Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
God's personality is described in the Bible.

Both in the NT and OT.
Right. So then he's basically a bipolar, narcissistic, sadistic genocidal sociopath that would make Hitler look like Mother Theresa.

We already knew that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You're joking right???? Seriously....you have the OT god killing and squashing everyone....then you have the NT loving god. You honestly don't see any personality difference between the two????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I've always thought of God as a narcissist, based on what people say about Him. He can be pretty nice if you suck up to him, but if you don't, he apparently has anger management issues. Mind you, I've never met him (I'm thinking He may be one of those mythological types people believe in, like the tooth fairy), so I'm just going on hear-say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So?

Is God not allowed to change how He operates?

I remember somewhere in the OT Exodus 32) where God was angry with the Jews and was going to wipe them out, but Moses convinced God to have mercy.

God can change His mind.
Moderator cut: deleted post

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Right. So then he's basically a bipolar, narcissistic, sadistic genocidal sociopath that would make Hitler look like Mother Theresa.

We already knew that
It is the profound ignorance of the psychological basis of the negative human emotions that enables so many otherwise intelligent and adult human beings to embrace a God with such human psychological weaknesses . . . like jealousy, anger, vengeance, egotism . . . etc. It is deeply disturbing to see its prevalence and tenacity. Unfortunately it serves the ends of the evil men who promote it for their own power and gain . . . so it is unlikely to be erased from society very easily.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-29-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
The question I have is this. Were the writers of the OT and the writers of the NT simply projecting human personality traits in their description of the particular God that they were writing about? The writers of the OT were involved in developing a much different story line than the writers of the NT. The plots in the OT and in the NT were very different. The role that God played in each was likewise very different. In order to make something as non-humanly amazing as God (after all, he was the creator of the whole universe) understandable to the people, they had to give him personality traits that people could relate to. Isn't that why God takes on this person-like form? He's even given a gender (male father figure).

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
i don't see how what i described fits into believing in the bible or the supernatural. i don't believe in either. in fact i generally shy away from the word "god" to describe what i believe for that very reason. people seem to confuse me for being a christian or a spiritualist. i just believe in the universe, energy, and physics, and if i have to call something god, that is what i call god. but generally i describe myself as an atheist because that's the closest description to what i believe.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
My mother has spent her whole adult life caring for her children, largely on her own and at the expense of any kind of social life or personal enjoyment outside of her family. God saw fit to "bless" her with a son born too premature to survive, a daughter born premature with cerebral palsy, and another son who died at 18.

She also got to see her mother wither away and die PAINFULLY from cancer and her younger and only brother also passed away from a heart attack.

I guess whatever mess she made must have been pretty huge for such a "fantastic" God to let her deal with all that suffering. But much like God, there is no evidence for this.

Moderator cut: delete
God loved her no matter what you may think of the outside appearances. The only thing God cares about is the soul of the person. Is it loving? Kind? Forgiving? I'm sure your mother had those attributes. What I'm merely getting at is if it were not for our first parents failure to just listen to God and ask for His love, we would not be where we are today. God has Laws that govern the universe. When you go outside those laws, bad things happen. If you owned a company and an employee didn't do things that were in the handbook on a daily basis, would you repremand that employee? Same with God. We cannot go around blaming Him for every little thing. He asked us to Love each other. How many people on this planet do just that. I guarantee you, not every one. So we have to pay the price and fix what we broke. Even the innocent suffer because of the one. You know that as I'm sure you've seen that in your life by others. One does the dirty work, all the rest get the blame. It's not God's fault we are where we are. It's ours and it won't get better until we fix it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
God loved her no matter what you may think of the outside appearances. The only thing God cares about is the soul of the person. Is it loving? Kind? Forgiving? I'm sure your mother had those attributes. What I'm merely getting at is if it were not for our first parents failure to just listen to God and ask for His love, we would not be where we are today. God has Laws that govern the universe. When you go outside those laws, bad things happen. If you owned a company and an employee didn't do things that were in the handbook on a daily basis, would you repremand that employee? Same with God. We cannot go around blaming Him for every little thing. He asked us to Love each other. How many people on this planet do just that. I guarantee you, not every one. So we have to pay the price and fix what we broke. Even the innocent suffer because of the one. You know that as I'm sure you've seen that in your life by others. One does the dirty work, all the rest get the blame. It's not God's fault we are where we are. It's ours and it won't get better until we fix it.
Don't you find it a little strange that an all powerful God that can create the universe (all of existence itself) gets so ticked off at his two kids (Adam & Eve) for eating a piece of fruit that he places what amounts to a death sentence on them after booting them out of the house, and then he places a hex on all their future generations? That sound loving to you? I think whomever wrote that part of the story was projecting their own major ego problems on their God character.

That's like telling your kids, "I want you to stay out of the refrigerator when you come home. And I dare you to disobey me, I just dare you. I can make your life, and everyone else's life, very miserable if you do." What kind of a person would do that?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Don't you find it a little strange that an all powerful God that can create the universe (all of existence itself) gets so ticked off at his two kids (Adam & Eve) for eating a piece of fruit that he places what amounts to a death sentence on them after booting them out of the house and then, places a hex on all their future generations? That sound loving to you? I think whomever wrote that part of the story was projecting their own major ego problems on their God character.

That's like telling your kids, "I want you to stay out of the refrigerator when you come home. And I dare you to disobey me, I just dare you. I can make your life, and everyone else's life, very miserable if you do."

What kind of a person would do that?
My earlier post answers this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
However, if god does exist, I would think of god as being a jerk.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,692 times
Quote:
Don't you find it a little strange that an all powerful God that can create the universe (all of existence itself) gets so ticked off at his two kids (Adam & Eve) for eating a piece of fruit that he places what amounts to a death sentence on them after booting them out of the house, and then he places a hex on all their future generations? That sound loving to you? I think whomever wrote that part of the story was projecting their own major ego problems on their God character.

That's like telling your kids, "I want you to stay out of the refrigerator when you come home. And I dare you to disobey me, I just dare you. I can make your life, and everyone else's life, very miserable if you do." What kind of a person would do that?
He still loved them and when they denied that which was offered, to become at one with God through Divine Love, He only took that priveldge away. It was Jesus who had that Gift rebestowed.

God never stopped loving us, we stopped loving God. The workings of the universe have to do with our soul and nothing to do with the material body. It was in the soul that the Divine Love was withdrawn. All that we were left with was natural Love.

Through natural love, the world went into decline because we had not received the GIft of at-onement. The natural love is what made us what we are today because it can falter. Divine Love cannot in any way falter.

When A&E had only natural love, they used the inclination to sin to commit the acts of sin. If they had accepted the Gift, they would not have sinned because they could have became perfect as God is perfect and once that would have happened, the inclination to sin and sin would not be in our makeup.

But we have natural love overpowering Divine Love in our societies today and that's why so many fail at being loving to all. Once we get back to the Love we were created for, sin and evil will not exist.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Do you think God has a personality, just like your parents, friends, co-workers, or anyone else that you are familiar with?
Based on how god is represented by his 'children' as they refer to themselves, yes, and a mighty unpleasant chap he is.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Are they basically two different personalities? Is the God of the OT, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, a more sterner God than the God of the NT (where he is a Trinity of 3 different beings: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit)? Doesn't the OT God have a much different personality than the NT's God?
He either has multiple personality disorder or is bipolar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality