Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:20 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Do you think of Christianity as one religion or many religions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

Christianity is one religion. Those who believe Jesus was the son of G-d. It has a spectrum of belief though and different denominations.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
It's one religion although there are many different interpretations.

Jesus said "Follow me". He didn't say believe me. When we follow Him, the way He lived His life and doing the same, we are walking with Him. When we believe Him, we can do nothing for ourselves. Belief is of the mind whereas doing is of the soul. I'd think Jesus would want us to follow Him.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's one religion although there are many different interpretations.

Jesus said "Follow me". He didn't say believe me. When we follow Him, the way He lived His life and doing the same, we are walking with Him. When we believe Him, we can do nothing for ourselves. Belief is of the mind whereas doing is of the soul. I'd think Jesus would want us to follow Him.

Do you think he was trying to establish a new religion, such as Christianity, or was he just basically preaching to his fellow Jews as the messiah that had been promised to them?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Do you think he was trying to establish a new religion, such as Christianity, or was he just basically preaching to his fellow Jews as the messiah that had been promised to them?
I don't believe He wanted to change anything or start a new religion. I believe He was here to expound on what was already here. To rebestow Divine Love and to remind everyone that God is the God of all. That's why He said love God and each other. This covers all the laws that Moses had written down. To follow those teachings is to be a Christian. So anyone who followed Jesus, lived in love and strived to become perfect, was considered a christian.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I don't believe He wanted to change anything or start a new religion. I believe He was here to expound on what was already here. To rebestow Divine Love and to remind everyone that God is the God of all. That's why He said love God and each other. This covers all the laws that Moses had written down. To follow those teachings is to be a Christian. So anyone who followed Jesus, lived in love and strived to become perfect, was considered a christian.

Just my opinion.

The only issue here is that in Jesus' time they were all Jewish and so was he. Christianity did not start until well after his death and the religion that emerged is not what he lived. The Christianity that emerged was a violent, narrow minded religion that did not even come close to what Jesus preached.

If he came back he would not recognize Christianity. He would not call himself a Christian he would look for the nearest synagogue and the Jewish community because that is what he knew.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The only issue here is that in Jesus' time they were all Jewish and so was he. Christianity did not start until well after his death and the religion that emerged is not what he lived. The Christianity that emerged was a violent, narrow minded religion that did not even come close to what Jesus preached.

If he came back he would not recognize Christianity. He would not call himself a Christian he would look for the nearest synagogue and the Jewish community because that is what he knew.
I agree. Jesus was Jewish and is still Jewish. In His later years right after His ministry started, He didn't teach religion. He taught Love and to follow Love is true christianity. I don't know a lot about how it started but I do know that the ones who started it did not follow all that Jesus taught or said and put their own words into what is now contained in the bible.

At the time of Jesus' ministry, the only apostles who understood what Jesus was teaching is John and Mary Magdalane. The others didn't get it until after Pentecost when Divine Love was received into their souls. Since they were not fully Divine even after that one time of receiving it, they still erred in their own interpretation of what Jesus taught.

Jesus has since returned to enlighten us as to what His true teachings were and still are. To Love each other. To love God. To become perfect as God is perfect. This means to pray for Divine Love in order to reach that perfection so that we can all love each other the way that Jesus loved us.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Boy, I wish you Christians would post an explanation on my thread about God and Guns...........what you are saying is exactly what I have been trying to explain over there and no one is getting it. I appreciate the clear meaning of Christianity on here. That's exactly what I was thinking it meant to be Christian.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Getting back to my opening question, what do you think of this part which I've highlighted?

Quote:
For convenience, we sort Christian denominations into four groups: the Anglican Community, Eastern Orthodox churches, Protestant denominations, and Roman Catholicism. This is one of many common classification methods.
It is important to keep in mind that Fundamentalist, other Evangelical, mainline, and liberal Protestant denominations vary greatly in beliefs, teachings and practices. Some consider them so different that they form two different religions

About.com: http://www.religioustolerance.org/christ.htm

Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Christianity is one religion. Those who believe Jesus was the son of G-d. It has a spectrum of belief though and different denominations.
But each one of these denominations paint such a different picture of god that no one really gets a solid, distinct idea of this god - they may as well just divide up or finally come to the realization that there's a lot of made up elements of this god fellow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality