

So..... anyone know anything about Masterpath? Gary Olsen?

Just curious...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM

268 posts, read 457,593 times
Hi Srimyrear,

I'm familiar with MasterPath. When I was in college, I worked in a printing shop where the MasterPath materials were printed, and was able to acquaint myself with the dogma of this group. My manager at the print shop had actually alerted me to the fact that the group had been deemed a cult by experts and by some media outlets.

In reading some of the printed materials, I quickly became concerned about this cult and it's members. Sri Gary Olsen, the leader of MasterPath was referring to himself as "son of God", "Godman", etc. and there were also artist depictions of Gary Olsen portrayed on equal with Jesus and other prominent spiritual figures in history. Clearly Gary Olsen was seen as the "Divine" by his followers, similar to how David Koresh was viewed by his followers (and Marshall Applewhite, etc. etc.). It was quite disturbing to me, my manager, and others who were aware of the group's existence.

Approximately a year ago, I made the acquaintance of several former members of this group as well as relatives of current members. I am thankful for the opportunity to discuss this group with those who are interested.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 38,323 times
Yeah - I am concerned too. When I read some of the materials, it looks really beautiful and sort of really 'speaks' to me, but a relative of mine is involved and she has to pray to his picutres and stuff. Then I found out that just about every key element of his path is plagerized or ripped straight from Eckankar and others. But he calls himself the only real living saint or something?

hopefully someone in the know can help us with our confusion and concern!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Yes, I do agree with you that there are some generally benign and quite beautiful concepts covered in the books. But you're right that it is nothing new and the majority comes from Eckankar/Radha Soami...and I've heard that there has even been some Scientology injected in it before too.

Gary Olsen does claim to be the the "living master" and he does sell pictures of himself to be used for spiritual exercises. Some followers hang these photos in their homes, in their cars, carry them in their wallets, and some reportedly set up shrines. They call him "Sri Gary" and "Master", but the vast majority do not know anything about the man Gary Olsen or his past.

Sources have also shared that Olsen can be quite mean to his followers, even publicly shaming them during his seminars. He also has engaged in some questionable financial activities and there have been many reports of him using marijuana, possibly even on a daily basis.

This is an important discussion that I think will be of great benefit to people just learning about MasterPath and considering being initiated by Sri Gary Olsen. My opinion is that they should think long and hard before taking that step. Many people have been damaged by this man.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM

42 posts, read 80,168 times
Hi @Violet and @srimyrear

I too am familiar with MP and Gary Olsen / Sri Gary / The Master (whom I usually abbreviate to SGO) - I was introduced to MP / MasterPath / The Path about 15 years ago by a dear friend who had previously been in a very destructive cult in New York City, that my friend left when he found out about the corruption of its leader (who later comitted suicide). I was therefore initially very wary of MP and cults, but I have gradually come to the conclusion that Sri Gary is a man of truth, and that he does have the ability to instruct me on how to reach and stay within the higher states of consciousness of mind and soul in myself, such as cosmic consciousness, the third-eye (3rdi), self realization (as attained by Paramahansa Yogananda), and realization of the god-spark that is inside us all - levels that I truly believe are attainable by each and every human being on this planet if they so wish :-)

But I am still open-minded enough to want to learn more about the true origins and way of creating MP, so if any of the more senior ex- or current chelas (students) care to share, I would be interested to hear about it, as apparently the internet is a good source of information ;-)

:LoL: Of course we're here today because the original thread -

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/429080-gary-olsens-master-path-anybody-familiar-new-post.html

- is closed (I can't imagine why!) but if anyone wants to ask questions about my experience of MP and SGO, I will try my best to respond on anything I have personal experience of.

Is anyone able to produce any proof of the extent to which SGO allegedy partakes of weed, or is this all just rumor, innuendo and conjecture at this point?

I thought the following extract of MP conditions for initiation from the 1997 edition of the MP introductory booklet might give us some actual facts to discuss, so here they are...

(There are a couple of difference from the latest edition - I think two years are now needed before the second initiation is granted, and the minimum age is 18 or 21 / not sure...):

Quote:
MasterPath Initiation Requirements

The primary sacrament of MasterPath upon which the structure and spiritual works are built, is initiation, the means by which one's innate and latent spiritual forces are brought into focus to increase soul's awareness of its divine origin. After acquainting ourselves with the Light and Sound principles, we receive an initiation, which reconnects us to the Audible Life Stream, and draws the soul's energies back to the third eye.

As the student (chela) practices the spiritual exercises associated with initiation, God's mighty stream moves in and through one's heart, mind, and soul in ever-increasing waves of love. One gradually adjusts to heightened vibratory rates of expanded soul identification until the Inner Master is met at the third eye. Continued practice of the spiritual exercises expands the melodious current proportionately, as manifesting light grows in brilliance, giving birth to the Sound.

The individual's purity of mind and heart, both inner and outer, determine one's initiation into the eternal mysteries of Sound. Initiation is the most sacred step taken in order to help achieve and procure the higher realizations. The second initiation is requested by the student (chela) after one year of inner practice and investigative study, preparing one for the spiritual transformation. The following five requirements qualify the individual for the second initiation.

1. Freedom from dependency on alcohol or drugs

The Master does not reactivate the Sound Current within any student through initiation if he/she is dependent on foreign substances. Such substances have actually become one's preferred Master. Imposing control and balance versus being controlled are vastly different issues. Moderation in all things is the accepted discipline.

2. A Stable Mind

An unstable mind cannot synthesize nor adjust to the great Sound Current and its associated power flows.

3. The gradual releasing and ultimate cessation of all psychic practices

To desire any contact with psychic entities or power flows apart from the Sound Current is both dangerous and misleading. Attempting to help another before your own emancipation is accomplished only waylays your unfoldment. All psychic practices fall within universal mind power. The sound current and the universal mind power are not compatible, and delving into one always diminishes the other.

4. Making an honest living, and being a burden to no-one

The means of supporting ourselves must be pure and honest. Selling contraband, stealing, or remaining dependent on monies from parents, state, or federal agencies, when you are fit to work and pay your own way, is not making an honest living; this is being a burden on something or someone. Exceptions to this are Social Security, disability payments, pensions, and investments.

5. Must be twenty-five years or older

To initiate one before he/she is capable of assessing one's inclinations toward this teaching is ethically incorrect. A decision to walk this path should be made after one is fully experienced with the world.

Provisional Faith

True faith, according to the Master, is provisional, flexible, non-dogmatic, and open to doubt and reason. Blind faith is death. Provisional faith suggests that one try it first, and then arrive at a conclusion. Experiment with what the Master suggests, experiencing the results firsthand. How can one have faith in something one knows nothing about?

Provisional faith is responsible faith, in that our response to the knowledge we are gathering through the act of faith is vital to our conceptualization of truth and enlightenment. MasterPath purports the spiritual science of proving everything to yourself with an experimental attitude, while working in the laboratory of your own body. Anything short of this process becomes spiritual suicide and forced belief.

The chela comes to know truth by experiencing it through a continuous outpouring of revelations during the waking hours, and through infusions of vast amounts of Light and Sound while both traveling in the dream state and during the daily spiritual practices. Once one hears the melodious Sound Current within the inner planes, speculation ceases, as experience transcends doubt and uncertainty.

Last edited by PeaceMaker21; 09-22-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spelling and punctuation

Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker21 View Post
cosmic consciousness, the third-eye (3rdi), self realization (as attained by Paramahansa Yogananda), and realization of the god-spark that is inside us all - levels that I truly believe are attainable by each and every human being on this planet if they so wish :-)
Every human being on this planet can attain these levels. Correct! Gary Olsen has no power to make this happen, nor does his imaginary twin, "Garji" that he teaches is the "inner master" and whose name is chanted by MasterPath followers. The instructions and techniques that have brought you some success are not the result of anything other than your own efforts.

If I myself had offered you the same books, introduced you to the same spiritual exercises, and informed you of the same ancient wisdom, and you put in the same efforts, the result would be the same as with your "master" Gary. And I am not a master of any kind.

It should bother you, I think, that someone has proclaimed himself "Master" in the first place. That, and the fact that he is charging membership fees, selling photographs of himself to you, and encouraging you to use "one-on-one" or "one-on-group" techniques to bring more people into his control.

Questions you should ask yourself (I am not asking you): Is this not similar to a multi-level marketing scheme? Who is benefiting from these recruiting activities? Why were there MasterPath "area supervisors" in place to monitor your progress in recruiting new followers? Why does Gary Olsen need new followers? Shouldn't those who are ready find him? Why force it? Sure seems awfully spiritually counterproductive and self serving.

The marijuana usage by Gary Olsen is well-documented elsewhere by his former students who were quite close to him and were eyewitnesses to his drug use. Please refer to their testimony.

I'm uncertain what is relevant in the excerpts you posted from the 1997 introductory booklet, but I happened to have obtained a copy of the 1993 introductory booklet. It is cause for alarm with it's instructions for using the image of Gary Olsen in your mind's eye as a spiritual practice. This is quite clearly personality worship and idolatry.

It is unlikely you will ever be convinced by anything a non-member tells you about Gary Olsen or his path, Peacemaker. You have been programmed to see all of us as "reactive", "of the mind", "detractors", "manamukhs" for over 14 years. It must be a hard habit to break. Good luck with that.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
This thread is being temporarily closed pending moderator consideration and consultation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.